Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk FX is abandoned

HMPoweredMan

Did you finally resolve this? I had the same issue. Found out from 2 users here I was using the Amplifi remote app instead of the Firehawk app.!! Problem solved for me. Works great now.

No... I waste on average 30 minutes to an hour a week trying to get the app to recognize/sync/acknowledge the existence of my fire hawk.. even though my iPhone says it's connected and plays music to it... but the app does not see it... had the same issue with amplifi products... So until that works more reliably... I say it is not working as advertised. I'd rather have a wired usb connection that worked 99% of the time then a wireless that worked 60% of the time..

Fix that and i'll be a happy camper..

"My pedalboard (a modified Showmaster 48 case) is very tidy with just a Line6 Relay G30, Pitchblack tuner, Firehawk and power supply block ;-)"

Are you powering your Firehawk with a power supply block? And, if so, what power supply block are you using?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Firehawk FX and I too hope that there will be future enhancements. But there may not be, so as an owner I get to choose how to feel about that: satisfied with the current state, or disappointed with it. I choose to be satisfied because it still does what I got it for, exactly as advertised.

This discussion is not about Firehawk. It's been around for as long as I've been around this forum and happens every time a new product is released. It will happen with Helix too when the next latest and greatest Line 6 product comes along.

Users of older products seem to divide themselves into one of two camps, based on their personal expectations when they bought the product.

Group 1 make their purchasing decisions based on what the product will do today. If the product works as advertised they are satisfied. Any future improvements or enhancements are considered a bonus and serve to increase their satisfaction. Hence there's no anxiety about what, when, or if future goodies are pending.

Group 2 make their purchasing decisions based on Line 6's history of improving products over time. They expect the product to continue to be able to do more than it does today, and are disappointed if those improvements aren't 'big' enough or don't come 'fast enough' whatever that means. In what ways should the product be improved, and for how long? The answer to those questions is different for everybody in this group, but everyone seems clear that there's always more improvements to be made, and it should be enhanced indefinitely as long as users ask for it. These users seem to choose to live in a constant state of disappointment. In their minds there are always features missing and whenever it stops being enhanced is too soon. There's nothing wrong with this viewpoint - it just seems to me to breed disappointment.

This is merely the latest in an apparently unending series of threads like this that start up regularly in every product forum as newer products are released. The same old viewpoints are expressed again.The thread is usually started by someone in Group 2 saying that they are dissatisfied. They feel entitled to more updates as expressed in Ideascale - at least for another (unspecified) period of time - and have been abandoned until/unless that happens. Group 1 responds by saying they are satisfied and that updates are a bonus not an entitlement. And so it goes round and round.

So all of us get to choose whether we want to be satisfied or disappointed. I am solidly in Group 1 - I find life easier when I'm satisfied with my purchasing decisions.

+1  

Well said.  The Amplifi 150 had a bit of a bumpy start but it's working much better now that they've upgraded a few things and I'm happy with it and have confidence in Line 6.  I would definitely consider a Firehawk or Helix (most likely the Helix because I think it's worth the extra money).  I would like to add that for what these units are capable of doing and taking the cost into consideration you have to feel lucky these days.  Unless you have tons of money, space and motivation, having all of these amps and effects and switching options isn't feasible for most of us.  I'm glad Line 6 is making the products they do and are constantly researching and developing new technology.   B)   

• Upvote 1

I had the amplify 150 when it first came out. I thought it was great next step all in one unit. Stream your music so you can practice your sets. Light weight. Easy iPad adjust all parameters while not hooked up by computer or being bent over. What more could you want? Well how about a way to hook up to Foh for just one. So I bought the Helix. That was a nightmare for me. Now i was one of the first to get it and by now they probably have most bugs out of it. Great looking unit not as easy to just stand and adjust parameters via iPad. You had to have it on your desk or cabled to a computer. It at the time was a mess playing out live, hooking it up to older foh units with phantom power. I could go on and on but I won't, and it was returned. now enter the firehawk 1500. It was exactly what I hoped the amplify 150 would be. Bigger sounding, easy hook up to foh, iPad user friendly, etc. but, omg is this thing heavy! I had to get a cart to wheel it around. So I got the firehawk fx. I have that mounted on large pedal train board with my tuner g50 wireless extra volume pedal. And subtle volume to control my atomic neo Mkii wedge. Xlr to foh, 1/4 to subtle vol to wedge. Wow! Perfect! Now my firehawk 1500 is used for streaming music while I play thru my fh fx. Tone wise this setup sounds great! And I have had the red been thru helix..

I had the amplify 150 when it first came out. I thought it was great next step all in one unit. Stream your music so you can practice your sets. Light weight. Easy iPad adjust all parameters while not hooked up by computer or being bent over. What more could you want? Well how about a way to hook up to Foh for just one. So I bought the Helix. That was a nightmare for me. Now i was one of the first to get it and by now they probably have most bugs out of it. Great looking unit not as easy to just stand and adjust parameters via iPad. You had to have it on your desk or cabled to a computer. It at the time was a mess playing out live, hooking it up to older foh units with phantom power. I could go on and on but I won't, and it was returned. now enter the firehawk 1500. It was exactly what I hoped the amplify 150 would be. Bigger sounding, easy hook up to foh, iPad user friendly, etc. but, omg is this thing heavy! I had to get a cart to wheel it around. So I got the firehawk fx. I have that mounted on large pedal train board with my tuner g50 wireless extra volume pedal. And subtle volume to control my atomic neo Mkii wedge. Xlr to foh, 1/4 to subtle vol to wedge. Wow! Perfect! Now my firehawk 1500 is used for streaming music while I play thru my fh fx. Tone wise this setup sounds great! And I have had the red been thru helix..

Firehawk FX through the Firehawk 1500? Sweet set-up.

I've just checked and there's about £100 difference between the FBV3 and Firehawk FX so you might as well get the FH FX rather than the FBV3 and have the redundancy, as you say, in case the FX goes down.

If you've had Helix and now FH, which do you prefer, and why?

I prefer the firehawk fx. Now like I said I bought the helix when it first came out and I'm not sure what the firmware has fixed since then. It's kinda like this analogy, when the first vcr's came out it was just hit play rewind or fast forward years later you couldn't even figure out how to set your clock. Even tho the vcr part was the same. I play out mostly, I like to be able to adjust a few parameters at the gig and go. The fh lets me stand hook up my iPad and a couple of sliders later I'm good to go. Tone wise the helix outside a band mix was good and had more ways to get your tone. In a band mix I could get both to sound very close. At the time the helix wasn't very friendly with foh hook ups and phantom power etc. my fh fx is just plug xlr and go no problems. So I guess if your someone who never plays out and likes to mess with their tone for countless hours on end editing with multiple paths etc. Go Helix. If you are in a band and like ease of adjustments and don't like to be chasing the tone tail. Firehawk fx or fh 1500.

• 2 weeks later...

For me in a covers band, having to go from AC/DC to The Police, to Paul Simon, to Chuck Berry, to Coldplay, to Boston, to the organ noise in Town Called Malice, and on and on, the FHFX is perfectly versatile and works a treat - I love mine. 

The ONLY thing I would change is adding the ability to run amp-level out of the 1/4" to my amp (ie minus cab sims), along with XLR out to FOH at line-level (with cab sims), as the sound direct out of the unit is superb. 

For me in a covers band, having to go from AC/DC to The Police, to Paul Simon, to Chuck Berry, to Coldplay, to Boston, to the organ noise in Town Called Malice, and on and on, the FHFX is perfectly versatile and works a treat - I love mine. 

The ONLY thing I would change is adding the ability to run amp-level out of the 1/4" to my amp (ie minus cab sims), along with XLR out to FOH at line-level (with cab sims), as the sound direct out of the unit is superb. 

Cool.  Have you uploaded any of your tones?  I'm interested in almost all of the bands you mention.

• 1 month later...

First , I use Firehawk about a year , and I like it . There many fautures that is really good. BUT I completely agree with the people from the forum that the support of Firehawk is completely disgusting. It sounded here that if everything works as promised, it means everything is OK. In my case, this is not enough. Firehawk is far from being ideal. And buying this device , I went on certain compromises with myself hoping that some of them will be solved by software updates, as it usually made by Line 6 and as other vendors do. For example, there many complains that as in HD 500 as in Firehawk distortions do not sound natural. It is true. I didn't expect to much, I was ready that it will be difference. I just want to tell that there are many ways to make this device better. Also there on the forum was many requests about possibilities to add some pedalas. All of them are ignored. In my case it would nice to add some pitch shifter.

Other problems I have:

- sound playing with lag . This is a problem when i learning something with guitar pro.

- tone of backing track is shifting. So i sound like off tune. ( I can tune a guitar to be in tune) This problems rise with Android and Apple devices.

- android app suddenly asks to sign in for many times

That is short list of my issues. Other people here writing about other. There is no feedback.

• Upvote 1

Interesting topic.  Just picked up a Firehawk from a major online vendor at a very reduced price.  Just speculation but me thinks that Line6 may be planing on dropping  this product in persuit of a smaller version of the Helix.  1500 is a lot for your average middle class musician to spend on a multi-effects unit.  A smaller scaled down unit with a smaller price tag would sell in buckets.  Right before BOSS came out with the GT1 they were giving $100 rebates toward the purchase of the GT100.  Would be interested to hear other comments from members of this group especially the LINE6 Experts regarding this topic.        

There is also now competition in the $1,000 range (Headrush). Would love to see a new Firehawk with HX models and ability to run third party IR's for $699. It wouldn't need the display panel that Helix uses, since it would continue to interface via Bluetooth, or even better WiFi (like the GoPro camera). It's routing flexibility would be stripped down compared to Helix, but the ability to output 1/4" without Cab/IR to an amp should be available while simultaneously routing Amp+Cab/IR to FOH via XLR should be there.

...... Would be interested to hear other comments from members of this group especially the LINE6 Experts regarding this topic.

Unfortunately we're not very helpful when it comes to inside information about future product developments. In most cases we really don't have any information. Sometimes we do, but we have also signed non-disclosure agreements that prevent us from talking about the info publicly.

So whether we do or don't know anything the answer here is the same - we don't know anything.

• Upvote 1

I would suspect something is on the horizon at least, maybe something sooner, but I hope that line 6 have seen the potential of the Bluetooth/tablet editor , I have really enjoyed using it with the firehawk and I hope they don't ditch it on future products.

Unfortunately we're not very helpful when it comes to inside information about future product developments. In most cases we really don't have any information. Sometimes we do, but we have also signed non-disclosure agreements that prevent us from talking about the info publicly.

So whether we do or don't know anything the answer here is the same - we don't know anything.

I'm not really interested in "new products" at this time, but will the 'lag' between patch changes on the FHFX ever be solved with updates?

Like I said - I don't know anything about future updates. Neither does anyone else who is free to talk about it. If someone says they do know they are either just speculating or they are breaking their NDA.

Questions like this are futile. Line 6 announces updates when they are ready to. Anything else is pure speculation.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool.  Have you uploaded any of your tones?  I'm interested in almost all of the bands you mention.

I haven't actually, as they're not 'true copies' of the songs sound but rather variations adapted to suit how we play certain songs and EQ'd to suit my amp and guitar as well (eg my tone for AC/DC played on my Tele through a Fender amp would probably sound atrocious on an SG through a Marshall!) - 

Though 'crazy organ sound' from the tonecloud is the organ noise I use for Doors, Town Called Malice etc, it's pretty cool! 

• Upvote 1

I haven't actually, as they're not 'true copies' of the songs sound but rather variations adapted to suit how we play certain songs and EQ'd to suit my amp and guitar as well (eg my tone for AC/DC played on my Tele through a Fender amp would probably sound atrocious on an SG through a Marshall!) - 

Though 'crazy organ sound' from the tonecloud is the organ noise I use for Doors, Town Called Malice etc, it's pretty cool! 

Thanks.  I'll give 'crazy organ sound' a whirl.

Firehawk is abandoned? Maybe. But now I'm abandoning firehawk. I've tried it for a year now and it's a great concept but it just doesn't deliver. The tones are not as natural as my old POD HD and it just isn't reliable. Bluetooth drop outs, latency, and explosive sounds. I gave it a real go, but I'm out, sorry.

• Upvote 1

I'm not so sure the Firehawk FX is dead. That's a 550.00 dollar price difference you are looking at. Line 6 can't assume everyone has that kind of money to buy a modeler. I'd wait and see. If anything it tells me that maybe the sales numbers for the Helix may not be there. I don't consider the Helix LT and the Firehawk FX as competition for each other. Way! different pricing!!!

• Upvote 1

I'm not so sure the Firehawk FX is dead. That's a 550.00 dollar price difference you are looking at. Line 6 can't assume everyone has that kind of money to buy a modeler. I'd wait and see. If anything it tells me that maybe the sales numbers for the Helix may not be there. I don't consider the Helix LT and the Firehawk FX as competition for each other. Way! different pricing!!!

The cynic in me tells me that Line 6 have written the Firehawk FX off.  

But I agree with your comment about the pricing.  The optimist in me hopes that the Helix LT is part of a strategy to reposition its product line.  The Helix LT could be considered to be more of a replacement for the ageing HD500X (which was once the premium Line 6 modeller), with the line up then being: Amplifi > Firehawk FX > Helix LT > Helix Floor/Rack.

Any thoughts?

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought into the Firehawk FX line this past weekend and I love it.

Unfortunately, I feel like Line 6 is prob done with dev. of this product as well. So long since the last update. Look at the Helix getting updates on the regular.

I just sold my Firehawk FX and now own a Helix LT 😊

The Firehawk is dead for sure,but still a great device as it stands.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the difference in tone quality once you get your head around the helix

Well if I'm honest when I first plugged It in and downloaded a few custom tones, I was disappointed, It didn't sound much better than the Firehawk, well not £500 more difference.

But once you get the hang of tweaking ( which I'm not to good at yet ) you can certainly tell the difference, just sounds fuller and richer if that makes sense?

Still early days for me yet, but it is very simple to find your way a round the device for sure.

I do really miss the Bluetooth function tho of the Firehawk, I don't always have access to the laptop at home, so was handy being able to just use my phone to stream etc. Can't really give much more detail yet as it's still early days.

yeppers...being one of those "buy a product for what it does now" folks, I went ahead and picked up a Firehawk this past week.

Future updates/improvements would be nice to see, but I didn't purchased based on that and it wasn't a deal breaker for me...and now that I have it, I certainly don't feel abandoned.

TBH at first, I wasn't sure what to make of using the app for mostly accessing the pedal...I come from the old school of spending hours tweaking patches from my old GSP 2101 and have also been primarily just using stomp boxes over the years. So, from that perspective, yeah- you gotta detach from that "future proof" mentality a little.

but after I settled in the fact that it is why I chose that over the HD500x- the convenience of the app (I'm never without my phone or tablet), as well as the current feature list in the Firehawk....here I am.

I should mention that at first I primarily was playing from headphones and wasn't so sure about the Firehawk at first.

The past few days I finally was able to spend some quality time and plugged it in a few different amps I have (1 being the 4 cable method) the others gave me an opportunity to compare the output sound...and I can honestly say after tweaking some of the tones and finding a couple decent sounding ones in the cloud- I am extremely pleased with this pedal. I'm looking forward to including this into rotation of my live/ stage sound. It gets plenty of tones that I thought were fantastic out of the different amps I tested it on.

But just as with anything, you need to spend a little time with it to tailor it to your personal tastes...there is no such thing as a "God patch" that's going to make everyone's ears tingle with joy as if they're hearing unicorns and rainbows aligning with the universe perfectly.  It all comes down to personal taste and preference.

In my 35+ years of playing, everything requires movement of those little knobs and dials when you first plug it in...I have yet to play a pedal, amp or effects board that sounds perfect out of the box...and of course that will never happen.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and hope that others aren't discouraged because of some folks negative feelings about their unrealistic expectations that products need to be updated forever - beyond their advertised functionality ....and of course that'll never happen either- everything has a shelf life- including that latest and greatest that is always around the corner.

I totally agree with all that , bottom line is , show me a pedal that can do what the firehawk does for £300

Over on gear page somebody reviewed the new headrush pedal with the words "hd500 comparable tones" and "touchscreen control" I thought wow, competition to the firehawk, but no , sadly that pedal is £899 hahahaha

I'm very fond of my Firehawk but my head has been turned by the Helix Lt. The only thing that is stopping me from taking the plunge is how attached I've become to using my phone to control it. My logical brain is telling me that I should stick with the Firehawk but my irrational tone sniffer is telling me I should definitely waste my money. I'd be very interested to hear how you cope with the loss of Bluetooth Paradise.

I'm not sure the lt is worth the £300 saving, I could use the helix for vocals at the same time as guitar , that would mean I could sell my vocal pedal , I couldn't do that with the lt , or at least that's how I understand it, if I'm incorrect please put me straight lol, if I could get another £100 off the lt I'd be a lot more interested in it though

Think you're right about the vocals. I'm so used to the Firehawk now I don't really need to tweak much. Unfortunately it means I've more time to practice which exposes my limitations. If I got an LT it's back to the drawing board and I wouldn't have to waste precious tweaking time practising.

Yeah sInce I've had my LT my guitar playing/practicing as certainly took a nose dive.

I've been non stop tweaking and get frustrated about loosing my very limited practice time.

But I know once I've got my tones I want all will be good again.

I use the laptop now to edit, which is good because there's zero lag or stutter when playing back music through it compared to the BT on the FX which did drop out now and then, but not often.

I've also still got a Amplfi if I need a BT fix.

There's a massive facebook page for the LT with over 6000 members all really helpful nice people too, that helps with any problems I might come across with the LT.

I think if you're happy with your tones with the FX stick with it, and maybe go and have a listen and play with a LT before thinking of swapping, and see if it's for you or not?