Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with Helix setup

manix1979

There are a million answers to your question, which I don't totally know for sure I understand, but I think I do.

Start with an amp block and a cab block (avoid amp+cab blocks if you're going to use FX) that is close to something you like. get the amp sounding right, mess with the cab block's mic and distance and early reflections, and slowly add from there.

I'll go out on a limb and say your playback system is easily 50-60% of your tone. If it's important to scratch that "amp in the room" itch, the only thing that may make you happy is... an amp in the room. You could certainly run Helix preamp models into the FX returns on the back of your amp and get very, very close to the real thing.

If you're not terribly picky, there are FRFR (Full-Range Flat Response) speaker solutions that, if placed in a similar location and with the same size drivers, have satisfied a lot of users. In this case, you'd use full amp and cab models and the FRFR speaker just makes things louder.

An inexpensive PA speaker or studio monitors will likely never make any modeler sound like an amp in the room. That's not a limitation of modeling, but a limitation of physics, acoustics, and loudspeaker design.

An inexpensive PA speaker or studio monitors will likely never make any modeler sound like an amp in the room. That's not a limitation of modeling, but a limitation of physics, acoustics, and loudspeaker design.

And for many of us, this is not a "curse" of modeling, but a distinct benefit of it. Not all, but some of us, actually LIKE it this way...

Good info so far but not exact what i wanted.

In the tuning room i use the line6 spider valve hd100

amp and a marshall 1960a cab.

i just need a block what sounds similar like that to make setups at home. usefull could be IR from the cab.

in the amp i use no effects because i use the direct in at the backside.