Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix effects and drives order

archisc

no matter where you put the fx the cab should be after the amp somewhere in the chain, stuff in between don't matter but if the cab ain't there it will sound "fizzy" unless you are using an external guitar amp and cab.

I was stuck thinking like you at first "must be as in the real world" but since have found that I like better having my volume pedal at the end of the chain so I have full force drive tone at very low levels when I need it instead of the former where the amp tone would clean up if I have the volume pedal first in the chain

.....since have found that I like better having my volume pedal at the end of the chain so I have full force drive tone at very low levels when I need it instead of the former where the amp tone would clean up if I have the volume pedal first in the chain

This was one thing that was annoying about my old analog rig - on some songs I wanted the volume pedal before the dirt so I could fade in from clean to gain (like using guitar volume knob) and on some songs I wanted after the dirt so the signal could be really dirty and fade in like that.  The great thing with the Helix is you can put the volume pedal wherever you want on each song.

Should Helix effects and drives etc be placed between amp and cab as is real world?

I see a lot of ppl place amp and cab next to each other instead.

One of the cooler tones ive dialed is a cleaner amp > cab amp-> Hi Watt emulation. Try that in the real world.

Use real world as your road map, because your more predictable tones will be there, but be open to anything sounding cool or being possible.

Presets are much like a song in that they grow or evolve over time. Hitting "save" doesnt mean the preset is finished, but more that you are done for the time being,

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2016 at 1:13 PM, archisc said:

Should Helix effects and drives etc be placed between amp and cab as is real world?

I see a lot of ppl place amp and cab next to each other instead.

What I found myself is that the only effect that shoudl be ahead of the amp is the distoriton models. For whatever reason, effects before the amp color things in a bad way. You also need to use EQ and Low/High Cut features along with global eq to get rid of the harshness and digital clipping

42 minutes ago, ddmilne said:

You also need to use EQ and Low/High Cut features along with global eq to get rid of the harshness and digital clipping

I don't.  I think you've got problems with the way you are doing your patches.

9 minutes ago, line6bbd said:

I don't.  I think you've got problems with the way you are doing your patches.

I totally agree.  I use EQ (NEVER Global) but only in the final stage for any minor tweaks I might need including high and low cuts if necessary, and never to get rid of digital clipping.  If I were to have digital clipping, which I've never had with the Helix, I'd have to closely examine what I was doing in the rest of the signal chain because I would have something seriously messed up.  My first response to harshness lies with the cabinet, mic, and mic placement just as it is in the real world.

• Upvote 1

I've heard something much like digital clipping, when the output from an amp was too hot. I doubt it is digital clipping - the signal data is likely to be in floating point form which wouldn't clip in the usual sense of the word - but it's certainly possible to 'overload' blocks without getting any visible warning of it.