Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume management issues using 4 CM with a blackstar ht5r

kreator1972

I think every amp is different when it comes to using 4cm.

The trick to setting up 4cm properly is-

1) make sure the Send/Return loop is set at INSTRUMENT level not LINE to begin with.

2) Adjust the SEND level (Knob1 on the Send/Return block) so that the input level from Helix is the same as when you plug your guar directly into the front of the amp.  You can just unplug the cable from Helix Guitar in and plug it into the front of the amp to check (removing the one that's there already that comes from Helix's Send socket) .... LISTEN for a bit to get the level in your head -- then plug your guitar back to Helix Guiar IN and replace the cable from Helix's Send, and then Adjust the Knob 1 SEND so it's the same level as the dry guitar.  (REPEAT as necessary)

3) Adjust the RETURN level control (Knob2 on Send/Return block) to match the level you get with bypassed Send/Return block level and the Helix amp activated instead - assign both the Send/Return block and the Helix amp to the same footswitch and you can A/B between them.

Hope that helps!

Rick

Tanks Rick, the biggest issue I have is that I play at low volume (I live in a appartement) and everyrhing works fine with the loop until I bypass the amp's preamp then I have no more control on my amp and the volume is cranked to 11 (movie reference) so then I have tu turn down the helix master volume and after I go back to my amp pre the volume is way too low... I hope I explain this correcrly cause my primary language is french 😀

Tanks Rick, the biggest issue I have is that I play at low volume (I live in a appartement) and everyrhing works fine with the loop until I bypass the amp's preamp then I have no more control on my amp and the volume is cranked to 11 (movie reference) so then I have tu turn down the helix master volume and after I go back to my amp pre the volume is way too low... I hope I explain this correcrly cause my primary language is french

No problem :) Yeah - just reducing either the SEND and RETUN levels with knobs 1 and 2 should sort you out! - I find that the SEND is about right at 0dB for my amps, but that I need to reduce the return to about -15dB to balance it with the Helix amps.

Your English is very good btw!  I would have absolutely no chance of making any sense if I was asking for help in French!