Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume difference between monitor and headphones

Shimonma357

Hi all,

Just wondering if you guys are troubled like me with that....

The thing us, I play a lot using my headphones... Two kids.... And my only spare time is bed time. I usually play using q base, and helix through usb. The thing is that I find that the output to the heads is realy higher than what is coming through my q base. I keep balancing it using the mixer. But when I switch back to playing with my krk monitors 6", everything changes and the whole mixing is out. The monitor output is lower related to the heads.

What am I missing?

* I am using beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250ohm

Thx

My Helix Rack has separate volume control for the headphones. You're only going to be listening to one or the other (monitors or heaphones) at any time so why not just connect your headphones directly to Helix when you want to use them, and set/leave the volume control where you want it?

I'm confused. What purpose does q base (whatever that is) serve? You should be able to play directly through the Helix with either the speakers or the headset.

I am using q base a lot.... Just recording or even to my daily practice. It's easy to use for me. But every time I switch from headphones to monitors I gave to Re level the volume controls.

My Helix Rack has separate volume control for the headphones. You're only going to be listening to one or the other (monitors or heaphones) at any time so why not just connect your headphones

directly to Helix when you want to use them, and set/leave the volume control where you want it?

I am using it like u suggest. Headphones direct to my helix and monitor directly to the helix, USB out to my pc...

It's strange to me that there such a great different between the headphones to the monitors if compare to what comes out from q base. I actually need to increase the q base master volume each time when using heads to much the levels. Somtimes it make me crossing the limits, so I have to go back to my preset and lower the volume or master control at the amp box.... Or just using the volume pedal.

Your post is very confusing. If it's a difference between the monitors and headphones, balance the two knobs on your helix so they're level comparatively. I still have no idea what Cubase has to do with this scenario.

When you're plugged into the headphones Jack, you're monitoring direct from the helix, your pc has zero to do with levels regardless of whether you're recording from the usb or not. At least that's what I've come to understand.

Your post is very confusing. If it's a difference between the monitors and headphones, balance the two knobs on your helix so they're level comparatively. I still have no idea what Cubase has to do with this scenario.

When you're plugged into the headphones Jack, you're monitoring direct from the helix, your pc has zero to do with levels regardless of whether you're recording from the usb or not. At least that's what I've come to understand.

The volume controls at the helix unit, no matter which, the phones or the Standart is controlling the total out put. Now since my helix is connected to the pc as a soundcard the audio from the pc is also controlled by it. Just that if you compare balance headphones to pc or monitor to pc the head phones is higher than pc after I balance pc to monitor.

That is what the volume knobs are for. Turn them until you like the volume!

The problem is that the same volume is controlling my pc output so bother increase same time. This is why I have to Re balance both every time... Pc and helix output (phones / monitor). Pc by using q base mixer or helix amp set

IF I understand the OP's question right, I've noticed this too. When I turn the Helix headphone volume up enough to be full and comfortable, and it's also plugged into my PC too, the computer sounds are way louder than the Helix. YouTube, system alerts, everything.

I will try to use the global EQ for headphone use, by lowering the level down. I think this way I can go back from headphones to monitors with just activating the settings. it will require me raise the level up tp my XLR's. this way both heads and monitors have the same volume.