Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX- Bold As Love

electricfactory

This is an instrumental track I put together to demonstrate HELIX in a vintage and somewhat ‘organic’ Marshall Plexi setting, best illustrated w/ Jimi Hendrix' AXIS BOLD AS LOVE;

* the guitar a vintage Fender Oly white Stratocaster, .010 guage strings 
* HELIX direct into console via XLR connectors to ProTools
* HELIX signal path, please see pics below
* I used two[2] MESA 2x12 cab IR 
  • Upvote 5

Very nice !!!    However, Jimi recorded most rhythm guitar parts with a Fender twin.

Very nice !!!    However, Jimi recorded most rhythm guitar parts with a Fender twin.

Good point, although the jury is out as to which of those early tracks was recorded by which one of the three amps he's known to have used in the recording of both ARE YOU EXPERIENCED and AXIS BOLD AS LOVE- the 100wt Marshall Plexi, Fender Bassman and as you note the Fender Twin.

To my ears the HELIX Fender Twin amp model didn't quite have the girth and tonal roundness of AXIS BOLD AS LOVE that the HELIX Marshall Plexi amp model does[ quite well in my opinion], so I used that and the Line 6 amp model to imiate Jimi's clean-ish and overdriven tones.

Very cool, nice work. I'm in the Boston area, saw you multiple times back in the day, and you always had a great handle on those Jimi flavors, both tone and playing.

Any chance of you sharing some of those presets? (No pressure of course.)

Very cool, nice work. I'm in the Boston area, saw you multiple times back in the day, and you always had a great handle on those Jimi flavors, both tone and playing.

Any chance of you sharing some of those presets? (No pressure of course.)

Thanks Zooey, am off to record this morning/ afternoon but will circle back later this evening and pm you the presets unless others are interested upon which time I'll post here in the thread

You don't need to ask, I'm sure there are others who are interested :)

You could post it here on the thread, or on the Line 6 CustomTone patch sharing thing.

Thanks in advance.

Love it! Great job. Started following you on SoundCloud too.

Count me in as one who would love to get the patch with your configurations / settings.

Thanks in advance man! Once again... great work!

Patch details and constituents are listed above in the first and 18th post, thanks!

just a thought.....since Jimi use a Fender Bassman and Fender Twin for rhythm guitar studio tracks,did you try using a Bass amp /cab config to get the clean (girth?? low def) sound?

Again...just a thought.

just a thought.....since Jimi use a Fender Bassman and Fender Twin for rhythm guitar studio tracks,did you try using a Bass amp /cab config to get the clean (girth?? low def) sound?

Again...just a thought.

Hmm, no I didn't but it sounds interesting, maybe you could post something using those blocks ?

Quite honestly i think the people of this forum would be more interested in your thought process in going for the tones you made.

(ya know...what didn't work and what you feel needs improving with in the Helix.)

As noted in another thread, same here - lived in the Framingham/Holliston area for many years, and Jon was always high up on the "get out and see this guy" list.

Did a quick search, noted that The Rat closed down some time ago - but apparently The Paradise is still up and running - lotsa good times there, both on-stage, off-stage, and doing tech for various bands.  The more things change......

Hi

You can just upload the preset to the Line 6 Helix Custom Tone Library. At http://line6.com/customtone/browse/helix/

There's an Upload button at the upper right of the page. Maybe categorize it under Hendrix.

If you want to you can copy the link to the page with your custom tone and paste it here or just inform that it's there.

If someone searches by Hendrix they will see the name of the preset listed after it's uploaded.

It can be downloaded from there.

Thanks/Cheers!!

Are those IRs from roscoe5 here? If so, very cool, nice work from you both! (Well nice work in any case, just trying to figure out which IRs you mean...)

Yes I am, MesRec212_2ioaD_6L6 and MesRec212_2ioaD_20_EL84.

Yes, roscoe5's IR's, sorry meant to make that clear

Very cool man!  Made my day. You make them sound a lot better than I do :)  I'll could definitely use your patch too.

Here's the link to the Dropbox folder for you guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h5ky6jrpmb6blfs/AACgZuRfOPpN-NtrRsmolUVia?dl=0

Great work roscoe5, what's next ??

My only other guitar cab right now is a Mesa Mark V open back combo with V30 speaker. I could certainly do some IR's of that with my different Mesa tube power amps. I should probably do a solid state power amp (Mesa Walkabout or M9) too since that's what the pro guys seem to do to get uncolored IR's.

Other than that, I can certainly do more mics (condenser, other dynamics) and positions of the Recto 212 also, as well as a couple of other tube amps I haven't tried it with a solid state amp yet.

I've also been thinking about IR'ing my Mesa 1x12" Scout & 2x12" bass cabs with my AKG D112 mic, and maybe AKG P420 condenser and Audix D series dynamics. I've never seen IR's of 12" bass cabs, so maybe they can fill a gap. I have Mesa 400+, Mesa M9, and Mesa Walkabout bass amps that would be great power amps to make them with. Since Helix has models of the Mesa 400+ and M9, they should pair nicely.

EDIT: Picked up Mesa Black Shadow C90 speakers, used in their Lone Star amps and others.  Planning on doing some speaker swaps in the Mark V 1x12 combo and Recto 2x12 and making multi-power amp IR's of those.