Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

terrible noise on magnetic pickups caused by battery?

tommirnknharju

Hi!

Just wondering is it common problem with variax standard guitars that when you have the battery installed there will be a lot of noise in the magnetic pickups. This is evident especially on the bridge pickup which seems logical since it is nearest to the electrical "variax stuff" in the guitar.

And if this is common, then how have you shielded the pickups to get rid of it?

No it is not common.  Try it without the battery.  If it's still noisy its picking up EMI from your room.  It's not the variax electronics unless something is very wrong.  They are single coil pickups which are noise receivers anyway.  Light dimmers are a common source of noise.

The battery isn't the problem since it only starts when the battery is fully installed. Maybe the variax circuit bleeds to the output when it's not on or something. It should be completely off but it isn't since it affects the sound with noise.

Another lesson here, should have bought it from the local shop.

The battery isn't the problem since it only starts when the battery is fully installed.

Call me silly, but seems to me that if the problem only manifests itself when the battery is installed, then the battery must have something to do with it...however unlikely it might seem.

I've had a couple of odd experiences with TS that didn't fit right, and the jack sleeve

covered both contacts. It was a cheap cable. In one case it was zip-cord speaker cable.

Incredible, what some people send me,... the stuff I've had come across my bench.

Starting to see a couple of mal-fitted matings again the last two months. Scary.

Yeah, shouldn't make a difference,... almost, all the time. Sometimes I just have to see

it to believe it, such a mind blower when I do.

Charlie's on the ball today,... good.

• 4 months later...

Got my Variax Standard yesterday. 

Variax models are quiet but I experienced the magnetic pick up noise, with or without the battery installed. I will have to move around within my music room to find a 'sweet spot' with lesser noise.

Later I discovered the culprit of this noise was the fluorescent bulbs of my room. The magnetic pick ups are quiet when i play without switching on those fluorescent bulbs. I will be replacing them with LED bulbs and see if it helps. Ceiling fan contributes very minor noise in my case.

You will have to experience yourself to first switch on all electrical / electronics appliances in your room (or wherever you play your guitar), switch off 1 appliance at a time until you found the culprit. 

Good luck!