Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

NEW FW for SUMMER NAMM ??

pilottes

Let me save you the suspense...a grand total of NOTHING will be divulged until there's a press release, which may or may not occur before the doors open on Day 1. Same as always...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled wild speculation, wishful thinking, and the inevitable bemoaning of whatever announcement(s) are actually forthcoming. ;)

Bummer! It's my first Line 6 product. I don't know about the customs but I'm more excited than a kid on Xmas Eve. 

I love the Helix. A decent FW update and I would remain forever in a silent bliss.

It's not even a year since they released it. I promise you, you will be getting some blissful FW updates. I'd even bet you'll get more than one that will have something cool in it you'll like before the end of the year.

We're working on some stuff. If the next rev's fully cooked by Summer NAMM (June 23rd), bonus, but we wouldn't delay or push release to sync it up. FW 1.06 just so happened to line up with Winter NAMM, and we didn't quite make it (released the following Tuesday, IIRC).

• Upvote 2

We're working on some stuff. If the next rev's fully cooked by Summer NAMM (June 23rd), bonus, but we wouldn't delay or push release to sync it up. FW 1.06 just so happened to line up with Winter NAMM, and we didn't quite make it (released the following Tuesday, IIRC).

Thanks D_I your input is apprieciated. 

Bummer! It's my first Line 6 product. I don't know about the customs but I'm more excited than a kid on Xmas Eve. 

I love the Helix. A decent FW update and I would remain forever in a silent bliss.

What exactly are you hoping for?

Hmmm, for me I would more be inclined to ask Santa D Igloo for some more and different effect blocks and may some minor improvements on a few echoes and reverbs ... I say minor because from what I have been able to do with the current effect blocks they sound pretty darn good.  And most pretty darn great.  With the number of amps already and what I have been able to do using the all the ideas for chains in this forum ... yea a few more amps may be good but more effects better (hopefully that didn't come across like Cookie Monster) :blink:

Dennis

PS:  I want to thank the Line 6 staff for the full cut and paste "whole presets" in the editor.  Major nice! :ph34r: :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

There are so many cool and useful improvements that can be made to how we use the HELIX overall - regardless of amp model - that are in the IdeaScale suggestions database which would improve things for every user - so i'd rather they not just spend their resources on endless exotic amp models.  

Except maybe a pure acoustic guitar amp, and an amp for jazz arch top guitar (Polytone?) since those are in a unique category.

So i'd rather see them work on and bring out new FW for things that improve workflow and enhance usefulness ( MIDI controller effect block ) - something that expands on the ways in which this box can be used - and usability in a live gig situation (scenes) as well as make the process of patch creation easier (eg. when wanting to borrow bits from several existing patches into a new patch).  Also something that makes it easier to find the right patch once one has hundreds of them. 

Personally - all those "ooh if only they supported [place exotic boutique amp name here] i'd be in seventh heaven" suggestions can wait. 

How many models do we really need anyway ?  

Arguably a better solution for these amp model requests would be for L6 to bring out a graphic interface based "amp designer-editor" to allow users to come up with their own circuits would allow 3rd parties and enthusiasts to do this instead of L6.

Or for user-created effects blocks, something like Native Instruments does with their Reaktor DAW plugin ( which allows you to design a DSP circuit/algorithm graphically and then literally spits out DSP code in C or what is known as "p-code"  and compiles it into high performance CPU efficient native DSP code ) -   if they have access to the circuits - thus saving L6 the effort of all this. 

Just sayin'

OTOH  I *do* see the argument for including a bigger range of - and more high quality  -  effects in there. After all - this beast is ideally something that could replace all one's beloved pedals and the wiring mess and unreliability that goes with them. 

• Upvote 1

And arguably a better solution for this would be to bring out a graphic interface based  "amp designer-editor" to allow users to come up with their own circuits

Now this would be major FUN for me!!!!  :D

• Upvote 1

Some folks won't be satisfied until the total number is "all of them", up to and including the crappiest amps in history. Gimme it ALL, so I can tweak forever!... ;)

Like maybe that Silvertone amp that was built into a guitar case. That would be so......weird.

I *do* see the argument for including a bigger range of - and more high quality  -  effects in there. After all - this beast is ideally something that could replace all one's beloved pedals and the wiring mess and unreliability that goes with them. 

We certainly want to create a bigger range of high quality amps and effects for Helix, but our goal has always been for Helix to be the centerpiece of a much larger touring or studio rig. We don't want you to sell your other gear.

"If only Line 6 would do/add [X], I could sell [Y]." NOPE

"If only Line 6 could make it easier to incorporate [X], creating great-sounding, unique tones could be so much faster and more fun." YES!

• Upvote 2

We certainly want to create a bigger range of high quality amps and effects for Helix, but our goal has always been for Helix to be the centerpiece of a much larger touring or studio rig. We don't want you to sell your other gear.

"If only Line 6 could make it easier to incorporate [X], creating great-sounding, unique tones could be so much faster and more fun." YES!

Well in my case - i literally don't have **any** other guitar gear apart from my JTV and my HELIX and my PA.....    so .......   ain't I lucky !   :)

But I don't plan to buy any outboards either.   I'm a "keep it minimal" and "Total Recall" kind of guy - so a HELIX and Ableton  suits me perfectly :)

But while I have your kind ear -  two very simple changes to the HELIX FW that would make a LOT of difference methinks is this:

A )   add  *CUT block*  option in the HELIX  so we can easily move any helix block from Path A to Path B.  This need crops up often when I have run out of space or DSP in path A and want to stick move one or more blocks to path B. 

B )   a **CLEAR PRESET** option.     Its a drag to have to copy and paste an empty block  just when we don't want an existing preset in a current slot. 

Two obvious and simple to implement changes - that i'm sure are already in IdeaScale   :)

Often its the most simple feature changes that don't actually require much developer effort that are the most appreciated and useful by/for the end-user.  I say this as a developer ( C++/JUCE ) myself :)

A) Copy Block, Clear Block, Paste Block isn't that hard.

B) What's different from Clear All Blocks about this? Or you can copy one of the New Presets and paste it in,

If you're talking about added convenience, sure, but game changing? Don't think so. Or I'm missing something, which happens all the time.

OK, Santa, how about a few more effects.  My M13 is still available if I need it but I am also playing venues that have a small footprint as well as some with large footprints.  I hope I've been a good boy and maybe there will be a few (say 5 or 6) more effects coming?  At the end of the day the auto-vol and the BOSS SG-1 http://line6.ideasca...-1/818934-23508  ?

In reality this Helix is all I want to use due to how great it sounds, how versatile it is, and how quickly it can be brought up and brought down.

But that is just me,

Dennis

PS: OK, no more whining :o

Although the Helix is an incredible centerpiece for a much larger studio rig, and will be even more so if the MIDI functionality is enhanced, I think there are a substantial number of users like myself out here who want exactly the opposite when it comes to our touring/live rig. The last thing I want is a larger live rig. If I wanted that I would go back to my embarrassingly overwrought analog pedal board and tube amp. I believe for many of us the motivating factor is to trim down our rig to the most compact form factor possible, end the pedalboard tap dance, dump the extra weight and baggage, reduce complexity, and have a plug and play solution that sounds great. We don't want to have to worry about cables, power supplies, multiple points of failure, ground loops, hums, clicks, and mysterious hard to diagnose sources of noise and things that go bump in the night, back breaking furniture moving, etc..

To me the most important virtue of the Helix is that it totally negates the need for all that extra "stuff".  I think the I/O options, e.g. send/return loops, external amp control, etc., on the Helix are great to have and certainly offer a tremendous amount of potential and flexibility and I am delighted they are there when I need them for maximum flexibility in the studio, and for those players who require additional devices live, but I use the Helix primarily for gigging as an amp and pedalboard in a box direct to the PA. The less I have to attach to it at a gig the better. So... I am really happy that your comment started with "We certainly want to create a bigger range of high quality amps and effects for Helix".

• Upvote 3