Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I have wasted almost 3 years trying to get my UX2 to work.

Please help me diagnose the problem I'm having so I can finally, finally get recording. I have owned this product for close to 3 years and it still isn't doing anything for me.

I bought the UX2 in the hopes that I could begin some basic, rudimentary, at-home recording. I plugged it in and installed it and it worked great -- right up until I started recording.

Every single recording that I create with my UX2 sounds like garbage. I have not had the time or money to try a new box or new software after sinking hours and hours into this one, tweaking this and that in hopes that I might find the problem.

When I play live, it sounds great on my monitor. When I record it, the recording comes out muddy, noisy, and greatly reduced in quality. I can't use any of this!

Here are example recordings. When I play live, these tones sound great -- clear, rich, low-end performance-quality. Listen to them and tell me something isn't wrong with this product.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/238lqudzkb96kym/33.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j464nw579nmeajc/22.wav?dl=0

Steps I have taken to fix the problem:

1. Changing DAWs. 

- I have used Audacity, Reason, Audition, Cakewalk, and Ableton. All of them have the exact same issue, so I have to conclude that it is either the box or the software.

2. Changing settings

- I have checked the bitrate (16bits 44100)

- I have recorded dry and then added Pod Farm effects as a VST.

- I have checked volume and signal levels.

- I have tried with and without distortion -- the loss of quality is the same with both.

- I have changed windows settings to see if that's the issue.

- I have run my programs by themselves with all other programs shut off in case it was a processor issue (my computer is fairly powerful, 6Gb ram, dual core 2.6Ghz)

3. Uninstall and reinstall

- No change

4. Used the low-gain input

- still a loss of quality.

Sorry you are having problems - why have you waited so long to ask questions?    I can't listen to your files (at work right now), but can you tell us what your signal chain is - what are you plugging into the UX2?  

You say that you record 'dry', so I'm guessing you pug your guitar directly into the UX2?  How does it sound dry, with no PodFarm on it?  If the sound quality is bad at that point, then the problem can be isolated to something in the signal chain.

Links don't work for me, so it's hard to guess without hearing the clips. What I do know is, most if not all of my live patches are useless for direct recording. Getting gtrs to sit well in a mix, vs. on stage are very different sets of circumstances. A tone that's dialed in for use at stage volume is likely to sound different through studio monitors or headphones, unless you're really cranking it...and even then you can still have issues. I usually find that a solid rhythm tone patch at stage volume is usually lacking in low-mids if I try and use it in a mix with drums and bass. There's definitely an art to it...learning when and where to use EQ, compression, etc is tricky.

can you tell us what your signal chain is - what are you plugging into the UX2?  

guitar > UX2 > computer.

Make sure you are using the Line 6 ASIO driver. In particular avoid using ASIO4ALL.

I am using the line6 ASIO driver.

Links don't work for me, so it's hard to guess without hearing the clips. What I do know is, most if not all of my live patches are useless for direct recording. Getting gtrs to sit well in a mix, vs. on stage are very different sets of circumstances. A tone that's dialed in for use at stage volume is likely to sound different through studio monitors or headphones, unless you're really cranking it...and even then you can still have issues. I usually find that a solid rhythm tone patch at stage volume is usually lacking in low-mids if I try and use it in a mix with drums and bass. There's definitely an art to it...learning when and where to use EQ, compression, etc is tricky.

I don't understand a single word of that. What's a live patch?

By 'live patch' he means a preset designed to be played in a live environment, like a stage/gig, as opposed to a preset designed for recording direct to a computer/DAW.

What's the difference? how do I choose one or the other with my software?

You don't choose in Pod Farm - they're not tagged in that way. I think you should ignore the difference. The fact that what you're doing now doesn't sound good to you is all that matters.

I would open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support on this.

When I play live, it sounds great on my monitor.

You said everything sounds fine when you

play live...I assumed that meant you were using the UX2 as part of gigging rig. I've seen guys do that...run everything off a laptop straight into the PA. A tone that sounds good at 110 dB with a band won't necessarily work for recording. That's all I meant. Evidently that's not what you're doing, I guess.

If the problem is that your tone sounds radically different when you play unaccompanied, vs. the same tone placed in a mix with drums, bass, keys, vocals,etc...then the issue is relatively straightforward, because it happens to everybody. Each track you record is competing with everything else in the stereo field. Overlapping frequencies make weird stuff happen sometimes, phase issues, mixes that sound "muddy", etc. Guitar tones that sound great on their own, will often get "lost in the mix" as you add other instruments. Usually it's a matter of EQing your way out...

If the problem is that your tone sounds radically different when you play unaccompanied, vs. the same tone placed in a mix with drums, bass, keys, vocals,etc...

I am not mixing my recording with anything. It sounds good when played live over the monitors and it sounds bad when recorded. I'm not sure how to be more clear on this. The guitar makes a sound that I can hear on my monitors. That's a good sound that I like and what to record. Then I press "record" in my DAW and I listen to what I recorded and it sounds bad.

I am not mixing my recording with anything. It sounds good when played live over the monitors and it sounds bad when recorded. I'm not sure how to be more clear on this. The guitar makes a sound that I can hear on my monitors. That's a good sound that I like and what to record. Then I press "record" in my DAW and I listen to what I recorded and it sounds bad.

That's how you make it clearer. By saying exactly what you're doing. As I said, I was unable to hear the clips...links didn't work, so I could only go by your description. Recording usually involves more than just one raw, unaccompanied guitar, so you'll have to forgive the assumption. We were trying to help...

This is disappointing. I don't know why a dropbox link wouldn't work for you. I'll see what I can do.

Are the links broken for everyone?

I may not be able to help you with your problem but I was able to download your tracks without a drop box account. I have to listen to them in a better environment tomorrow.

To me you problem appears that you may be putting the recorded sound back through PodFarm, so you're getting the (good) recorded tone put through the FX/amp sim again.

If you record the guitar dry, and play it back with PodFarm (as VST) disabled does it sound dry still?

If you record the guitar dry, and play it back with PodFarm (as VST) disabled does it sound dry still?

I don't understand your question.

If I record dry, there is a degradation in quality. It goes from clean and clear to muffled and buzzy. If I then add a VST of pod farm to that dry-recorded track, the degradation just carries over to the added effect.

I don't understand your question.

If I record dry, there is a degradation in quality. It goes from clean and clear to muffled and buzzy. If I then add a VST of pod farm to that dry-recorded track, the degradation just carries over to the added effect.

I could not listen to your dropbox files, either - links broken.

OK, we're slowly getting somewhere.  Have you tried a different USB cable from the UX2 to the computer?  Have you tried a different USB port on your computer?

Have you tried a different USB cable from the UX2 to the computer?  Have you tried a different USB port on your computer?

This is not how digital connections work. A digital signal either works 100% or does not work at all. There is no loss of quality through the cable or inputs like there is with analog.

So you have not tried ..... :rolleyes:   All I can tell you is that others have had problems with bad cables or input circuits ...

Sorry you are having problems - 3 years in, your warranty on the UX2 has expired.  This is really something you should have tried to sort out from day 1. 

Its been a while since I fired up the ole UX but generally I don't remember anything more tricky than plugging it in, firing up PF and choosing the UX as the interface in the DAW (Reaper BTW). Change tones? Yep in PF. Never bothered with going dry and trying to reamp. I would go there first if you have never got it to work decently at all.

and you should try other ports and a different cable. You might as well if only to eliminate variables. There are some fancy lads here who can point you in the right direction if you help them help you. :)

Am I being stupid by assuming that the recording should sound exactly like the pre-recorded monitors? Is this device SUPPOSED to work by recording a lower-quality sound? Maybe my problem isn't technical, but I'm just expecting a better result than is realistic?

I WAS GIVEN A TP UX2 AS A GIFT TWO YEARS BACK.I STILL HAVNT BEEN ABLE TO AUTHORIZE OR REGISTER THE TP UX2......RENDERING IT INOPERABLE.

ITS MEANT TO BE A PLUG N PLAY DEVICE..................IVE PLUGGED BUT HAVNT PLAYED!!!!

WASTE OF MY TIME..............LINE 6 TOO MANY HOOPS TO JUMP THROUGH JUST TO PLAY AND RECORD MUSIC....SHOULD IT REALY BE THAT HARD?

THIS EXPERIENCE HAD MADE MY MIND UP........NO MORE LINE SIX!!!!!!

IVE SOLD MY POD,MY AMP AND NOW MY UX2.

GONNA PURCHASE A MORE USER FRIENDLY INTERFACE FROM YOUR COMPETITOR.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

No, you should be able to record exactly what you want.  If its a dry signal, nothing added to the sound via PodFarm, that's what should be recorded.  I assume you have tried track monitoring in your DAW and hear the bad sound (as compared to the direct monitoring). 

Have you tried playing a music file (not something you recorded) out through the UX2 and monitor speakers?  Insert a media file into your DAW an dsee how that sounds.

No, you should be able to record exactly what you want.  If its a dry signal, nothing added to the sound via PodFarm, that's what should be recorded.  I assume you have tried track monitoring in your DAW and hear the bad sound (as compared to the direct monitoring). 

Have you tried playing a music file (not something you recorded) out through the UX2 and monitor speakers?  Insert a media file into your DAW an dsee how that sounds.

I have done this; media files played through the UX2 sound perfect. It is only the quality of recording an instrument theough the UX2 that has degradation.

And yes,I have tried track monitoring, and yes, I can hear the lower quality while monitoring. It's clear and perfect when played throgh POD Farm, but when the signal is routed through any DAW for recording, it degrades.

So to reiterate:

Alice in chains song off the album > DAW > UX2 > speakers > GOOD QUALITY

Guitar > UX2 > POD Farm (dry or with effects) > UX2 > speakers > GOOD QUALITY

Guitar > UX2 > POD Farm (dry or with effects) > input to DAW > live monitoring > BAD QUALITY

Guitar > UX2 > POD Farm (dry or with effects) > input to DAW > recorded and played back > BAD QUALITY

Hey ffbrgst (man I still don't know if I type that right :) ),

I know its a lot of a/d a/d but would running the 1/4" out from the UX to another audio interface (focurite, MAdudio Fast track etc..) then to the DAW be the way to check that?

I had the same problem years ago and here is what I did and you can try it too:

1.) switch the sample rate from 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 (or even 24/48)

2.) make sure the input of your dry guitar is not clipping into pod farm.

Check the input level in pod farm (if you can, I don't use pod farm.). If it's in the red it's too high and needs to be turned down. But if the input is too low you have to turn it up or else you won't get a good enough signal to drive the amp sim.

I use the POD HD as my interface or IK Stealth Pedal to record dry guitars and I have to boost the guitar signal on some guitars by 12db just to get the input in the amp to a healthy level.

Once you get your input level good in the amp sim then check the tracks output level in the DAW and make sure it sits between -12 & -18db. if it doesn't then adjust the main output level in the amp sim to get the level right.

Hope that helps.

1.) switch the sample rate from 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 (or even 24/48)

My options here are 16/44 or 16/48. It says that 16/48 is not supported by the device. Is there somewhere else that I should be changing this option? Does this mean that my computer is not good enough to use this box? Please see the attached video for my options.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewpke7fh4uegz1m/wre.mp4?dl=0

2.) make sure the input of your dry guitar is not clipping into pod farm.

I don't know what this means at all. "clipping in?" What does that mean and how do I tell if it's happening?

Check the input level in pod farm (if you can, I don't use pod farm.). If it's in the red it's too high and needs to be turned down. But if the input is too low you have to turn it up or else you won't get a good enough signal to drive the amp sim.

It's not the input level. I have played with input and output in pod farm and on my DAWs enough to be able to get a good level every time.

it looks like you are running the sample buffer pretty high I believe it said 4096) I run mine at 256 or less when tracking and but it up to 1024 when mixing. Lowering the buffer size should help. Move the slider (where it says usb audio streaming, below sample rate converter) as low as you can without "clicks" or "pops" or dropouts. If none of that works, you may need a new interface, not a new computer. Because the audio is being that you hear is coming from the Line 6 drivers, not your computer. You can get good interfaces for less than the hundred bucks now-a-days.

Lowering the buffer size should help.

I have tried it all the way down, all the way up, and everywhere in between. Same resutls.

You can get good interfaces for less than the hundred bucks now-a-days.

Can you direct me to one? I would really, really hate to spend another $200 on something that works as poorly as this.

It sounds like the UX2 isn't good. Try this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Focusrite

Plus it may be the POD Farm software just sounds like that. I tried POD Farm years ago and didn't like it. I use Amplitube, BIAS FX & TH3 for my guitar. I know those amp sims upsample which helps getting a good clear sound. Plus I use Sonar Platinum as my DAW and in Sonar you have the option to upsample as well. For what it's worth, I find Line 6 products to be very "temperamental". Sometimes they work great and sometimes (for no known reason) they don't. I got on here yesterday to find an answer to my JTV-59 problem (1/4 plug just stopped working) and stumbled on your post.

It's not PodFarm that is the problem.  I have used it for years - and 'faceshapes' problem happens even when he doesn't use it.

You can't run two audio interfaces at one time (unless you are using a Mac, and then can use multiple USB interfaces with some work).

Low price interfaces:

Roland Duo-Capture

Focusrite Scarlett Solo (new - no reviews yet) and Scarlett 2i2

Steinburg UR12 and UR22

Tascam US 2X2

It's not PodFarm that is the problem.  I have used it for years - and 'faceshapes' problem happens even when he doesn't use it.

I am never not using POD Farm. It is the only amp simulator that I have and I do not know how to get a signal through the UX2 without opening POD Farm.

I use Amplitube, BIAS FX & TH3 for my guitar. I know those amp sims upsample which helps getting a good clear sound. 

I tried amplitube and the sound I got through it was extremely distorted and alien-sounding. not recognizeable as guitar at all. With my UX2 and pod farm, the sound is degraded a bit so that it's unusable, but with amplitube and the ux2, it was like staticy alien sounds from space.

Ok, now I'm confused - before you indicated you have tried various DAWs - do you perhaps have PodFarm running as an input device to the DAW plus it is running as a plug-in in the DAW? 

You should be able to run from the UX2 input device directly into your DAW with no PodFarm running.  You said you were recording the sound 'dry' - that means with PodFarm disabled.

do you perhaps have PodFarm running as an input device to the DAW plus it is running as a plug-in in the DAW? 

No. I have never done this. I have done it three different ways.

1. Pod Farm open, running independently of the DAW. Recording input set to "dry" so that even though i HEAR the processed signal, what gets recorded is the dry signal. After this, then I apply the VST. This results in a bad, muffled sound.

2. pod farm open, input set to processed signal. What I hear is what gets recorded, so there is no need to use a VST. This results in the same exact degradation of the sound. Muffled, buzzy, low quality.

3. as you said, from the UX2 to the DAW with pod farm completely off. This way, I cannot hear what I am playing! It's useless to me ebcause if I want to record with a heavy metal tone but I just hear a clean tone, I can't play! Not only that, but this also does not solve the sound degradation issue.

I need pod farm open so that I can hear my own playing. It is possible to simply set it to input a dry signal so that effects can be added after recording. this does NOT solve the issue.

To hear what you are recording without using PodFarm, in your DAW you set track monitoring to 'on'.  If you do this - then what you hear is what is being recorded (the other ways you are doing this does not let you monitor what is actually being recorded).  This should be the clean signal.  If is not clean, if it is 'degraded' as you call it, then the problem lies in the A-D conversion of the UX2 - assuming you have since tried different USB cable and USB port - TRY THEM - it won't cost you anything but a few minutes to do so!