Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it just me...

regalpierot

Maybe it is, clumsy as the years go on, much as I love the joystick I find that when I'm using it to cycle through blocks in a chain to get from one to the other I'll invariably mistakenly spin the thing which worst case scenario will alter the block. When you spin back in the previous amp\cab\effect it takes on the settings of its default, naturally. Normally I just away from and back to the whole preset to put it back to where I started from but invariably I've altered a number of things in the edit session and all those also get reverted.

Stupid gripe I know, but just wondering if anyone else finds themselves inadvertently doing this?

• Upvote 2

Maybe it is, clumsy as the years go on, much as I love the joystick I find that when I'm using it to cycle through blocks in a chain to get from one to the other I'll invariably mistakenly spin the thing which worst case scenario will alter the block. When you spin back in the previous amp\cab\effect it takes on the settings of its default, naturally. Normally I just away from and back to the whole preset to put it back to where I started from but invariably I've altered a number of things in the edit session and all those also get reverted.

Stupid gripe I know, but just wondering if anyone else finds themselves inadvertently doing this?

Happens to me all the time. I do wish that it had a separate directional pad instead, way too easy to turn the knob while trying to go left or right.

Definitely not just you. I have had the Helix since last year and although I make this error rarely now I still don't like how fiddly the knob is and the feeling of dread and surplus of caution that accompany its use. There is more than one idea on Ideascale on how to address the issue, you can find them by clicking on the Helix ideas and then doing a search on "Joystick". I like some of the suggested remedies better than my own and they all seem to have merit:

Here is mine, but hey, vote for them all, why not:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-joystick-require-larger-turn-before-effect-changes/788248-23508

Conversely, I also don't like that the Preset knob ISN'T a joystick, because then I can't switch between my setlists with that knob, which is very unintuitive to me. It seems like a completely superfluous knob.

I agree. I think I prefer the way for instance the way the controls on the Roland GR-55 are set up.  The navigation and selection are all well integrated into an almost flush inset dial and switches on the right side of the control panel that seem positively immune to destruction by being kicked although I don't know how susceptible to spilled liquid they are. The design is definitely far superior from an ergonomic perspective IMHO.

I've been lucky with the joystick and not had any major errors with it yet.

The thing that irks me is that when you are scrolling through lists of things (presets, effects, settings) it automatically activates each one as you scroll through the list.. as far as I know there is no way to get to the one you want at the bottom of the list without going through the others.

If I am trying to select Send or Return block 4 for example I have to scroll past Send/Return number 1 that is already active with my H&K amp - and it often causes ear splitting feedback for half a second.  That can't be good for the circuits and it's certainly not good for my ears.

I know someone else has mentioned this with the Setlists - and it is annoying enough there - but this tops that!.. the joystick should allow you to scroll to the one you want and then you should have to press the joystick to activate that one.

• Upvote 1

I know someone else has mentioned this with the Setlists - and it is annoying enough there - but this tops that!.. the joystick should allow you to scroll to the one you want and then you should have to press the joystick to activate that one.

Go post it on ideascale, and then here, you can already count on one vote  :D

It stopped being a problem for me after a few weeks, so there is hope.

Ditto. I still grab the completely wrong control sometimes, or think I'm editing a particular block just because I'm thinking about it not because it's selected, clearly pilot error, but I don't find that the joystick misinterprets what I mean it to do very often, if at all.

I invariably touch one of the Footswitches and end up changing an unwanted parameter. This usually happens when I try to make changes at the gig. Meh. With every desirable feature comes an equal and opposite negative consequence.

Ditto. I still grab the completely wrong control sometimes, or think I'm editing a particular block just because I'm thinking about it not because it's selected, clearly pilot error, but I don't find that the joystick misinterprets what I mean it to do very often, if at all.

I do that all the time. What do you mean it can't read my mind? GOSH LINE 6!

I invariably touch one of the Footswitches and end up changing an unwanted parameter.

Yeah, this too. But like you say, it happens because the UI is so responsive, in so many ways, which I love.

After a while, you learn to be careful not to step on the gas at the same time as the brake, even though they're close. You learn because you figure out that it matters, and you need to pay attention at those moments, at first, then it becomes second nature. I hope.

And luckily, this isn't the missile launch UI.

Conversely, I also don't like that the Preset knob ISN'T a joystick, because then I can't switch between my setlists with that knob, which is very unintuitive to me. It seems like a completely superfluous knob.

:)  :) Agree with this! I have exactly the same reflexes. 

I invariably touch one of the Footswitches and end up changing an unwanted parameter. This usually happens when I try to make changes at the gig. Meh. With every desirable feature comes an equal and opposite negative consequence.

I was forever doing that too... I just turned off the capacitative foot switches facility and now that doesn't happen any more.

I was forever doing that too... I just turned off the capacitative foot switches facility and now that doesn't happen any more.

I've considered doing just that but during initial patch creation it comes in pretty handy. After that though, this feature seems a bit accident prone.

I understand the issues but it was only a problem for me the first few days. Now I seldom if ever do it (watch me start again after saying this). I actually like the thing like it is but I seem to be in the minority. It is no more difficulty than my PS4 controller. I have seen a couple cool ideas that might improve it with the current know though. Someone had this rubber thing they put on it that allowed everything but turning it. You could pull it off to turn it.