Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing Help

ricksteruk

This is gonna require some thought...

I am using two amps as stereo stage monitors (also using them both in 4cm to access their preamps), I also want to use Helix to process my vocal mic.  The amps are currently plugged into the 1/4in outs so they can just be ran in stereo.  The XLR feed the PA.

My current setup is:

Path 1A - XLR mic - VOCAL FX - XLR out to PA

Path 1B - Guitar In - PRE AMP FX - Send/Return 1 (H&K's preamp in 4cm) - Send/Return 2 (Session's preamp) - Path 2A

Path 2A - Helix preamp (when selected) - POST FX --- (SPLIT TO PATH 2B) - 1/4 in outs to AMP returns for stage

Path 2B - Cab Block (Interstate 2x12) - XLR out to PA

This works pretty well - but I am not able to run any parallel delays/reverbs as I've run out of paths.

I could just remove my vocal from the setup I guess, then I could use a parallel path for that - I've only done 1 gig with it so far and actually didn't use the vocal mic on Helix as I thought it was too much of a risk as I'd only had there Helix for about 2 weeks at that time.

ANYWAY that was the background.. HERE IS MY QUESTION.

Is it possible to make a set so I can plug 2 guitars into Helix, and have them both playing at the same time, one through each amp... AND at the same time feed the XLRs to the PA?   Whilst keeping the vocal mic path 1A in place?

My guess is no.   

If I get rid of the vocal mic I can simply use paths 1A&B for guitar 1 (1/4 L,XLR) and Paths 2A&B for guitar 2 (1/4 R, XLR)

But I'd still not be able to to parallel paths for reverb / delays.  Shame you need to use a whole path just to send to the XLR as well as the 1/4in outs

Make me wish even more for my routing enhancement Idea for the Send Return blocks.

I think you could accomplish this by putting fx sends at the end of each path and sending them to the amps. Even with the sends turned on the signal can still pass through to the output blocks at the ends of paths, which you can use to go XLR to your PA.

I think you could accomplish this by putting fx sends at the end of each path and sending them to the amps. Even with the sends turned on the signal can still pass through to the output blocks at the ends of paths, which you can use to go XLR to your PA.

Hi Darrell, yes that would most likely work fine - I could use Send 3 and 4.    The Downside to doing that would be that I could no longer use the Big Helix Volume knob to control my stage amps - and as I'd have two amps one either side of the stage I would want to be able to adjust the volume on them both at the same time easily.

I wish I could assign a send block to the 1/4in outputs!

You could Assign the volume of exp 1 to send 1 and exp2 to send 2

Or do what I did and buy some long speaker cables and rack mount the Amps

(Doesn't work for combos though...)

Yeah that might be a good solution for now actually - especially if I plugged in one of these small Nose micro expression units..

product_microexpression1.jpg

You could Assign the volume of exp 1 to send 1 and exp2 to send 2

Or do what I did and buy some long speaker cables and rack mount the Amps

(Doesn't work for combos though...)

I'd need to assign both Sends to the same Expression pedal if I wanted to control them at the same time.  I use my Helix Exp1 for wah and Exp 2 for lead volume swells, so I'd need to plug in a 3rd expression pedal to use as a master volume (that's why I posted the Nose picture before.. sorry didn't explain myself properly!)

You know... I think you are making Helix do SO much here. offload some of that stuff so you can do more with Helix and your guitar.

Seriously... I know you CAN process 2 or 3 different players' instruments/mics through Helix. Doesn't mean you SHOULD necessarily.

You know... I think you are making Helix do SO much here. offload some of that stuff so you can do more with Helix and your guitar.

Seriously... I know you CAN process 2 or 3 different players' instruments/mics through Helix. Doesn't mean you SHOULD necessarily.

Hehe - I think you might be right :)  If I just lose my vocal from the Helix that would ease things up a fair bit.

Still I am tempted..  I like trying to squeeze every last ounce out of my gear.