Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

John Mayer tone?

Shimonma357

Hi

Since John is playing through two rock amp I realy find it hard to start a preset for his tone. I get a realy nice tone from using fender twin Rev and 3 Sigma cab or Jvm 45 with Friedman cab (also 3 sigma). It kind of covering the clean tones, but I am not there yet. (I also use compressor and reverb on the line).

Like to hear your take on how you will create his tone

Hi Shimonma357

Had the same requirement last month and found this thread here in the board:

Created Ultimate Fender John Mayer Clean (Files including custom IRs)

This Thread helped me a lot, especially also the analyse of the patch from user amsdenj (some postings below in the thread). I have tweaked it a bit for my purpose. Now I use one version direct to pa if I play with the choir in church, and one version with my DT25 at home. Give it a try and let us know, what you mean to it.

regards

Ivo

Hi Shimonma357

Had the same requirement last month and found this thread here in the board:

Created Ultimate Fender John Mayer Clean (Files including custom IRs)

This Thread helped me a lot, especially also the analyse of the patch from user amsdenj (some postings below in the thread). I have tweaked it a bit for my purpose. Now I use one version direct to pa if I play with the choir in church, and one version with my DT25 at home. Give it a try and let us know, what you mean to it.

regards

Ivo

Thank you!!!

Will give it a try

• 5 years later...

Hey y'alI!

I experimented with dialing in a John Mayer tone preset not too long ago and even put together a video of me playing with the preset with my strat which gets pretty close to John's "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" tone. No third party cabinet impulses required. Currently working on v2 of the patch now since a couple of buddies had some excellent advice.

It's a free download on Gumroad, just enter $0 at checkout. :)

Here is the video

Here is the Helix preset!

Let me know how you dig it and hope it helps. :)