Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix vs AX-8

sb77

maybe contentious..... !

I am pretty much decided on a purchase of either a Helix or a Fractal product and if the latter the more affordable AX-8 (which seems to have gone up in price anyway...?) yet can't get to try either before buying. I am certain if I had both in front of me I could decide no problem based on what I hear and for me the best high quality high gain amps are almost certainly what is going to do it.

I can see plenty good stuff with Helix, all adequately discussed here, and a bunch of stuff that is also not yet (if ever?) present and particularly MIDI tempo sync and a decent variety of delays.

Just how the **** to make a decision on something I cannot try and at this relatively high price point is not ideal?

Many of the other features (ease of use / display / control / rack or floor format ....)  are easy enough to assess and compare with videos and specs and all come secondary to sound & response IMO. And this is subjective to a large degree... so that doesn't much help.

Anybody that has both got any truly unbiased opinion on which of the 2 has the more "satisfying / realistic / playable " high gain amp models?

I would like to buy Helix but am just not sure and that is even ignoring many of the over-zealous emotional FA fans ( which seem to be a thing there).

The general consensus is that, out of the box, the AX8 high gains are better.

But put some IRs from Ownhammer ect, and the Helix is as good or better.

I don't have both, but if you look back on this forum people who have both have said as much.

Really the thing I have against the AX8 are the tones are grainy, while the Helix is very realistic when dialed in properly.

The answer to this question is always...

Yes. Definitely.

imho, if you really want 200+ amps and that matters to you more than ease of use, I/O flexibility (up to 4 chains in Helix as well as 4FX loops), USB Audio interface, EXP included (factor that into cost of the AX8)...

Well, you get the picture. For some people the AX8 is an awesome solution. For me, it wouldn't even work for what I do.

Only you can decide.

But in 2016, if you can't get a great sound out of one or the other, it's because you haven't learned the unit and tried hard enough... They are both sublime.

• Upvote 4

I'm with PeterHamm on this one.

I have both now, and it boils down to a few features and layout to me.

If you can't get good tones, be they heavy metal, cleans, crunches, hard rock, classic rock, then you probably haven't spent enough time on it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Always were going to be some fun replies...

There are a few that are

a ) wealthy enough to own both ( & good luck to them) and

b ) can be objective.

My particular preferences are specific -  "best" high gain amps & MIDI tempo on quality delay models.

I am not into quantity, I dont need yet another USB audio interface. Both devices have pros & cons.

Its difficult to be objective but its a lot easier not to be biased.

i don't fancy my chances asking this on the FA forum though -  seen way more intelligent stuff here.

I will throw this out to the lions to feed on: I have worked with both extensively, the Helix is back in it's box and on a shelf.

I'm interested in why you feel the AX8 puts the Helix into it's box?

Not sticking up for the Helix here as I'm gonna get an AX8 as well, I also have a Kemper the Helix and Kemper are better at different things, neither of them is in it's box though so I am interested in how the AX8 is so much better than the Helix.

I will throw this out to the lions to feed on: I have worked with both extensively, the Helix is back in it's box and on a shelf.

@Ribulous, slightly odd analogy explaining bias to all, the last line did stand out. And probably mostly what OP was looking for. What specifically was it that made you allegedly take a $1500 unit and seemingly shelve it in favor of the other one?

I've owned and used the Axe-FX XL+, Helix, and Kemper live and studio.

You can get good sounds (or poor sounds) out of all three.

Each has strengths

I kept the Helix and sold the Kemper and Axe-FX.

The Helix UI and form-factor are excellent... especially when playing live.

For me (cartage wise), taking out of the Axe-FX (in a rack) and a small computer (Surface Pro) to run Axe-Edit was a major step backward.

I'm sure the AX8 would be a lot more live/tweak friendly than the Axe-FX

With some of the Axe models, I just don't care for the way the distortion decays (too much "crackle" - not smooth).

Also not crazy about many of the stock cabs (which tend toward dark).

That all said, there are plenty of models/cabs/parameters to tweak.

I'll likely pickup an AX8, but I don't feel a pressing need to do so...

In the Helix, I've got a Bogner Uberschall patch that's great for heavy crunch... and an "acoustic" (for piezo equipped electric) patch that sounds a whole lot better than it should (uses a Taylor IR for body resonance).  That covers the bulk of my night.

What I like most about Helix is the UI.  If you can imagine a sound/tone, it's quick/easy to create it.

• Upvote 1

@jroseberry , I wouldn't count on the AX8 being live/tweak friendly as far as the tweaking ease.  While it's learnable, my AX8 is

nowhere near as easy to edit on as my Helix.  The ONLY thing that is easier (just because you click the "amp" button first on the Helix) is the amp edit knobs always being available on the fly.  However, you're bending down for both live.  hehe.  :)

The more I play with the AX8 since it came in, the more I feel like it will be the "backup" that sits in the studio the most, setup

for walk-in recording.

I'm finding the Helix to be my prefered weapon of choice, and less and less enthralled with all the extra amp models on the AX8.

By the time I tweak cabs/mics, etc. on the Helix, I can pretty much change the face on every amp in the Helix drastically.

It's about like having more amp models.

After having owned Axe FX II XL+ (sold), Kemper Rack (sold), Helix (still own), and now AX8 (still own), Helix is

one heck of a major player.  When they get all the bugs and kinks worked out, plus add a few more amps for the amp fiends,

I don't see how anyone could ignore Helix.

I've owned a crap ton of tube amps and digital modelers from tons of brands...  Helix convinces me more and more every day

why I just love the dang thing.  It's why I spend more time playing than tweaking... I tweak and then play for an hour or more.

By then, I'm left saying to myself "wasn't I supposed to be building presets???  Where the heck did the time go???  That was fun..."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I will continue to say that if you are just getting a unit for the models, and you don't need the routing, the pedals, the controls, the interface and the connectivity options.. sure there are other choices.   None of them do what the Helix does.  

And I'm actually going to go out on a limb and lollipop a whole bunch of people off with the truth.   If you are THAT concerned about the tone, why are you using a modeler in the first place....   and if the answer to that is "the convenience of multiple rigs that would just not be practical" then get a workstation that you can load with professional grade IR's and Models and call it a day.  And yes... take it on the road as your rig.   I know someone who shows up to the gigs with basically his Guitar and and his Laptop and he sounds damn good.

I wish I could answer MIDI tempo question on delays, but I don't use it and don't really know how to set it up. :(

If you mean syncing delays to TAP, just press the Delay block's Time parameter knob and it'll change to a note value, synced to Helix's tempo.

If you mean syncing delays to incoming MIDI beat clock, Helix doesn't currently do this.

Just to say the obvious, while you can't try either unit before buying, most reputable retailers will let you return a Helix within (typically) 30 days. Fractal gives you 14, but you have to wait months to actually get one. In theory there's no wait list for Helix, but in practice they're hard to find in stock, so you may have to wait there too, I did.

All due respect to the helpful posters above, but all the words in world, from anyone, aren't going to tell you what either of these is actually like, for you, with your guitar(s), playing style(s), and technique, for your music. In my experience, even with a Helix in hand, you can tell some things right off (UI is great, it's built like a tank, has a ton of connectivity options, scribble strips, yadda), but the really important question of how does it sound and feel for you, takes quite a bit longer to answer for yourself.

L6 has built in enough flexibility on many levels that many of us have been able to find our own sweet spots, no doubt all different in how they're built and how they sound and feel. The tradeoff for that is that you have to find your own comfort zone. For me anyway, that took a while. I wasn't as impressed or having anywhere near as much fun at first as I am now, but now I'm a pretty happy camper. Not exactly sure why that is, don't think it's that I've figured out that I like a few particular amp models more than the others (though that may be true), since I can get something I like out of a bunch of different amps. It's something more subtle about getting connected to it. Or maybe we just get used to its particular sound, if it has one, which it sort of does, maybe.

Really, I think it's that the more you get comfortable working with it, the more you start hearing and addressing things on a more personal level.

Or maybe it's just that the Kool-Aid takes a while to kick in (:-)

Almost a day and absolutely no response with anything of consequence to

'I will throw this out to the lions to feed on: I have worked with both extensively, the Helix is back in it's box and on a shelf.'

So I'm calling b*lllollipop, something of an attempt to troll some folks who love their Helix's. Like, love, or adore Fractal or Kemper that's perfectly legit, but I would deny anyone who claims to have extensively used the Helix to present factual reasons why you would ever relegate it to being retired in a box on a shelf.

Just sayin'

• Downvote 1

Almost a day and absolutely no response with anything of consequence to

'I will throw this out to the lions to feed on: I have worked with both extensively, the Helix is back in it's box and on a shelf.'

So I'm calling b*lllollipop, something of an attempt to troll some folks who love their Helix's. Like, love, or adore Fractal or Kemper that's perfectly legit, but I would deny anyone who claims to have extensively used the Helix to present factual reasons why you would ever relegate it to being retired in a box on a shelf.

Just sayin'

You may never get that response... at least not from the guy that posted it.  LoL!!!   :P

As I've said a few times, I have both now (and owned Axe FX II XL+ and Kemper Rack), there is nothing about that AX8 at this point that makes

me scream put the Helix on the shelf.  I would actually have to lean the other way now. I could live with either one, but I just can't stay off the Helix.

I went through every amp model on the AX8 and played around with each one.  I've got the fabled Fremen presets ($40 USD) on the AX8.

While it's a badazz piece of equipment, it in NO WAY SMOKES THE HELIX... If Helix adds some more amp models, it will even more solidify the

value and ease of use with even more amazing tones.

I just don't hear what the Fractal fan boys tout is "superior tone" coming out of the box.  I've owned a CRAP TON of tube amps and digital boxes

over my 48 years on this earth.  As far as I'm concerned, Line 6 is definitely batting 0.997 with the Helix!

It responds to my picking, volume knob, etc...  If I had to choose one out of the two right now, I'd have to go Helix (hands down) every time as they

both stand now.  However,  don't take this as a fan boy contest for me and a hate fest on AX8... It's great, but it is in no way superior to the Helix for me.

The ease of use of the Helix just pushes it over the top, with excellent tones coaxed out of it for me!

As I said before, if they came out with a Kemper Floor Pedal model of the profiler, I'd be all over that, too.  I'm not a fan boy of anyone's products.

I like having them all in my greedy little hands (need a change of pace sometimes, don't want two of the same unit for a backup, etc...).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

take a pic and post it for us of your box of unused or box of never used or box of when I couldnt tell the diference box or 

what I really only have is a POD 2.0 box. 

And I'll tell you about my amazing intuition bag I pull out from time to time. The one where I could only ever be bothered tweaking one of those 225 amp models once and  I am still using it. Dont need to even look at the unit. LOL LOL 

• Upvote 1

I can see who's obviously the most happy about having a "Vs" thread...

Look, Ma... a pissing contestant...

I guess Ibanez playing guitarists are somewhat beneath you?

I've played them, but I've never owned one... I started with a Peavey T-60 in the late 70's.

I was grateful that Mom and Dad worked their butts off to feel like they could afford a gift of

a guitar to me as a child.

Then I got my own job as an electrical engineer... so I started playing stuff like Hamer Studio Custom,

Hamer Phantom Custom, McInturff Glory Custom, Various PRS models (not the best guitars I've owned),

Several other Hamer models like Artist, Mirage II... Fender Strats, G&L various models, Gibson Les Pauls,

Music Man Axis Super Sport Pro with P90's, etc, etc, etc...............

Now I've started to enjoy well made Korean models (for gigging, like PRS SE, Agile custom order LP copies, etc.)
loaded with my favorite electronics and usually with my favorite custom wound Zhangbucker pickups with the

"splat" tap option.  Wow, that's probably worse than Ibanez for "someone" in this thread... now I'm really some Line 6

fan boy or something (and so what if I were???  No worse than a Kemper or Fractal or Digitech, etc. fan boy).

If you got the gift, and you have one of these high dollar tone boxes from the big names, you can get good tones

from them.  Some prefer Kemper, some Fractal, some Line 6 and so on.  There are a few of us that have had all 3

and still own multiple brands, not to mention tube amps and pedals.

I'm glad YOU love the AX8... but you don't have to be a jerk and start verbally crapping on young (and old) people

in the forum just because they play "Brand I" guitars or gear to pat yourself on the back for being God's little gift at

great tone recognition above all others.

Oh well... I can see this thread headed to the "locked" status if it degrades much more.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Got a little catty here...  :mellow:

Never mind. Some level headed responses too so thanks for them.

For what its worth I decided to go AX-8 for now. I think it will suit my needs better for the time being mainly for the reasons I sighted at the start.

If Line 6 want to tidy up some of the less complete itinerary (especially lack of MIDI sync) and add some more quality high-gain models which I am well sure it is capable of supporting I will look again.

And that does not mean that I consider the Helix inferior -  its just the AX-8 is a better fit for me. At the moment. :)

I think someone's trying just a bit too hard. I guess subtlety is not a strong point for some people...

I always find it funny that some people get so wedded to a particular "product" that to say anything positive about something else is like cheating on their wife. You see it in the Les Paul forums, when the dreaded PRS is uttered. Must be some pretty insecure people out there if you can only be happy with your choices by rubbishing other people's.

Peace, live and let live, love what you got...

I thought long and hard on my choice between FX-8, Helix and AX-8.

I was always planning to run in 4cm mostly with the amp models on Helix or AX-8 as a bonus.

The lack of scene mode on Helix was a serious minus mark but the scribble strips, UI and routing were big plusses.

I believe the FX and models on the FX and AX are slightly superior, but the interface and UI was quite a big step down from Helix. 

In fact do you know what.. it was the scribble strips that were the clincher!

I am very happy with my Helix - but I am sure I would also be happy with either Fractal box -

(but I would have been longing for the scribble strips! :) )

Ah Ribulous, numerous paragraphs filled with condescension and by all accounts what sounds like remarkably embellished tales (at least I hope it is, because if the notion of a bunch of old timers playing a private party 'belly aching' at the mere mention of the Line 6 forum is kinda beyond sad)

But, still, odd alleged conversation where the band waxed lyrical about your Axe (convenient that) still not a single mention of what specifically about the Helix made it something you now apparently store next to your numerous shoe boxes. So I retain the calling b*llsh*t.

And yes, I apologize to what I consider to be a particularly great forum and community for further contributing to this pointlessness. I'll step out now.

• Downvote 1

@Ribulous, What specifically was it that made you allegedly take a $1500 unit and seemingly shelve it in favor of the other one?

Bias.

The simple fact of the matter is, everyone has a bias. That word has a synonym - preference.

That said, I don't believe that any one current modeler in the same price range as the Helix is measurably that much more sonically superior that it would render the Helix shelf worthy. No way, no how.

If you do ever attempt to get that law passed and reach out to a congressman or the likes please record the conversation, it'll be a classic.

'So Mr Igloo, or can I call you Digital, explain to me one more time, what is a 'Modeler', and is five the minimum or maximum 'posts', and more importantly roughly how many votes or contributions does this law get me'

:)

Absolutely hilarious!!! You kids sure are funny!!!

We played a private party last weekend and during one of our intermissions we were sitting there enjoying a wonderful double oaked bourbon and talking about gear. Specifically just how awesome my AX8 sounded, it was just ripping'. I created this killer preset for my 71 strat using the Carol-Ann Tucana amp model that I went into and tweaked the transformer parameters and a couple of other little secrets in there as well. I matched it to a 68 Marshall Basketweave cab with vintage Greenbacks (That comes with the AX8!). Oh man! Too Die For! I have the preset setup with scenes which allows you to have, in a nutshell, 5 presets in one preset! I never have to change anything, tap dance, tweak, look at some flashing holiday lights, nothing. Everything I need to do is right there in one preset. As a matter of fact, I basically don't even look at the unit at all! We set up, level everything, put in our order with the lovely waitress and let it rip.

So we're sitting there talking gear and I mention that I was reading the Line 6 forum and I told the boy's about some of the crazy, hilarious stuff that gets posted and they all start belly laughing! They're like: "Line 6 forum?!", Isn't that all kids playing' Ibanezes in their bedrooms?!"  And I said no, I defended you boy's. I said they're not all kids, there are some older folks on there playing' Ibanezes too. And then I start telling them the funny stuff like the guy that always pops in with the: "I don't need 245 amps! I can't get a decent sound out of 30 Line 6 gave me!!!" Or the guy that's always yelling: "If you can't get a decent sound out of this thing then you don't know blah, blah, blah!!!!" Or my favorite is the guy that's always: "This thing is the best, it's sounds just as good as that pro level Fractal stuff! I can't tell the difference!"

And we laughed and laughed, what a great night!

Oh I'm sorry, someone asked about a box or something. How rude of me not to respond RSVP to someone I don't know on the internet.

Well you see, I keep everything in a box that I am not using. Next to the Helix box, is a HD500X box, then there is a Pod 2.0 box. There is a box with a Sansui receiver circa 1977. All of my shoes are in their original boxes, I have a lot of shoes.  I have boxes in boxes. I have a lot of stuff...in boxes!

You know, thinking about he Pod 2.0. A club owner owed me for playing several nights in his place back in the 80's I think. I actually don't remember the era, but he gave me a Crate Vintage Club amp that came with 3 ten inch speakers in it. I said to the guy: "Is this a joke?" "I want the cash!" and he said "take this for now". Well, I connected the Pod 2.0 to the effects loop of that thing and I gotta say, it sounds damn good! I would say that the Pod 2.0 connected to that 50 watt Crate sounds preferable to me than the Helix. 

But seriously, you boy's are hilarious! I love this forum! Funny as ............

And the award for lollipop of the week goes to....

And the award for lollipop of the week goes to....

Show more respect for the lady parts <0>

There are some positive notes when you read between the lines.  I can admire his product passion and loyalty.  He certainly has found inspiration and pride in it.

That post did inspire me to pull out my old Ibanez Prestige SR3006 bass for a gig this weekend.  I forgot how much I loved that bass!  Guess these Line 6 Ibanez kids grew up ;)

Thanks for a great 20 years Line 6!

I apologize for my rant, but the blatant brand snobbery hit me wrong... I agree with DI in a matter of words, they're all in it together, and thusly we, the guitarists win in the long haul.

Still, i guess Satch is just a kid with an Ibanez... and about every piece of equipment he could ever want. LoL.

• Upvote 1

We played a private party last weekend and during one of our intermissions we were sitting there enjoying a wonderful double oaked bourbon and talking about gear. Specifically just how awesome my AX8 sounded, it was just ripping'. I created this killer preset for my 71 strat using the Carol-Ann Tucana amp model that I went into and tweaked the transformer parameters and a couple of other little secrets in there as well. I matched it to a 68 Marshall Basketweave cab with vintage Greenbacks (That comes with the AX8!). Oh man! Too Die For! I have the preset setup with scenes which allows you to have, in a nutshell, 5 presets in one preset! I never have to change anything, tap dance, tweak, look at some flashing holiday lights, nothing. Everything I need to do is right there in one preset. As a matter of fact, I basically don't even look at the unit at all! We set up, level everything, put in our order with the lovely waitress and let it rip.

So we're sitting there talking gear and I mention that I was reading the Line 6 forum and I told the boy's about some of the crazy, hilarious stuff that gets posted and they all start belly laughing! They're like: "Line 6 forum?!", Isn't that all kids playing' Ibanezes in their bedrooms?!"  And I said no, I defended you boy's. I said they're not all kids, there are some older folks on there playing' Ibanezes too. And then I start telling them the funny stuff like the guy that always pops in with the: "I don't need 245 amps! I can't get a decent sound out of 30 Line 6 gave me!!!" Or the guy that's always yelling: "If you can't get a decent sound out of this thing then you don't know blah, blah, blah!!!!" Or my favorite is the guy that's always: "This thing is the best, it's sounds just as good as that pro level Fractal stuff! I can't tell the difference!"

Oh I'm sorry, someone asked about a box or something. How rude of me not to respond RSVP to someone I don't know on the internet.

Well you see, I keep everything in a box that I am not using. Next to the Helix box, is a HD500X box, then there is a Pod 2.0 box. There is a box with a Sansui receiver circa 1977. All of my shoes are in their original boxes, I have a lot of shoes.  I have boxes in boxes. I have a lot of stuff...in boxes!

You know, thinking about he Pod 2.0. A club owner owed me for playing several nights in his place back in the 80's I think. I actually don't remember the era, but he gave me a Crate Vintage Club amp that came with 3 ten inch speakers in it. I said to the guy: "Is this a joke?" "I want the cash!" and he said "take this for now". Well, I connected the Pod 2.0 to the effects loop of that thing and I gotta say, it sounds damn good! I would say that the Pod 2.0 connected to that 50 watt Crate sounds preferable to me than the Helix. 

But seriously, you boy's are hilarious! I love this forum! Funny as ............

I am curious why this person even shows up here. His Helix is in a box. I guess just to show off his insulting prowess. Very impressive. :wacko:  Oh wait he loves this forum. It amuses him. How quaint. And in regard to the comments that made them all laugh and laugh. That's all it took? Someone expressing an opinion different than theirs? That's sad really.

And there is no bias at all. That's right folks. With the group he was laughing it up with, just being on the forums automatically makes you a kid "playing' Ibanezes in their bedrooms". Without hearing a note from any of you they could tell all that. That is amazing. What insight! I remember another arrogant pompous a*s*s who, after looking at my guitar stand, said he could tell how good a guitar player was by the kind of guitar stand they used. He was not joking. I told him I usually wait until they play something before I come to any conclusions. I put these boobs in the same category as him. Oh, let's not forget you all should of course thank him so much for defending the people here. How generous of him. Well if any of you want to find him, I'm sure he'll be on the playground, laughing and insulting any kid who dares to be different than him. Him and his double oaked bourbon drinking buddies. Or is it double soaked bourbon drinking buddies? Based on his post I'm guessing the latter. What a sad and pathetic group of holier than thou losers. Can't wait for his oh so clever response to this. You know he will. Bullies can't take this kind of thing just sitting down.

...play both which means buying both and selling one.

And ugh, I have to agree on this one.  I just wish I had the self control to sell the gear I didn't prefer every time I purchased two pieces for a test drive and comparison.

I considered the AX8 too but didn't go for the all-in shootout purchase this time.  But really I think would have had to go with the Axe II and floor controller for double the cost to get the I/O and control features I get with Helix.  Then with the Axe FX, I wouldn't have the all in one form factor.

Honestly, I haven't played a Fractal product.  But even if the sounds are slightly better, I wouldn't trade the form factor, UI, control, and features of Helix (and another $1500) for it.

Sounds like I may be missing out on the ultimate Fractal guitopia where rainbow-riding unicorns come out of the speakers and urinate double-oaked bourbon into the mouths of it's users though ;)

RIblues

I apologize. Thanks for taking the time to post the specific functional and feature flaws of the Helix that substantiate your notion that it wasn't even worth keeping out of a box and off a shelf. Very well made points, eloquent and articulate.

Actually, wait...

Nope, still calling b*llsh*t

• Upvote 2

Well, I'm not constipated... Know about the "colick", too...

I've owned all the major players, still own AX8 and Helix... I'm not a constipated fan boy of any brand. Not a loser that talks trash about other people's gear preferences, either.

Your presentation and arrogance is what sucks... Fractal doesn't suck, Line 6 doesn't suck, Ibanez etc... What sucks is an arrogant lollipop with feet. Most here have probably figured out who that is by now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's a little thought exercise:

Read this post to a normal human - one who has no idea what a Helix or an AX8 is.  One who doesn't know anything about guitars.

But one who's literate and knows proper English, unlike OP with his multitude of gratuitous apostrophes, grammar errors and cliches.

Who's laughing now?

I can't remember when I've seen such a pathetic post on a public board.  Thoroughly nasty, unwarranted, largely untrue, poorly written and execrable.

I salute you, OP.  You're my kind of guy!  Still laughing...

• Downvote 1

P.S.  I really like this forum.  The people here (with notable exception) are helpful, generous and nurturing to the newcomers.

I've learned so much here.

I take exception to anyone who comes in here and fouls the water.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

@jroseberry , I wouldn't count on the AX8 being live/tweak friendly as far as the tweaking ease. While it's learnable, my AX8 is

nowhere near as easy to edit on as my Helix. The ONLY thing that is easier (just because you click the "amp" button first on the Helix) is the amp edit knobs always being available on the fly. However, you're bending down for both live. hehe. :)

The more I play with the AX8 since it came in, the more I feel like it will be the "backup" that sits in the studio the most, setup

for walk-in recording.

I'm finding the Helix to be my prefered weapon of choice, and less and less enthralled with all the extra amp models on the AX8.

By the time I tweak cabs/mics, etc. on the Helix, I can pretty much change the face on every amp in the Helix drastically.

It's about like having more amp models.

After having owned Axe FX II XL+ (sold), Kemper Rack (sold), Helix (still own), and now AX8 (still own), Helix is

one heck of a major player. When they get all the bugs and kinks worked out, plus add a few more amps for the amp fiends,

I don't see how anyone could ignore Helix.

I've owned a crap ton of tube amps and digital modelers from tons of brands... Helix convinces me more and more every day

why I just love the dang thing. It's why I spend more time playing than tweaking... I tweak and then play for an hour or more.

By then, I'm left saying to myself "wasn't I supposed to be building presets??? Where the heck did the time go??? That was fun..."

Why would AX not add a headphone jack? Or is there one I missed. If their is not one than it almost reaks of snobbery on the developer side. Or maybe it sounded so different in headsets that it was best not to include it. I suppose that argument could be use on the Helix as well. If it was not there it would solve complaints about how different it sounds live. Personally I need it for silent practice and studio stuff.

Having owned or own all 3 of the most popular and talked about (Kemper, AX8 & Helix) I can really give you some unbiased raw opinion.  Each has it's strength's.  Since the OP is only interested in AX vs Helix I will give you my $.02 on those two.  If you are a studio/audiophile and want to spend loads of time tweaking to find YOUR perfect tone and want loads of options available to you the AX8 may be for you. Keep in mind there is no recording interface and no headphone jack.  Fractal tried to make the AX8 a grab and go for live gigging.  If you want "ease" of use for live playing and "ease" of use for tone shaping, the Helix is far more intuitive than the AX8.  I think Fractal had an A+ idea for the AX8 (live gigging floor mount tool) but a C- for execution for what it was intended for.

Helix Pluses (vs AX8) - Ease of use, selection of interface options and tone shaping. Large Color Screen, Nicely lit and organized display, Headphone jack, recording interface options, expression pedal included.

Helix Minuses (vs AX8) - Much smaller Amp selection of models available, Amp, effect and Cab Models are slightly less impressive as the AX but difference is truly insignificant, Line 6 reputation not as strong as Fractal

AX8 Pluses (vs Helix) - Better effects and Amp Models (after lots of tweaking), Much larger selection of Amps, Better Sounding Standard Cabinets, Fractal's positive reputation for modeled tone and firmware updates. More stable and useable desktop interface. U.S designed and built.

AX8 Minuses (vs Helix) - Primitive and small looking screen (monochrome), complicated layout, not easily understood out of box, no expression pedal included, not allowed to run 2 simultaneous amps. Not easily recognized changes on pedal in live settings, amps and footswitch changes due to poor design and layout. No headphone jack.

Both units are solidly built.  Again, I think those guys/gals who are looking for the absolute tonal best option in a Modeler and are willing to spend loads of time tweaking and learning Fractal is for you.  If you really want something that is user friendly and has much more "fun" factor but not quite the tonal quality (95%+ as good) then Helix is for you.

Again, this is my opinion.  I never owned a Fractal AX rack system so my learning curve was much harder on AX8.  The AX8 gave me some awesome tone and effects. No complaints in tone department.  However, the tweaking options required to find my tone at times left me exhausted.  I also found the screen and footpedal hard to read and not very intuitive.  Where as the Helix has a large color screen and multi colored switching options to easily recognize your effects status and location from a standing position.

In balance, both of these and the Kemper are the best of this generation. Can't go wrong with either one of these.

• Upvote 5

Excellent post! I still have AX8 and Helix (AX8 may be going bye bye... And not a knock on it or Fractal at all). Also owned Kemper Rack and Axe FX II XL+ until after a few weeks if owning Helix. I no longer wanted rack plus pedal to haul around. All the big ones have great tone and pros and cons.

Yours was a great post!

In balance, both of these and the Kemper are the best of this generation. Can't go wrong with either one of these.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner for the entire post.  I just quoted the last bit because it is the bottom line.

• Upvote 1