Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to create a bank with different configurations

PearlyGates59

Hi everyone, I'm using my new POD HD500X with a Cornford Carrera connected 4 cable method.

I want to create a bank where I can toggle from a patch or patches where I'm using an FX block and my tube pre from the amp.

Then kick to the next patch where I'm using a POD pre and just using the power amp section of the Cornford.

Then kick to the next patch where I bypass the tube amp and output to my PA, for an acoustic sound.

I have not been able to figure out how to select the proper output mode. When I am using the pre from my amp I'm thinking my

output setup should be combo front or stack front. When I'm using the pod pre I think I should use combo power or stack power.

Those seem like global settings to me, can't figure out how to make them change patch to patch.

Also can't figure out how to mute the tube amp and use the PA for an acoustic patch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PearlyGates59, on 31 May 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

I have not been able to figure out how to select the proper output mode. When I am using the pre from my amp I'm thinking my

output setup should be combo front or stack front. When I'm using the pod pre I think I should use combo power or stack power.

Those seem like global settings to me, can't figure out how to make them change patch to patch.

They are global settings, so you can't have a different output mode from patch to patch.

"Combo/front" and "stack/front" modes assume that you're plugging straight into the front end of an amp with no FX loop. If you're running 4CM, you're not doing that, so you probably don't want either of those modes. Try combo/power or stack/power.

That being said, all the output modes are just different EQ curves anyway. Use whatever sounds best to you. There really is no "right" way to do it. Every rig is different.

They are global settings, so you can't have a different output mode from patch to patch.

"Combo/front" and "stack/front" modes assume that you're plugging straight into the front end of an amp with no FX loop. If you're running 4CM, you're not doing that, so you probably don't want either of those modes. Try combo/power or stack/power.

Thanks for the reply. 

Here is what I can already do using the 4 cable method:

1) I can set up a patch with out a modeled amp or pre-amp and just use the POD as a stomp box substitute.

I have some effects  running into  my pre-amp like distortion etc. I have some effects in my loop hitting only the power-amp through the return. In this mode my knobs on the Cornford still work. I can adjust gain, tone and volume.

2) I can set up a patch with a pre-amp model, like a blackface for instance and an FX block. Now I'm by-passing the pre-amp on the Cornford. I have confirmed this by trying to adjust the gain and tone stack knobs - no effect, they are bypassed at this point.

So, example 1, I'm putting signal into the pre-amp and the power amp. Example 2 I'm putting signal into the power-amp only.

If I'm only putting signal into the power-amp there is no need for the cable that goes into the front of the amp. All I would need it the cables in the FX loop.

This is why I think I should be able to select the output configuration by patch, not be locked into 1 mode. 

If I'm only putting signal into the power-amp there is no need for the cable that goes into the front of the amp. All I would need it the cables in the FX loop.

This is why I think I should be able to select the output configuration by patch, not be locked into 1 mode.

You can analyze/rationalize it any way you like, but the output mode is global. It is what it is.

Like I said, the output modes are nothing more than EQ curves applied to optimize the sound for one connection method vs. another. The POD neither knows nor cares what routing method you're using.

The whole point of the 4 CM is to allow use of either models, or your amp for your basic tone. If you're ONLY using amp models and the FX loop to "slave" the amp for power, then the 4CM is pointless...just go straight to the FX return. But, then you lose the ability to get your tone from the amp. You have to decide what's more important to you...being able to use the amp for your tone, or relying on the modeled amps and using the amp only for power, because either way, you're stuck with one global output mode and you tweak your patches accordingly.

It's a modeler...use the models. Forget the amp for tone. Less set-up time, fewer cables, less fuss.

• Upvote 1

Im not an expert at the 4CM but I tried it out for the first time this weekend. I had zero problems.

You need to use the effects loop block if you want to use the preamp from your physical amp, but when you turn it off, you're only getting signal from your power amp, so you can use the amp block and select a modeled preamp. if you place the effects Loop before the amp block, you can assign them both to a foot switch to toggle them on and off and you can go between your amps sound and the modeled amp sound. This would be a good way to go from clean to mean without changing presets.

I did this in stack/poweramp output mode.

Thanks everyone for the input!

When the answer is "that's just the way it is" that's ok with me.

It just seems odd to me that Line 6 would build all of this versatility in to this system and then

limit our ability to change the output mode.