Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 700 Acoustic not working

Hi everyone. I bought a second-hand Variax 700 Acoustic (serial number 04091754). All plugs are correct and all equipment is original, still when I plug it following the given instructions, the guitar doesn't turn on.
The equipment is:

1 Planet Waves Stereo Cable
1 XPS Footswitch (Line6 D.I.)

It seems as if the footswitch does not supply the guitar, even it is is on (red light on). Beside, after a while, even if it is connected to the AC network, the footswithc turns off autonomously.

If I use AA alcaline batteries, the guitar turns on but does not produce any sound. When I unplug it, the guitar remains on (green light of the knob).

Any clue? Am I doing some wtong pasage? It the guitar is damaged, how to repair it, and where? I write from Italy.

Thank you for your attention.

My guess from the OP is that it is related to the jack connection and switch. considering the XPS does not turn it on there maybe an issue with the continuity of the switch action at the body of the jack connector.

This is the same point at which the battery switch is for the internal pack. if you take the batteries out and are able to run the guitar through a pod unit by VDI cable (ethernet) you may be able to check if there is further damage to the guitar as it bypasses this jack connector.

I contacted Line 6 about schematic resources for the unit but they were unwilling to supply the info. They directed me to a yamaha support centre on the opposite side of the country (I'm in Australia). Not sure whether Yamaha are handling support in Italy as well.

Hard to tell what's wrong if you got it broken.  You can send it for repair to Line6.  If they still have parts, they can fix it for you. 

Thank you Charlie_Watt.

My guess from the OP is that it is related to the jack connection and switch. considering the XPS does not turn it on there maybe an issue with the continuity of the switch action at the body of the jack connector.

This is the same point at which the battery switch is for the internal pack. if you take the batteries out and are able to run the guitar through a pod unit by VDI cable (ethernet) you may be able to check if there is further damage to the guitar as it bypasses this jack connector.

I contacted Line 6 about schematic resources for the unit but they were unwilling to supply the info. They directed me to a yamaha support centre on the opposite side of the country (I'm in Australia). Not sure whether Yamaha are handling support in Italy as well.

Thank you Mavril, as for Italy I found this: http://lemi.org/yamaha_line6.htm. I'll ask them if the sitll repair discontinued Variax guitars.

• 1 month later...

The bridge wire harness connector controls the "power on" function as well as the input from the bridge. If this connector has come loose or is undone, power will stay on when batteries are connected and there will be no output. I don't know why the board was designed this way, but with the switch out of the circuit, power is always supplied from the batteries. It's opposite of most other guitar power circuit design.

• 5 years later...

Line 6 has an obligation to keep their equipment in use as long as possible. 

Why junk instruments and stuff just because it has a component fault?

We don´t throw away cars when we get a puncture,  hence we should be able to maintain and use all Line 6 products even older models.

Line 6 / Yamaha should release circuit diagrams and repair manual for old models now discontinued.

They should also release for sale replacement circuitry for the VARIAX 300-- 700 guitar models.

Simple stuff like the XPS-AB box should be a simple repair. Far less complex than a mobile phone. Release circuit diagraqms and service manuals.

If this does not get resolved I vow to boycott all Yamaha and Line 6 products.

Treating customers in this way is scandalous.

Help me with obtaining service and repairs to these legacy products.

David.

line6variax1-1fovHr5UnPwR6iHtcpilK71RfV0eiebF.jpg

line6variax4-EB5UrxvU3IwpdzZ14B0zmobHYg.rx9dx.jpg

line6variax6-V3KnVKVwlQoBwkpa3vCINpWiZx4gPo8L.jpg

Variax_Acoustic_700_Close-e90b73e6dc203fc7bb9f981ec395e122.jpg