Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix alternative bag solution

Paolo_Maina

When i bought helix 6 months ago I need a bag immediately I couldn't waiting for the original one so i became like MacGyver I went to the keyboards section of the store to find a solution and I found a novation back pack that fit very well.

So if the original bag it yet unavailable in your country the solution exist and it's considerably cheaper.

The quality is pretty good.

post-2300037-0-16150900-1464640407_thumb.jpg

That Novation one looks great. I am receiving the official Helix backpack today but now wondering if that Novation might have been a better option, so still return possibility. 

@Paolo, if it isn't too much trouble, whenever you are next transporting the Helix in that case would you take a pic once the unit is in the case, would love to see how the fit is

That Novation one looks great. I am receiving the official Helix backpack today but now wondering if that Novation might have been a better option, so still return possibility.

@Paolo, if it isn't too much trouble, whenever you are next transporting the Helix in that case would you take a pic once the unit is in the case, would love to see how the fit is

The fit is perfect like it is made for it.

The first couple of times it seems a little too tight but then becomes perfect.

The bag will loosen a little

I've paid about 50 euros for the bag in italy

post-2300037-0-24393400-1464807183_thumb.jpg

post-2300037-0-79166600-1464807727_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just ordered the Novation - thanks for the tip!

Usually when my bands play, the Helix is in one of the several trunks that I use - but to just grab and go, it looks perfect.  I'm hoping there will be enough room in a pocket for the two Line6 expression pedals velcro'd to my main pedalboard. Them, and a few cables, and I'm good to go for jammin' or a "sit in" where I don't need the big board.  Helix on my back, Alto in one hand and Gtr in the other - and I'm rockin'......

I've been using my Pedaltrain PT-2 bag. It's a little big, but a pretty good fit. I just ordered a bag off of Ebay that is coming from Romania, (Lord help me!).

I wouldn't have taken the chance, but someone on TGP vouched for the guy and says they are very good quality. It's half the price of the Helix bag, even with shipping.

So - just received the Novation backpack.  First impression, it'll do the job nicely for light-duty carrying around. The Helix fits snugly, enough so that getting the zippers to close is a wee bit tight - I'm sure it will loosen up a bit over time, but there's a redundancy, in addition to the zippers there's a heavy-duty velcro'd flap that closes over that compartment.

PLENTY of room for a couple L6 expression pedals, a velcro'd board to hold them, and plenty of cables. 

It's not gonna sit at the bottom of a pile of gear, but as mentioned above I really only need/want it for quickies where I don't feel the need to drag the whole pedal board around.  Like I said - Helix on my back, an Alto in one hand and guitar in the other.  It will do the job very nicely for that...

One note - there seem to be a few variants on this bag, so check carefully before ordering.  The one pictured by the OP is the correct one.....

Paola and Ricstudio - can you confirm the size of the Novation Gig bag.  

Is it the smaller 25key version?  Rather than the 49 key version?

It's not the one called "Laptop bag" is it - as that is too small for Helix (Exterior: 460mm x 295mm x 110mm (18.1" x 11.6" x 4.3")

Paola and Ricstudio - can you confirm the size of the Novation Gig bag.

Is it the smaller 25key version? Rather than the 49 key version?

It's not the one called "Laptop bag" is it - as that is too small for Helix (Exterior: 460mm x 295mm x 110mm (18.1" x 11.6" x 4.3")

Watch the photo I posted, when I took the pic, inside there was Helix.

When I bought the bag I found it in the shop at the same time I bought helix.

So I never ordered it and there's no label with model specification on the bag.

I've watched all pics on the web and I'm pretty sure mine is the 25 keys model.

Watch the photo I posted, when I took the pic, inside there was Helix.

When I bought the bag I found it in the shop at the same time I bought helix.

So I never ordered it and there's no label with model specification on the bag.

I've watched all pics on the web and I'm pretty sure mine is the 25 keys model.

Thanks! I'll order the 25 key version and hope for the best.  It's only £33 including postage.  A bargain :)

Thanks! I'll order the 25 key version and hope for the best. It's only £33 including postage. A bargain :)

Take a look at this older topic...same bag.

http://line6.com/support/topic/16482-bag-for-helix/

And the most helpful review in this page

https://www.amazon.ca/Novation-25-Backpack-Style-Controller-Keyboards/dp/B006KEILD8

The exit of Great Britain  from europe union.

Here the press calls it Brexit  = British exit.

Aha - I see - you gotta love the press and their tacky slogans for things.

A little bit of politics eh?  (not sure if politics is allowed on here.. ) Well seeing as Britain helped write most of the European policies and charters after WW2 it seems odd to me that people would want to leave.   I think the press is doing it's classic tactics of trying to blame foreigners for the problems in the world when it's all really down to the banks, corruption and corporate greed.

Ignoring all that.. looking forward to my new bag :)

I got my bag today that I had ordered off of Ebay. I thought it was coming from Romania, but it was actually Bulgaria. Regardless, it's a very nice bag, well made with felt lining and a perfect fit for my Helix. I'm real happy with it. It took two weeks to get here, and I couldn't track the shipment, because I guess the BPS doesn't have that capability. So there was a bit of blind faith involved. It was about $75 including shipping, so a pretty good deal.

Was really on the fence about ordering the official bag given the price. And all but ready to jump off the fence when it arrived and wasn't an easy fit for the unit. But a few days in, the material has 'de-factoried' to fit the Helix really well (and pro tip, put the Helix into the bag pedal side first, big difference in ease of access) and I'm really happy. Besides the quality of the material and the zip lining (super heavy duty, that's be the first thing to go) the shoulder straps are also serious construction so minimal anxiety on that front

• Upvote 1

I just purchased a Helix and required something simple to carry it in.

It will carry the Helix, G-50, and one pedal inside.

Very light and maneuverable in the hand.

Some extra foam padding is recommended for a tight fit.

SKB DJ/Keyboard Controller Soft Case

Model: 1SKB-SC2714

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=825&o=&c=102&s=

PhotoNov2294857AM.jpg

I have the Line 6 backpack on order, but if I were to be looking for a cheaper alternative, I would buy another SKB like the one Fulcrum linked to.
I have one for my HD500 I've been using for a couple 3 years now, and it's great.
The attached pocket came unstitched after a year of over-stuffing it. LOL!
Still using it and loving it, until my Helix makes it in from Siberia,.JK...

Ones that seem best to me, sight unseen, are these:

Gator G-MULTIFX-2411 - 24"x11" Effects Pedal Bag     $60 @ SW
SKB DJ/Keyboard Controller Soft Case Model: 1SKB-SC2714     $90 @ SW
Line 6 Helix Backpack     $150 @ SW

The backpack looks great, but I don't know that I feel great spending that much on it, especially since it's still not something you can throw in the back of a truck or check as baggage.

Gator has a great rep, and theirs is cheaper than the SKB, so that seems like the best shot to me.

Comments?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...