Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port VX hum/ground loop problem

Hi,

I'm quite shure my problem is not Sonic Port's fault. But maybe somebody can help me to solve it.

It's just that I experience a quite loud hum sound when I connect the Sonic Port VX to a USB Charger (wall adapter from IPhone). I am using the instrument input with electric guitar and iPhone via lightning connector cable and the headphone output of the VX.

So, it this a ground loop? How is that possible? Is far as I know there should be two different ground potentials to create such a loop.

But in this signal chain (guitar > sonic port vx > iPhone via lightning cable> USB wall adapter via mini usb cable) I only assume one ground potential. There is no second device connected to the mains.

Whatever it is, does anybody have a solution? Of course when I disconnect the USB charger, the hum is nearly gone. But I purchased the VX especially for this feature (charging and playing guitar at the same time). Do you VX users have the same hum sound when charging an IOS device through the VX via mini USB cable?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help

Cheers

Raybo

• 3 years later...
On 5/30/2016 at 9:34 AM, raybo66 said:

Hi,

I'm quite shure my problem is not Sonic Port's fault. But maybe somebody can help me to solve it.

It's just that I experience a quite loud hum sound when I connect the Sonic Port VX to a USB Charger (wall adapter from IPhone). I am using the instrument input with electric guitar and iPhone via lightning connector cable and the headphone output of the VX.

So, it this a ground loop? How is that possible? Is far as I know there should be two different ground potentials to create such a loop.

But in this signal chain (guitar > sonic port vx > iPhone via lightning cable> USB wall adapter via mini usb cable) I only assume one ground potential. There is no second device connected to the mains.

Whatever it is, does anybody have a solution? Of course when I disconnect the USB charger, the hum is nearly gone. But I purchased the VX especially for this feature (charging and playing guitar at the same time). Do you VX users have the same hum sound when charging an IOS device through the VX via mini USB cable?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help

Cheers

Raybo

Raybo,

Were you able to find a way around the him/buzz noise? I just bought the same and having the same issue. Like you, I ruled out the guitar and the guitar chord. Leaves the Sonic VX device.

Taskin