Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix + H9

jetdriver

For those of you connecting an Eventide H9 in stereo, how are you setting your mix levels on the helix? And what happens if I only connect the mono (L) XLR to the FOH? Will it make it mono automatically? I seem to remember something about setting mix at 50% for some reason.

Playing live I run mono almost exclusively. So maybe it would be easier to run it/connect it that way?

• Upvote 1

I don't have an H9 (although I want one), but presumably you would keep it at 100% wet and control the wet/dry mix from Helix's FX Loop block's Mix parameter. 50% is a good starting point, but trust your ears.

If the XLR R is not connected, Helix automatically sums both sides to mono from the XLR L.

Hey jetdriver, have you delved into having the Helix control the H9 via midi yet (just Activate\Deactive and Preset Cycling). I've been meaning to sit down and sort through it but if anyone has taken that steps and knows of any specifics regarding channel and particular program messages that have to be sent...well I'd appreciate it.

One thing I noticed from the command center is the PC messages start at 0 on the Helix and the preset numbers start at 1 on the H9. Took a little bit to figure out why my patches were not lining up. Once I got that down it was easy peasy. The H9 actually listens to the Helix and follows its commands! (HAHA) This was my first attempt at adding a midi controlled device with my Helix, it is freakin' awesome!!

• Upvote 1

I have the H9 running in the FX loop as a serial effect and let the H9 control the wet/dry mix.  MIDI control is pretty good, use program change to set the effects and you can program pretty much everything else to respond to a CC message

Mike

• 1 month later...

One thing I noticed from the command center is the PC messages start at 0 on the Helix and the preset numbers start at 1 on the H9. Took a little bit to figure out why my patches were not lining up. Once I got that down it was easy peasy. The H9 actually listens to the Helix and follows its commands! (HAHA) This was my first attempt at adding a midi controlled device with my Helix, it is freakin' awesome!!

I was reading this tread to see if the Helix could send simple PC messages, as the manual fails to mention this (I'm thinking of buying) 

But I own the H9 and one thing you can do is inside the App that controls the H9, you can set it so that it responds one number off so that the number you set on your sending device matches. I discovered this when using with my Kemper

• Upvote 1

I was reading this tread to see if the Helix could send simple PC messages, as the manual fails to mention this (I'm thinking of buying) 

But I own the H9 and one thing you can do is inside the App that controls the H9, you can set it so that it responds one number off so that the number you set on your sending device matches. I discovered this when using with my Kemper

It can send PC messages along with a bunch of other commands. It's all explained on pages 43 and 44 of the manual.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else having issues with clipping the H9's input with it in one of the Helix's FX Loops? I have to turn down the FX Loops send level to -2.5db in order make it stop clipping but it messes with the over all level controls of the H9 I am finding.

• Upvote 1

I thought there is a setting somewhere in Helix to tell the PC messages to start at 1 or 0? I just did a brief search of the manual but am not finding that bit..

Also watch out for MIDI CC#128! According to the manual:(rev.D, page 58)

MIDI CC#: 128

Value: 0-63: Oh;

64-127: Nooo

"Helix achieves self-awareness and starts poking fun of that face you make during the solo"

Is anyone else having issues with clipping the H9's input with it in one of the Helix's FX Loops? I have to turn down the FX Loops send level to -2.5db in order make it stop clipping but it messes with the over all level controls of the H9 I am finding.

Do you have the Helix's loop set to instrument level?

Do you have the Helix's loop set to instrument level?

After I posted this I was wondering the same thing after looking at the parameters of the Global Settings. What are the default settings? I don't have my Helix in front of me at the moment but whatever the default setting are as I have not changed them.

After I posted this I was wondering the same thing after looking at the parameters of the Global Settings. What are the default settings? I don't have my Helix in front of me at the moment but whatever the default setting are as I have not changed them.

I believe the default setting is line level.

So it turns out the setting for the loops are set to instrument. Any ideas why it's still clipping? Someone must have run into this before. :unsure:

Do you have the effects loop block after the amp block? The output from the amp block can actually be quite high, so I suppose it's possible that the output from the effect send might be hot in that case. The remedy for that would be reducing the channel volume parameter in the amp block.

Do you have the effects loop block after the amp block? The output from the amp block can actually be quite high, so I suppose it's possible that the output from the effect send might be hot in that case. The remedy for that would be reducing the channel volume parameter in the amp block.

That's exactly what was causing it. Ch Vol was on 9.7. Turned it down and the clipping went away. Beginners mistake. Thanks so much!

• 1 year later...

That's exactly what was causing it. Ch Vol was on 9.7. Turned it down and the clipping went away. Beginners mistake. Thanks so much!

Any chance you guys would be willing to share the patch you have that works with an H9? I have got a gig coming up where i would like to drive everything via the Helix with my 2 H9s, but every time i have tried to get them working together as a stereo setup it's not sounded great...any tips appreciated!! 

I use the H9 in stereo loop 3/4.   With the exception of the Pitchfuzz (which is awesome, btw), I run the H9 after the amp, 100%.   I do have to adjust either the amp output, or the fx send/return, as well as the Input Gain on the H9.   I use the H9 fuzz with my strat (low output pickups), and a bunch of other algorithms with my humbucker guitars.  

I've run the H9 in a parallel path, but you have to remember to set "kill dry" on the h9 for those patches.   Pretty sure I ended up using it in serial stereo for everything, but it definitely takes some level tweaking.  At least H9 gives you a clue it's clipping (hint, hint, Eric....).  

My latest favorite is a patch I downloaded off of customtone called SnapsTrain.  I made a few mods, threw in the H9 and am digging it.  Right now I have no band, so I'm one of those dudes sitting at home between two L2s in stereo playing "For the Love of God" badly.    Stereo is awesome!