Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mags/piezo at same time?

BuckeyeTodd

Is it possible to have both the mags and piezo both going through my Helix ? I have a PRS with the LR Baggs piezo bridge, and I'm curious if it's possible since each has it's own output jack. If it is possible , can both be active at the same time? 

Is it possible to have both the mags and piezo both going through my Helix ? I have a PRS with the LR Baggs piezo bridge, and I'm curious if it's possible since each has it's own output jack. If it is possible , can both be active at the same time? 

Sure, connect the mags to the "Guitar" input and the Piezos to the "Aux" input. They can both be active or you can have presets where only one or the other is active.

Sure, connect the mags to the "Guitar" input and the Piezos to the "Aux" input. They can both be active or you can have presets where only one or the other is active.

I have a PRS P22 with the same LR Baggs piezo bridge, and I wouldn't recommend this approach.  I found that the high impedance (10M) of the aux input makes the piezo sound dull and lacking in dynamics.  A much better solution (I have found) is to use one of the return inputs as these have a lower impedance.  Simple create a new path (either split on DSP 1 or using DSP 2) and assign the input for this path to be one of the 4 return inputs, making sure to connect the cable to the right one ;-)

I found that using the return input allowed me to get a great tone without using multiple gain/pre-amp/EQ blocks to "fix" the tone.

I have a PRS P22 with the same LR Baggs piezo bridge, and I wouldn't recommend this approach.  I found that the high impedance (10M) of the aux input makes the piezo sound dull and lacking in dynamics.  A much better solution (I have found) is to use one of the return inputs as these have a lower impedance.  Simple create a new path (either split on DSP 1 or using DSP 2) and assign the input for this path to be one of the 4 return inputs, making sure to connect the cable to the right one ;-)

I found that using the return input allowed me to get a great tone without using multiple gain/pre-amp/EQ blocks to "fix" the tone.

Looks like you have a fellow forum member with the same guitar who has an alternate solution. Surprised to hear the Aux input is an issue with the PRS however as I have used it with no issues with my acoustic guitars with piezos.  I have not found the sound to be dull or lacking in dynamics. I will have to try my acoustic guitars through a return input to see if the sound quality is improved.  Do you know what the impedance on the return inputs is?

The LR Baggs Venue preamp is also a 10M input (same as the Aux input on the Helix). You would assume their preamp would be matched to their pickups and the Helix "Aux" input's exact impedance match to the LR Baggs preamp would be ideal. Here is a quote from a page discussing proper impedance for piezo transducers. The 10M rating for the Aux input would be at the top of the range recommended for piezos according to this page.

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/11-PREAMPS_DO_YOU_NEED_A_PREAMP_WITH_YOUR_URB_PICKUP.html

• Ultra High Impedance: Piezo transducers sound best when their input load is within the 1-10 million+ ohms (1-10 megohms) range.
  • Upvote 1

It's glorious. I've been doing 2-voice guitar for about a decade and a half, and for the past 8 or 10 years I never play a guitar that doesn't have a piezo ready to go.

Yes, DO use a return input for your faux acoustic sound and use one of the free acoustic IRs out there. It works best imho, whether your piezo has a preamp or not (my electrics have no preamp, my Crowdster Plus 2 has one - both sound great this way).

There are a bunch of examples in this article of mine, including video samples.

Here's a video tease (this video is in the above article). The patch I use is linked in the article above, as are links to IRs. I just made more IRs from Mama Bear. Look for a topic on this board called "New Acoustic Guitar IRs from Mama Bear" soon.

It's glorious. I've been doing 2-voice guitar for about a decade and a half, and for the past 8 or 10 years I never play a guitar that doesn't have a piezo ready to go.

Yes, DO use a return input for your faux acoustic sound and use one of the free acoustic IRs out there. It works best imho, whether your piezo has a preamp or not (my electrics have no preamp, my Crowdster Plus 2 has one - both sound great this way).

There are a bunch of examples in this article of mine, including video samples.

Here's a video tease (this video is in the above article). The patch I use is linked in the article above, as are links to IRs. I just made more IRs from Mama Bear. Look for a topic on this board called "New Acoustic Guitar IRs from Mama Bear" soon.

I have 3 PRS that all have piezo bridges in them. I am the only guitar in our group, and having the ability to intro with acoustics and have both active at the same time helps fill out the sound. I watched your videos, and I am definitely going to try your setup....if I can get a grip on how to set it up.

I have 3 PRS that all have piezo bridges in them. I am the only guitar in our group, and having the ability to intro with acoustics and have both active at the same time helps fill out the sound. I watched your videos, and I am definitely going to try your setup....if I can get a grip on how to set it up.

Let me know any way I can help out.

• 1 year later...

I sent you a PM, thanks!

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a P24. so...how's it going a year later? Any updates I need to know about? I am going to work on this over the weekend.

I was also thinking of plugging the Piezo jack straight into the L2t acoustic input in back. Ever try this?

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a P24. so...how's it going a year later? Any updates I need to know about? I am going to work on this over the weekend.

I was also thinking of plugging the Piezo jack straight into the L2t acoustic input in back. Ever try this?

I use both methods now. I have one piezo signal going through the Helix, and another guitar going straight into the L2t. Both sound great, of course you have far more options going into the Helix.

• Upvote 1

I use both methods now. I have one piezo signal going through the Helix, and another guitar going straight into the L2t. Both sound great, of course you have far more options going into the Helix.

Thank you very much

The LR Baggs Venue preamp is also a 10M input (same as the Aux input on the Helix). You would assume their preamp would be matched to their pickups and the Helix "Aux" input's exact impedance match to the LR Baggs preamp would be ideal. Here is a quote from a page discussing proper impedance for piezo transducers. The 10M rating for the Aux input would be at the top of the range recommended for piezos according to this page.

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/11-PREAMPS_DO_YOU_NEED_A_PREAMP_WITH_YOUR_URB_PICKUP.html

• Ultra High Impedance: Piezo transducers sound best when their input load is within the 1-10 million+ ohms (1-10 megohms) range.
The Helix AUX input is 10k Ohms, not 10M

Here's a post from DI explaining why there might be some confusion:

The Aux In is 10k Ohm (yes, the Helix floor's manual has a typo), which is closer to line level than instrument level. The four FX returns can be set to instrument or line level.

I use a Music Man Majesty with Guitar in for Electric Pick-ups, return one for piezo and built several patches based on Pater Hamms video above. I use a hummingbird IR and its glorious - literally can switch from super clean acoustic to whatever level of electric crunch at the switch of a button...beautiful stuff!

The Helix AUX input is 10k Ohms, not 10M

Here's a post from DI explaining why there might be some confusion:

Yep, an important historical note for anyone reading through old posts. The old manual had an error. It is corrected in the Rev D. version of the manual.

Excerpt from Helix manual Rev.B:

"21. AUX IN (10MΩ) Connect a secondary, active-pickup equipped guitar or bass here. "

Excerpt from Helix manual Rev.D:

"21. AUX IN (10kΩ) Connect a secondary, active-pickup equipped guitar or bass here. "