Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Restoring the "Factory Original" Presets (HD500X)

DaveLeeNC

I recently acquired a new HD500X and (before I knew what I was doing) I permanently changed a couple of the original presets that come on the HD500X. I assume that there is some kind of "factory reset" capability here where I could get those back. But is there a 'bundle' available with all the presets that come installed on the HD500X?

Thanks.

dave

Don't think there's a bundle anywhere. Back up your patches and do the factory reset if you really want them back. Don't know what you'd do with them anyway, though. They're all f$!#/!g awful....unless you need a reminder of what NOT to sound like. I say good riddance.

• Downvote 2

You need to reinstall the firmware to restore the factory presets. There is no bundle available for download directly but I know some users make backups of the factory bundle after a firmware update. Perhaps one of those users will read this and post their bundle here for you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comments. 

On a related note, two additional questions regarding the 'Vintage Pak" (which I own). 

1) If I do a reset will I be able to simply reinstall the Pak (via Monkey I would assume)?

2) The amps in the Vintage Pak only show up in the Windows Editor when the HD is connected. Is there a way to get those 'into' the Editor?

Thanks.

dave

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comments. 

On a related note, two additional questions regarding the 'Vintage Pak" (which I own). 

1) If I do a reset will I be able to simply reinstall the Pak (via Monkey I would assume)?

2) The amps in the Vintage Pak only show up in the Windows Editor when the HD is connected. Is there a way to get those 'into' the Editor?

Thanks.

dave

1) Yes. I actually believe they will stay.

2) No, you have to have the HD connected

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

dave

The only way the pack will vacate the HD is if the HD is connected to your computer, the license manager is running, and you manually deauthorize the pack. So the answer is yes. The only ambiguity about this is if you deathorize the pack using your support account on Line 6's website, instead of the license manager. Then run the license manager and log in with the HD connected. It might automatically deauthorize the pack on the device itself. Not sure.

Running the editor or the Monkey program won't do anything to the packs. In fact, I remember doing a firmware flash, followed by a reset, and all the packs were still accessible.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the additional info. 

FWIW, if you are connected to your HD (with the Vintage Model Pak, for example), and turn off your HD device while in the editor any amp models that 'used to be in the editor' are now gone. Interesting. 

dave

ps. Duncann, you used the term 'vacate the HD' in your response. I'm curious as to why you used that terminology as I was not interested in getting something 'off' the HD, I was simply interested in the Editor treating the Vintage Pak amps/cabs in the same way it treats the default set. It never occurred to me that this process might involve removing something from my HD. 

Thanks for the additional info. 

FWIW, if you are connected to your HD (with the Vintage Model Pak, for example), and turn off your HD device while in the editor any amp models that 'used to be in the editor' are now gone. Interesting. 

dave

ps. Duncann, you used the term 'vacate the HD' in your response. I'm curious as to why you used that terminology as I was not interested in getting something 'off' the HD, I was simply interested in the Editor treating the Vintage Pak amps/cabs in the same way it treats the default set. It never occurred to me that this process might involve removing something from my HD. 

The graphic images are still there, but the text is gone. Haha. Not very nice of it. And if you try and load a preset in offline mode that has any of the model pack amps in them, it will replace those amps with something else. For example the 5150 is replaced with the Solo-100 overdrive. That's one of the things I never like about the model packs. There's no offline mode for them, as Brue58ski pointed out.

No reason really for the word choice. Sometimes a strange, and probably incorrect way, of phrasing things pops into my head and I act on it without much thought. I do the same thing with guitar phrasings. :)  Nothing's really removed from the device itself when getting rid of the model packs, they are always there. It's just the authorization to use them goes away. I mentioned it earlier because it actually takes effort on your part to remove that authorization, so a simple reset or firmware flash won't affect them, they'll still be there.

I want the originals because I'm selling the unit - replaced with a HD Pro X with FBV. When I downloaded the above bundle, all I got was blank presets..

Serious?

I just check it and 100% working for me!

Don't forget that's the original bundle, and it's normal that user 1,2 and 3 list are empty.

PB

I want the originals because I'm selling the unit - replaced with a HD Pro X with FBV. When I downloaded the above bundle, all I got was blank presets..

If you are selling it....

1. who cares what you have on it, because the first thing a new user is going to do is come here and ask what to do and we are going to tell him to reinstall the firmware to start from scratch. 

2. why wouldn't you just reinstall the firmware to get everything back to factory default, not just the patches. 

As to the 'blank' presets... 

Those are 'the original' presets. If you kept up to date with the firmware, there are different presets that come with. And, of course, there's that whole 'global eq' that gets added with the newer firmwares. 

That is odd as I downloaded them and got what surely looks like the original set of presets to me.

dave

It's a whole lot of effort for something that you're about to part with. Let the guy buying it worry about the presets...

If you are selling it....

1. who cares what you have on it, because the first thing a new user is going to do is come here and ask what to do and we are going to tell him to reinstall the firmware to start from scratch. 

2. why wouldn't you just reinstall the firmware to get everything back to factory default, not just the patches. 

As to the 'blank' presets... 

Those are 'the original' presets. If you kept up to date with the firmware, there are different presets that come with. And, of course, there's that whole 'global eq' that gets added with the newer firmwares. 

1) Obviously, some people DO care, which is how this thread got started in the first place. Buying a used unit with the latest firmware (I HAVE kept up with the updates), pedals calibrated and whatever version of the factory presets I can find will at least give the new owner a running start, which might be nice if he's a newb.

2) Because restoring a bundle is a lot easier.

It's a whole lot of effort for something that you're about to part with. Let the guy buying it worry about the presets...

Maybe I'm just a nice guy.

Punkyboy:

My bad! I was going by what the editor said after i sent the bundle to the POD. I should know better than that! The original presets installed fine. Thanks for saving that, for anybody who wants it for whatever reason.

If you were really a nice guy, you would reinstall the firmware (which would include the patches). Because the factory settings (not just factory patches) are always a good place to start. 

I don't know what changes you made. You could even have the GEQ at some awkward sounding tin can level. Variax as Input 1. Mic as Input 2. Pedalboard mode. 50hz hum for the Brits. LCD contrast... do you even remember what all you've changed? 

Pianoguy - 

That's right, you don't know, so why do you keep assuming that no one else knows?

Not only will I go the extra mile to make the next owner's life easier, I'll take the time (if he's a newb) to give him a brief overview with the benefit of my experiences.

I'm sure you'll have some smarmy comment about that last line, but dig it - I DON'T CARE!

Cruisinon2 - 

No offense intended, I should've added a smiley face :) !

• Upvote 1

Here's some of the stuff you don't know.

The fw was reinstalled 3 weeks ago when the POD seemed to be misbehaving (Win10 problem), before I decided to get the PRO X (eliminates the excess cabling required for 4 cm, provides a simple dry out solution).

I reinstalled my own presets, which is why I didn't have the originals. I haven't made ANY significant changes since then. I'd know.

So there, smartypants, lick that lolli! :)  ;)  :P

Dude, this is silly. I'll admit that I don't know everything. Will you?

All I was looking for was a link to the factory presets. How is anything beyond "I don't know" relevant? The answer to "who cares" is "I care" and you should've quit there.

I even tried to make peace, but you just won't let it go. Insulting to the last. I've seen posts by you where you actually offered good solutions. You've even helped me out a couple of times. I think you mean well. Do you have to be so consistently rude and insulting? Maybe you don't see yourself in that light, but I do, and I can't be the only one despite your 233 up votes.

Look, just think about it. You can have the last word if you like, I'm unfollowing this topic as it's already wasted too much of my time and energy - and besides, I got what I came for!

Peace!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I believe you can reset by unplugging power, hold down "L" arrow on the button Right of the screen AS you plug in the power. Mine instantly restored OE patches. :) I know this is a year later but I just picked up an HD500x..so..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/2/2017 at 3:34 PM, apx20 said:

I believe you can reset by unplugging power, hold down "L" arrow on the button Right of the screen AS you plug in the power. Mine instantly restored OE patches. :) I know this is a year later but I just picked up an HD500x..so..

Thanks, this was really valuable tip for me. Just got second hand hd500x, and it was full of presets which were something else than originals.

1 hour ago, mara17 said:

Thanks, this was really valuable tip for me. Just got second hand hd500x, and it was full of presets which were something else than originals.

Do you remember that scene in Harry Potter when Fred and George were going to enter the Tri-Wizard Tournament? 

Hermoine said.... 

"It's not going to work"

oh, and just as a point of reference: 

There's 24 comments that come before that one that tell you how to do it. Why choose that one. 

You quoted someone that has one post on the entirety of the L6 board.

He made one post to a thread a year and a half after it had been last used. And then he disappeared. Two years and counting, never heard from again. 

Of course, having numerous posts doesn't make someone a genius. But when your choice is 2 dozen posts all telling you one of two things.... why pick the 3rd option

On 10/20/2019 at 1:23 PM, pianoguyy said:

oh, and just as a point of reference: 

There's 24 comments that come before that one that tell you how to do it. Why choose that one. 

You quoted someone that has one post on the entirety of the L6 board.

He made one post to a thread a year and a half after it had been last used. And then he disappeared. Two years and counting, never heard from again. 

Of course, having numerous posts doesn't make someone a genius. But when your choice is 2 dozen posts all telling you one of two things.... why pick the 3rd option

Those 24 comments before did not contain that tip.

• 9 months later...

1) Unplug the unit.

2) Hold down the directional button to the Left towards the screen.

(the button just to the right of the screen in between where it says "Enter" above, and "Move" below.)

3) Plug the unit back in, continuing to hold the button down left.

**This does a hard reset, and you will get all the original factory presets back. You will have to "deauthorize" the unit in "License Manager", then "re-authorize" to get back software "bundles." Obviously you're going to lose any patches you've created. Save them if you need to before hand.

46 minutes ago, crossthestyx said:

1) Unplug the unit.

2) Hold down the directional button to the Left towards the screen.

(the button just to the right of the screen in between where it says "Enter" above, and "Move" below.)

3) Plug the unit back in, continuing to hold the button down left.

**This does a hard reset, and you will get all the original factory presets back. You will have to "deauthorize" the unit in "License Manager", then "re-authorize" to get back software "bundles." Obviously you're going to lose any patches you've created. Save them if you need to before hand.

nope. 

wrong on so many levels. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/26/2016 at 2:01 AM, Punkyboy said:

Hello

I saved my bundle you can download it :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxrq9f2oeox8kxt/POD%20HD500X%20Bundle%202015-Oct-15.5xb?dl=0

Greetings

Any small chance you still have the bundle saved and can re-upload it? Accidentally overwrote an entire preset setlist and can't get it back by updating firmware because Line 6 Monkey doesn't work with Mac OS Monterey.