Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Application vs. Helix Editor

WebDevDen

Hi everyone.

I just got my Helix, installed the latest USB driver (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit), installed the Helix Editor software & Line6 Updater application (v.1.09) and updated my firmware to the latest v.1.12.0.

I haven't begun digging into the Helix yet, but I'm a little confused about this "Helix Application" (v.1.04) on the website. I downloaded it, but have not installed it yet.

1. Do I need to install it?
  2. Is it an older version of the Helix Editor?
  3. What is its purpose?

The website has no information about its function and I'd rather not install unnecessary software on my computer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance here.

Can't wait to start getting my hands and feet dirty with my new Helix!

I just went through L6 customer service to figure this out.  The Helix application v1.09 is just the early release of the librarian portion of the Helix Editor.  If you successfully downloaded and installed the 1.12 firmware and the Helix Editor you have everything you need at this point.

This was a weird process naming thing to me as well at first. But once you get your head around it it.... 2 pieces of major software involved. The firmware and the application software. The application software includes the editor installation software. The firmware (update) is Helix's own operation system. There, I think I have this right, and hope it helps.

If it helps to understand this, the only thing actually required to have a functioning Helix is the firmware, and you're correct in saying the firmware is Helix's own operating system and has nothing at all to do with any external computers.

The application software known as the Helix editor is an optional piece of software simply used to manage the Helix from a computer interface and save/backup/restore presets to and from the computer and the Helix.  The other piece of application software that's necessary in order to update the firmware is the Line 6 Updater.  It's sole purpose in life is to update the Firmware on the Helix unit.  There is one other piece of software that is the device driver which is used by both the Helix Editor and the Line6 Updater to communicate between an external computer and the Helix.

The Helix device driver is also used to allow the Helix to operate as an audio interface to a computer.

And, heads up as you are just starting to use the thing, not sure if it's the same on Windows but most definitely on Mac (happened about 4 times to me in the few weeks I've owned Helix) there seems to be a known issue when connected to USB with the Editor open where the Helix can just freeze. Audio still routes through it and is processed with whatever preset happened to be on when the problem occurred, but none of the controls or foot switches function. You have to restart the Helix to get it back to normal. Scary at first, and gives you that awful 'now I have to deal with a return' feeling, which you don;t, because quite a few folks seem to experience the same thing so hopefully a future firmware fix.

I will also say, hours and hours or use and a few gigs in with Helix and issue has never happened unless I was running and connected to the Editor so that's definitely a quantifiable risk.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me your input. I'm clear now that I already have everything installed that I will need and the Helix application is not necessary.

And also special thanks to regalpierot for the heads up about the Helix freezing if the editor is open. I'll have to keep that in mind. Definitely would have freaked me out a little if I wasn't aware of it.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!