Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good (tube)amp for HD500x 4CM (low wattage; max 15/20 watt)

nicjw

Hello

I'm a guitarplayer in a worshipband (in the style of U2, Hillsong, Jesus Culture). At the time, i'm using my HD500x with a Line6 L2M speaker. I would like to replace the L2M with an amp and use the HD500x in 4 cable mode. Id like to have an amp i can adjust on the fly. I doesnt have to be an tubeamp, just an amp who takes the HD500x well. Pricerange: €800 max (around $800)

Please keep the suggestions comming!

Join the cult of the DT barring some issues I and others have had, I'd say it's a pretty solid hybrid amp.  It literally IS the best of both worlds and is as close to best bang for the buck you can get, unless you're going to cash out $1500 for a Helix or 2k+ for an Axe FX

Oh no I'm not saying they're bad amps at all! I just said the issue I had? And a few I've seen here.

I should have worded it better, I was meaning that they are solid amps and sound great with only a few people having issues. I meant it as a good thing talking about the high quality of them, sorry if I confused you all.

They are wonderful and I love my replacement one. (Good old refund and got one on clearance at GC for hundreds less) it's a beautiful amp with great tone

The DT 25 sounds very interesting. Do you use it with an HD500(x).

Most of the time i use my HD500x with a L2m speaker. What bothers me the most is that with some of the amp models i have to use very strange amp setting to get a decent sound; for example: bass en treble all the way down; mid all the way up, présence all the way up... It just doest feel like an amp and adjusting settings during a gigg; Lets not discuss that...

But i am a great fan of the HD500x because of the sound en the nearly endless options. Do any of my issues sound familiar to you? I hope not because in that case the DT25 may be a winner

The DT 25 sounds very interesting. Do you use it with an HD500(x).

Most of the time i use my HD500x with a L2m speaker. What bothers me the most is that with some of the amp models i have to use very strange amp setting to get a decent sound; for example: bass en treble all the way down; mid all the way up, présence all the way up... It just doest feel like an amp and adjusting settings during a gigg; Lets not discuss that...

But i am a great fan of the HD500x because of the sound en the nearly endless options. Do any of my issues sound familiar to you? I hope not because in that case the DT25 may be a winner

The issues seem to be with audio balancing if I'm reading the statement right.   But the DT25 and POD500x are amazing together, I never have to make those weird adjustments unless I use an external speaker or my laptop.  After 4 hours of tweaking I have 4 good patches, oh man it takes time! but it's SO worth it.  that being said, even without a regular patch, just flipping buttons and knobs plays nice with the DT line, and it sounds natural too!

Vox + POD = Never a good combo in my experience. Vox amps are just to Trebly and chimey for it. At least my AC4 was. And my Valvetronix. Anyway you'll love the DT. Even without a Pod it's one of the best sounding amps for the money I've ever played on. I've used Blackstar, Vox, a Marshall at 1 point, and Orange amps. The DT fits the tube and modelling role flawlessly for me. Even has some creamy distortion right out of the box. And It plays nice with my Telecaster, something many tube amps don't wanna do without noise.

My replacement looks like it's been through hell XD but with the new tubes and speaker in it, it's going great! Just be careful in low power mode, the low E string on amps 1 and 3 sounds like farting if your using some high output pickups, I thought it was a defect but ever amp I've played in the DT line (3 or 4 total now) does it, has something to do with the mode itself. Regular buckers and singles are great though. Oh.....and it does metal, really REALLY well. Better than the mesa rectoverb line and with the Pod just can't be beat (except maybe by the Helix) Enjoy your new amp!

• Upvote 2

Can you keep us updated on your findings, johnfrancis? I'm about te order one myself; the 112 Combo, 25 watt.

The amp is nice. Plugged in directly, it has some really nice warm tube sounds. Going through the POD HD500X was initially problematic. I had bought an AES/ABU cable (not the Line 6 one) and it was awful via the LINK connection - crackles, sound drop out, hiss, you name it. I substituted a regular XLR cable and it seemed OK. Not sure if the sound is the best it can be, so I am waiting on the Line 6 cable to arrive next week. I am now working on modifying the patches I had already created for the DT25.