Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv 2.0 - Recrafting Pod Hd Presets

Here is a post from another thread made by Sean Halley of Line 6 (you can see him in several JTV/POD HD videos demonstrating tones):

Quick question to you folks - on the Strat and other models that some of you feel have been "compromised" versus the previous versions, how are you listening to them?

Are you pulling up patches that you had used previously with the old models and listening to the result, or are you just plugging into an amp of some type and having a play?

The responses are expectedly all over the map - I understand that - but some of them have me wondering how we're all listening to these new guitars. They are all different enough that you will absolutely have to completely recraft your sounds. The hope is that you'll be happier at the end.

Let me know.

S..

I think this is very important in terms of understanding the spectrum of 'love it' and 'hate it' comments regarding JTV firmware V2.0. I have started this new thread (credit/apologies to Sean, as he sees fit :P ) to focus a discussion of this topic. What are your thoughts and experiences regarding the interaction of JTV 2.0 with existing POD HD presets? Does this affect your perception of the JTV 2.0 firmware? If so, what do you think of the new firmware when using it to set up new POD HD presets?

Hi silver, I agree with the questioning of sean, but I have a doubt, what would be required for new patches that were suited to the new sounds? I know also that this is personal, but it is necessary further adjustments in the pod, then what would basically bass, treble, gain? What has really changed in jtv so we can adjust the patches according the new firmware?

I don't think there's any sort of conversion 'formula' for adjusting existing presets to the new guitar models, and if there were it would be different for each model. I expect some experimenting is required.

To me it might be similar (but to a lesser degree) to the release of the POD HD series several years ago, when existing POD X3 owners wanted to convert their existing X3 presets to the HD. It simply wasn't practical to provide a conversion utility because the modeling was completely different. The HD amp modeling was a complete overhaul, and users who simply replicated the X3 presets (all amp and FX selections and parameters) found the result to be nothing at all like the original X3 preset. Some were disappointed initially. But those who persevered and started from a blank slate with the POD HD ended up with far superior tones.

Seems to me the situation may be similar here. The JTV 2.0 firmware is very different, and may need to be treated in a similar fashion to the POD X3/HD transition. The new firmware may not sound the same with existing presets. That may initially disappoint some, and the time and effort involved to recraft presets for JTV v2.0 may be daunting enough that many will choose to stay (at least for now) with v1.9. But perhaps those who aren't held back by existing presets, or who persevere with recrafting presets, will end up with superior tones.

That's what this thread is intended to explore.

EVERYTHING... these models are completely new and not based on the older models at all...

also the tech behind it is new... "HD"

there's no simple answer that will tell you where to tweak what to get back...

if you want to go back flash down to 1.9 and keep rocking... otherwise twist some knobs until it sounds good to you and suits your purposes.

What has really changed in jtv so we can adjust the patches according the new firmware?

Hi,

did my testings at the rehearsal room at gig volume level with existing presets. As far as I can see now this firmware is so huge in tonal difference that IF I would take the FW 2.0 this will lead me into a longer tweaking time to all of my presets with the Dream rig. As I have approx. 100 POD HD presets to maintain and I am gigging, I am just hesitating at the moment to jump into that time consuming work, which at the end may turn out that it was worth to go for or not.

I listen quite carefully to the Videos played on a clean amp: several models are a big improvement. YEP. But if I would play let say "Another Brick in the wall" with the firmware 2.0 with my current presets for that song, I would be lost:

- the twangy Rhythm guitar is not available to me

- the Leadpart will not break up to distortion in some phrases with my current amp and effect settings

- some strings sound as if they have a different volume level

I guess I will move to FW 2.0 in the future, but this takes considerable time I have to invest, because I cannot start just from scratch. For other who just have started or which do not giging, this may look quite different.

P.S. Good to know that the L6 Gurus are close to these forums. I appreciate that pretty much.

...the big difference with 2.0  that I seem to notice, that would require quite some tweaking if you got a setup tuned with 1.9 or older, is the more "true output levels" of the models. The pre-HD models were different in sound characteristic but more uniform regarding levels.

So retuning the setup for 2.0 JTVs - POD or not - have to consider these levels - just like when plugging in different physical guitars (ie hot buckers vs "naturally weak" single coils).

I just downloaded and did a quick run through of the models I use the most. Overall I'd say they did a great job with 2.0 Much richer and fuller tone, but adjustments will obviously be needed.

One thing I noticed the most was the reduction of high end overtones which is geat. I noticed it the most when playing open  slide and with the acoustic models.

It's nice the overtones are reduced and seems a lot les muting with pen slide is necesssary but it seems the volume of the high E seems less than even the B or the mid strings causing me to pick or pluck the high E harder to compensate. I have not changed the HD500 EQ from prior settings but turned the variax tone all the way up and still seems a little flat on the high E

Is it just me or has anyone noticed this?