Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix USB interface - latency problems

lokimoto

Hello guys.

I do not use USB recording so often, but when I tried yesterday Everything hooked up perfectly and Windows 7 recognized everything. All set!

I used the software Audacity, whiuch is very simple to use just to be able to 'hear' the sound coming from Helix.

But there was the problem: If I pickd a string, I didnot hear it immediately ... just about 0.5sec later, which is really disturbing!

Anyway, anyone here had similar issue? 

Any tip is highly welcome!

Cheers

Leo

Hi Leo,

You need to look at your buffer settings on your PC.  Try and get as low a buffer as possible - this will reduce the latency to minimum.  On my system it defaulted to 128 samples - giving a latency of just 5 milli seconds.  People say we can't hear below about 20ms but you sure can start to feel it by then.

Good Luck!

Rick

Hi Leo,

You need to look at your buffer settings on your PC.  Try and get as low a buffer as possible - this will reduce the latency to minimum.  On my system it defaulted to 128 samples - giving a latency of just 5 milli seconds.  People say we can't hear below about 20ms but you sure can start to feel it by then.

Good Luck!

Rick

Thanks for the tip Rick!

I will try it tonight!

Leo

Yup, latency is entirely down to your PCs processor and some fine tuning on the buffer side should do it. It's all about finding the balance where the response time is low enough, but the CPU doesn't thrash causing pops and clicks in your recording. Once you get it though it's definitely set and forget.

I will say I've used the Helix on a number of computers and zero noticeable latency, just saying that to alleviate that horrible 'I have a $1500 that doesn't work when connected to a computer' feeling

Hello guys.

I do not use USB recording so often, but when I tried yesterday Everything hooked up perfectly and Windows 7 recognized everything. All set!

I used the software Audacity, whiuch is very simple to use just to be able to 'hear' the sound coming from Helix.

But there was the problem: If I pickd a string, I didnot hear it immediately ... just about 0.5sec later, which is really disturbing!

Anyway, anyone here had similar issue? 

Any tip is highly welcome!

Cheers

Leo

It sounds like you're monitoring through your DAW as opposed to through the Helix itself. If you monitor through the Helix, there should be no latency.

Additionally, due to licensing restrictions the normally available releases of Audacity do not have ASIO support. You either have to dig around online or compile one yourself, so it's possible the OP does not have the option to use ASIO.