Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help Workbench And Variax

when i go into the workbench how come it starts to download from the variax right away and is it taking all of the instrutment out of the variax. Should i let it do this or stop it right away if i dont stop it will i have any instrutments left on the variax  thank you for your help  cal.

I think I must be missing something with Workbench HD.

1. My JTV59 battery is fully charged.

2. I've connected my variax (ethernet) cable to the workbench USB adaptor, which is connected through to the PC.

3. I've plugged my 1/4" cable into my guitar.

From here I have two green LEDs, and workbench can talk to the JTV.

However, if I then plug the other end of the 1/4" cable into anything - e.g. my HD500 - the LED on the guitar side blinks red and I lose my link with Workbench.

So, the only time I can use workbench is when the guitar isn't connected to my POD (or anything else) which means that I can't hear whatever tweaks I might make unless I:

- make the change,

- then plug in to the POD,

- then listen,

- then unplug and make another adjustment,

- rinse and repeat.

Surely this isn't how it's supposed to work. Do I just have to wait until support for Workbench via the POD is released? Or am I doing something wrong??

Brook

However, if I then plug the other end of the 1/4" cable into anything - e.g. my HD500 - the LED on the guitar side blinks red and I lose my link with Workbench.

So, what happens if you have the 1/4" cable plugged in first and then plug the VDI cable in? I'm wondering you're not seeing a slight power bump in the Variax when you're plugging into the HD500. Also, are you using a regular guitar cable? You're not per chance using a TRS cable?

Hi Phil,
Thanks for responding.

No it's not a TRS cable. Just the two contacts on the plug. I've also tried a different guitar cable with the same results.

I tried plugging the VDI cable in last but it still blinks red. I've also tried plugging in a standard ethernet cable between my guitar and the box just to see if there was a problem with the VDI cable. No luck there either.

The JTV is (obviously) on firmware 2.0 and the HD500 is on the latest (v2.10). I've actually reflashed the JTV to 2.0 a couple of times (via the POD) just to be sure that it worked.

Does it make sense that the guitar should detect that the 1/4" cable is plugged in even when nothing is connected at the other end? Does yours work this way?

Just to clarify further, even if the HD500 is turned off, as soon as I plug the 1/4" cable into its 'Guitar In' jack, the LED on the Workbench USB box goes from green to blinking red.

Good to hear that this isn't how it's supposed to work, anyway.

Brook

Yes it is.

I just tried unplugging my laptop from the power supply, so it's running on battery. I then unplugged the POD from its power supply.

So, there is no AC power involved.

Same problem occurs. As soon as I plug the 1/4" cable into the POD 'guitar in' jack the LED goes from green to red blinking.

I don't get it.

Ha! I figured it out! Thanks guys, for pointing me in the right direction. It was a grounding problem, but not relating to the power supply.

After testing it with the POD and laptop power supplies unplugged, I then went one step further and unplugged all cables from the POD. That did the trick.

The root cause appears to be the USB connection between my laptop and the POD, which I use to run POD HD500 Edit. Therefore there was a 'circuit' that went from:

laptop->USB input on POD->guitar in->JTV->VDI cable->workbench adaptor->back to laptop

I don't know if this points to an 'issue' with one of the Line6 devices, or with my laptop. Or maybe that's just how it has to be. Anyway, it was an easy fix in the end! :)