Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just tried Red Wire IRs - Helix Heaven

pb-272

Well I've owned the rack for a week. Ive had 2 rehearsals, one solo session in studio, and about 30 hours of tweaking, fiddling, testing, A/B-ing and research.

It takes quite some time to dial this baby in, and I'm finally getting the results I'm after. If there was just one key learning I wanted to share with newbies like me......the one big thing I did that made the single biggest tone improvement......its getting third party IR speaker/cab/mic combos.  Period.

I'd spent hours with my Boss A/B selector comparing the Helix tone with my JVM, my GT100, my Mesa DR, and I began just accepting this device wouldn't sound as good as the tube amps and was on par with the GT100 until I found the answer...

The Ownhammers are good. The Red Wires even better.  I wanted a simple Marshall rock sound that worked well with my QSC K12s and mixer. I didn't want muffled, I didn't want ice pick...I wanted 'just right'.  Thank you Red Wire Marshall 412 1960 Greenback.....

On the cleans I wanted sparkly and alive...thank you Red Wire Fender Twin Jensen.....I am now in Helix heaven. 

I'm now seriously tempted to buy the whole Red Wire collection. I intend to switch between different IRs song to song and even within songs, its just so appealing. This device makes the impossible possible. Love it.

I'm using the Matchstick amp for rhythm and Plexi jump for lead btw.

• Upvote 2

I recently got the RedWirez BigBox which also comes with their mixIR2 plugin, this allows you to mix Irs together to get the result you want, then it can export the mixed IR file for importing into the Helix.

So the way I do it is get my patch with no IRs or Cabs and then stick the mixIR2 in a DAW on the audio from the Helix. You can then mess around trying combinations of cabs/mic positions till you get what you are after. Export to a wav file, send to helix and change the patch to include your IR. Job done.

The big box collection with mixIR2 are well worth the cash.

I recently got the RedWirez BigBox which also comes with their mixIR2 plugin, this allows you to mix Irs together to get the result you want, then it can export the mixed IR file for importing into the Helix.

So the way I do it is get my patch with no IRs or Cabs and then stick the mixIR2 in a DAW on the audio from the Helix. You can then mess around trying combinations of cabs/mic positions till you get what you are after. Export to a wav file, send to helix and change the patch to include your IR. Job done.

This sounds like a great tool. I have read about mixIR and hadn't thought about this method. Thanks for the tip. !!!

• Upvote 1

"this allows you to mix Irs together to get the result you want, then it can export the mixed IR file for importing into the Helix"

Wow thanks never thought of that it´s even better than the usual IR files that came with Big Box that i use now..

I've never been using the popular IR packs, RedWirez or Ownhammer, although I use cab sim all the time for hobby recordings.

So far I've just been using cabs from GuitarRig. 

I've often been tempted by the IR packs though, and I know they sound killer. But the thing that has kind of scared me away so far is the amount of files you get per speaker/cab. Like, it's not just a matter of picking a Marshall cab... you also have to decide on mic, which angle, which distance etc. Feels a bit overwhelming to be honest. And going into the Helix I guess you would have to pick one of the files, or mix them in a DAW like suggested above.

So any tips on how you guys approach a new IR pack? Where do you start? Any particular angle/distance/mic that you always pick as a starting point?

I just pick the setting I'm used to playing live which is an sm57 1 inch away from centre. I understand what you mean about overwhelming options so I keep it as simple as possible. I like the sm57, i like it close and centre, and I like the cab....so i just go with that combo. If i get bored one day I might test other mics etc.

Are you saying that Guitar Rig 5 ships with cab IRs Helix can use? And that you like them better than the cabs built into Helix?

Where would I find those?

Are you saying that Guitar Rig 5 ships with cab IRs Helix can use? And that you like them better than the cabs built into Helix?

Where would I find those?

No sorry, actually I'm still in the "prepare to buy" phase, so I don't own a Helix.... yet ;)

I'm using cab sim with some of my other rack gear for recording tones, so I'm using GuitarRig as a DAW plugin. Just for cab sim...

I've never been using the popular IR packs, RedWirez or Ownhammer, although I use cab sim all the time for hobby recordings.

I've often been tempted by the IR packs though, and I know they sound killer. But the thing that has kind of scared me away so far is the amount of files you get per speaker/cab. Like, it's not just a matter of picking a Marshall cab... you also have to decide on mic, which angle, which distance etc. Feels a bit overwhelming to be honest. And going into the Helix I guess you would have to pick one of the files, or mix them in a DAW like suggested above.

So any tips on how you guys approach a new IR pack? Where do you start? Any particular angle/distance/mic that you always pick as a starting point?

Man... Guitar rig can not stand in the same line with the helix.... With using IR or not. I truly recommend investing the 7 dollars on your favorite cab from 3 Sigma, you will be able to understand how big this upgrade is. Regarding how to use it.... It will sound great even in the first setup you choose. From there just try some other setting to understand if you need it.

Man... Guitar rig can not stand in the same line with the helix.... With using IR or not. I truly recommend investing the 7 dollars on your favorite cab from 3 Sigma, you will be able to understand how big this upgrade is. Regarding how to use it.... It will sound great even in the first setup you choose. From there just try some other setting to understand if you need it.

Yeah, I know... I should just jump into it. It's not about the money (all IR packs I know of are very reasonably priced, considering what you get) it's simply about learning new tech/recording stuff versus playing the damn guitar ;) But I know this particular time investment is almost sure to pay of quickly...

The 3 Sigma IRs will be a big improvement.  I wasn't really feeling that I was getting close to the tones of my real tube amps until I invested in some IRs from Rosen and 3 Sigma.  Now I feel like I am super close if not better than the tones I can get from my tube amp.

Yeah, I know... I should just jump into it. It's not about the money (all IR packs I know of are very reasonably priced, considering what you get) it's simply about learning new tech/recording stuff versus playing the damn guitar ;) But I know this particular time investment is almost sure to pay of quickly...

Totally understand you.... Since I got this unit I didn't got my self into playing realy, only messing with this limitless dream unit. It takes some time to make your personal tone translated to the helix but ones it's done.... You will be back rocking. I found my self now with 3 main presets that covers most if my needs... Twin reverb with 3 Sigma cab, marshal 45 with Sigma cab and soldano lead with Sigma cab. Can Def recommend to try them. I actually find it now better than my Vox ac 15 tone.... (playing through my Krk monitors) .

• Upvote 1

Well I've owned the rack for a week. Ive had 2 rehearsals, one solo session in studio, and about 30 hours of tweaking, fiddling, testing, A/B-ing and research.

It takes quite some time to dial this baby in, and I'm finally getting the results I'm after. If there was just one key learning I wanted to share with newbies like me......the one big thing I did that made the single biggest tone improvement......its getting third party IR speaker/cab/mic combos.  Period.

I'd spent hours with my Boss A/B selector comparing the Helix tone with my JVM, my GT100, my Mesa DR, and I began just accepting this device wouldn't sound as good as the tube amps and was on par with the GT100 until I found the answer...

The Ownhammers are good. The Red Wires even better.  I wanted a simple Marshall rock sound that worked well with my QSC K12s and mixer. I didn't want muffled, I didn't want ice pick...I wanted 'just right'.  Thank you Red Wire Marshall 412 1960 Greenback.....

On the cleans I wanted sparkly and alive...thank you Red Wire Fender Twin Jensen.....I am now in Helix heaven. 

I'm now seriously tempted to buy the whole Red Wire collection. I intend to switch between different IRs song to song and even within songs, its just so appealing. This device makes the impossible possible. Love it.

Yeah Redwirez are good IRs as long as you are ready to invest some time finding the right IR for the sound you're after. I've dialed in some patches where I use two IRs left and right. On one I put a cab with a Ribbon and on the other the same cab with a SM57. Great result.

The best way to avoid "overwhelm" and to avoid having to "reinvent the wheel" is to look at the way amps and cabs are recorded in the real world, both live and studio environments. Look up recording "tips and tricks" and that should get you well on your way. While equipment selection and basic recording fundamentals are important, play around and find what sounds best to you. Remember, the same setup with two different players can sound completely different.

As to mic selection, there are basic guidelines. Different mics are used to enhance certain frequencies. Also, from a physical recording standpoint, it's not a good idea to use a high end condenser mic inside a kick drum. It won't end well! A lot of general recording is accomplished by surprisingly few mics, mostly of the dynamic type.

Being able to use EQ well is also important. Just read up on some basic recording set ups and you'll accomplish a lot in a short time.

I'm not fully convinced of the RedWirez. I've tested a few/many IRs from Ownhammer, RedWirez and 3Sigma and my personal ranking is:

1.  3Sigma

2.  Ownhammer

3.  RedWirez

4.  Internal Cab-Sim

Its interesting that you viewed Helix was on par with Gt100....

My experiences with GT-10, GT100 and Podhd were that Helix was a lot better than others even without IR..

I wonder how other people test out so many IR files on Helix....

Totally greed - IR's take the helix to the next level though I prefer the Ownhammers better that the Redwirzs (I have the "big box)  - both are excellent and provide so many options. 

The GT-100 is a fantastic unit in many ways (especially for the money)... but the amp/cab models are weak compared to Axe-FX, Kemper, Helix.

They sound more static (less responsive to dynamics and guitar volume)

FWIW, The K-12s are great monitor speakers... but they have a bit of a gap in the upper mids.

That can help create separation for vocals... but that can cause issues when used as FRFR for guitar.

The Yamaha DXR-12 sounds better for this particular purpose.  (I actually prefer the K-12s for vocal wedges)

OK, I'm actually quite surprised at how good the redwirez are. I've used a few different brands of IR's and I have to say the ability to mix multiple IR's together to get the exact sound you like is actually pretty amazing. I've actually achieved the sound I like in less time than it takes to dial-in all the different components, EQ's, compressors etc. to get it to where you want it inside helix. I think I have less components in my signal chain now. I also like the fact that you can use it as a channel strip plug in and record directly with the highest quality IR's in logic. My recordings sound crystal clear I'm super impressed. Then once you get the combination of IR's that you like you can mix it down to a final IR export it and imported back into the helix to take with you. Absolutely love it.

Thanks for the review OP it made me go out and get the whole big box today.

I took the plunge during the week and bought the whole Big Box. Its unreal. Ive settled on a "stock sound" that places a Minotaur in front of a Teemah going into a Matchstick Jumped Amp. My lead sound comes courtesy of the Plexi Jumped. I use 2 IRs that I switch between - the 1960a Greenback 412 and the Matchless 212 from redwirez. Throw in a wah a looper and some modulation, delay and auto filter.

I have access to a clean(ish) sound in the same patch by turning the overdrives off. This sound is the basis for 85% of my setlist. I have a separate ultra clean patch, and some nuances in certain songs where I need specific combinations of effects/amps. Eg. for Creep I need a genuine metal sound, for Zombie I need a deeper sounding IR etc.

Incredible how easy driving this thing is...