Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 loud humming in triode mode :/

jonboyuk

Hi all,

So I picked up my second hand DT25 last week and it's been great. Now - it's just started humming loudly in Triode mode (but not Pentode). I would say, new tubes, but the guy who sold them to me only recently replaced them.

Although by his own admission, he just stuck the 3 new ones in and didn't bias them. Is that likely to be the cause? He used electro-harmonix 12AX7 and EL84 tubes. 

Any ideas :( Bit sad because I just bought this thing off eBay and now I have no recompense.

Sigh

Ouch, I'd say take it to an amp technician if it's having these issues for another day or two. I wouldn't recommend biasing the tubes yourself, nor tampering with it unless you have experience with amps, I killed a fender champ like that x.x

Sadly there is only one in the UK and I'd have to drive 3 hours (each way) to get there and back which I don't have the time for :( I think you're right though, I'll take it to a guitar workshop and get them to replace / rebias the tubes. 

E&M in Milton Keynes?

If you're near London, E&M would be the close one. They're pretty good.

If you're near the midlands, there's Mark Wright Music in Northampton.

Mark used to be a tech at Line 6 Rugby, when we had a Rugby location.

Now he has his own shop and still works on Line 6 gear. He's a good mate

and he's knows his stuff.

I gave Mark a call, VERY nice guy indeed. He said he'd be happy to do the work but thought (without looking) that it was most likely to be valve related and that I should just get someone local to deal with it. But if they can't, I'll just ship it up to him.

Thanks for the contact, he's a top guy!