Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Seeking Opinions

regalpierot

Obviously, it's all down to taste but....

After owning the Helix for a few weeks and essentially altering the factory presets and trying to build one or two of my own I finally grabbed a bunch from the Customtone area for the first time last night. It's like I just found second gear in the Ferrari (leading to my obvious own question of why I even waited a few weeks to do it).Utterly amazing sounds, and thanks to anyone and everyone who takes the time to construct and post a tone. 

My question is about the Glenn DeLaune ones, the entire catalogue is about $55 and would seem like the best option. I only really know of them through some YouTube search results and the odd mention in these forums. Has anyone actually purchased his set and if so, were you happy with them and are they worth buying. 

Also, I juste tended to order the CUSTOMTONE list by download number and grabbed the first 20 or so, just such a huge list up there already. Anyone got one or more that they've grabbed they absolutely love and use a lot. 

Thanks in advance, 

I grabbed the Artist Patches (18 patches) IIRC and if nothing else, they are a good starting point (if not a finished product),  but as always It's gonna always be adjust and suite to taste ear wise for anyones patch. The thing is these ideas that Glenn shows is a stepping stone for further ideas, and Ive found that with just a few adjustments I have a working patch I can use to record with using Glenns efforts. To me $55.00 is a good price for all that effort, but as always YMMV. Hope this helps!  :)

I own all the patches and have used several live. I settled on his Matchless patches as my favorite and I tweak them as needed. His choice of cabinet sounds awesome, but I've started messing with IRs for some different flavor. I think Glenn's patches are worth owning.

I own all of his as well and will continue to grow them as he releases them. As the others said I tweak some a little and others I use as is. They are great and I am sure he spends a lot of time with tweaking to get what he wants. If we all had the exact same gear I am sure they would never need tweaked.

I'm not as convinced about them. I bought them all, and they were helpful in learning about patch construction. I want to know the Helix inside out and be able to construct my own patches and dial in the exact sound I want. Once I was able to learn from Glenn I was off and running, however I don't use any of his patches now and in fact deleted them last night. So I treated them as a tutorial.

• Upvote 1

While I have all of Glenn's patches and I like them, I honestly have learned the most from Scott's patches at TheHelixChannel on youtube.  He posts here as well under that name.   While he does use Ownhammer IR's, for learning who things work on the Helix to get YOUR sound, they really are the best in my opinion.  He is VERY conservative on blocks and really gets EQ and the whole Sag, Ripple, BIAS and hum stuff.  

I suggest checking out his youtube channel and just watch and listen, then decide.   He actually shows the patches and what the different parameters do and why.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpJrfCxQmio6zyjut4n0qRw

He also is the one who posts the Freeset Friday presets.

As always, a collection of people who gave up some of their valuable Saturday time to post and offer assistance. Thanks chaps, greatly appreciated. Definitely think I'll grab them for all the reasons you've stated., as a roadmap to being able to master this thing. 

Also, I juste tended to order the CUSTOMTONE list by download number and grabbed the first 20 or so, just such a huge list up there already. ...

If you click on the "Ratings" heading at the top right hand side of the Customtone main page you can order them by 5 stars - 1 stars and pick off the ones that people have rated the highest.

It's like I just found second gear in the Ferrari (leading to my obvious own question of why I even waited a few weeks to do it).Utterly amazing sounds, and thanks to anyone and everyone who takes the time to construct and post a tone...

I don't want to take away from anyone who makes and gives away or sells patches at all... (for some I'm sure they are great, and for others the very best solution and for others the only solution) but...

Yes, you found second gear. If you want to find 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and maybe even 6th gear and 7th heaven... 

Go to a blank patch. Make your own. It'll be hard the first time, and you'll do it wrong, but that's okay.

Wait a week, make a new one from scratch, changing your workflow based on what you've learned.

Then... after a week or a month, do that again...

Thank me later.

Seriously.

Since I'm a beta tester (and take this seriously) whenever there is a new firmware update I build a couple patches from scratch, and come up with totally new ways to do things that are seriously amazing and change my workflow. Also, you can get so much flexibility out of one patch that whereas I used to go between 3 or 4 for every guitar, it's down to one or two. There are ways of doing things in here that I wouldn't have ever discovered without this, along with some AMAZING tips I've gotten from folks on here.

Roll your own. Seriously.

+1 PeterHamm

I have given away patches to people to help with 4cm stuff but I find it rediculous that people would buy patches rather than create their own.

As in life, there are no short cuts.  At some point, you're going to have to pay your dues.  I've been using Line6 stuff since the begining and I am constantly learning new ways of doing things.  Evolve or die.

One thing tricky though is if people post presets to Customtone that had IR files for the cabs you will need to load in your own or select a similar cab. I'm not sure if everybody understands that fully. So the tones with IRs missing sound like a can of bees.

The presets I did here: https://youtu.be/h2F_zP8CSNg

Did not get high ratings on the custom tone and I thought they were at least decent hi gain patches for what I do. The thing is though that the IRs are a big part of the over all sound so if you can't figure out a good IR to use it may not sound too good.

Either way I still believe using IR files vs the Helix built in cabs makes a pretty big difference as the built in cabs sound very boxy to me. My advice would be find a good IR pack and you will all of a sudden have much better sounding patches with less effort.