Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

•••New Acoustic Guitar IRs from Mama Bear•••

PeterHamm

Attention all you two-voice-at-the-same-time-junkies.

Here are some alternatives for you. They are derived from Mama Bear. I used Logic Pro's Impulse Response Utility, they are all 32-bit (recorded at 24 and converted) 48K (recorded that way NOT converted) 2048 (a couple are 2047 or 2046, they work the same, it's just really hard to crop exactly 2048 in that clunky program) IRs. All of them work in Helix. I tested them.

Here's the thing. Mama Bear makes you not only choose the model, but the input device. I chose the setting that matched my PowerBridge, with EQ flat, captured all the IRs 100% wet (of course), and named them in a manner that should make total sense (ros means rosewood, mah means mahogany, etc. let me know if you can't figure the name of one of them or just download the Mama Bear manual). The number at the front is the number of the model in that manual.

A few really cool and different ones are the Gypsy Jazz, Archtop Jazz and resonator models. Very surprising.

What surprises me even more is that even though they were made with the "wrong" input selected for a "real" acoustic guitar, they seem to work great in that way! I tried some with my Crowdster and they worked really well. More subtle, I think, than the Fishman Aura ones floating around, and you may like those Fishman ones better (for certain things I think I still do). 

I will make a sample video when I can, and will probably capture another set with the under-saddle input circuitry selected to see if it works better with acoustic guitars.

I attached a zip file if you want as well. same files as the link above.

2 things.

1. Let me know what you think and if they are useful and 

2. post a ridiculously overstated compliment right here if you download them. Something like "Peter Hamm is the most amazing human that has ever lived and I want to be like him when I grow up", you know... something like that to make me feel good about myself.

Here's the link again. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5YMP7cdVF-LTWE5TkFrb0ZTUGc?resourcekey=0-aHwTzPqpm6djoyONpGhDNw&usp=sharing

• Upvote 9

Attention all you two-voice-at-the-same-time-junkies.

Here are some alternatives for you. They are derived from Mama Bear. I used Logic Pro's Impulse Response Utility, they are all 32-bit (recorded at 24 and converted) 48K (recorded that way NOT converted) 2048 (a couple are 2047 or 2046, they work the same, it's just really hard to crop exactly 2048 in that clunky program) IRs. All of them work in Helix. I tested them.

Here's the thing. Mama Bear makes you not only choose the model, but the input device. I chose the setting that matched my PowerBridge, with EQ flat, captured all the IRs 100% wet (of course), and named them in a manner that should make total sense (ros means rosewood, mah means mahogany, etc. let me know if you can't figure the name of one of them or just download the Mama Bear manual). The number at the front is the number of the model in that manual.

A few really cool and different ones are the Gypsy Jazz, Archtop Jazz and resonator models. Very surprising.

What surprises me even more is that even though they were made with the "wrong" input selected for a "real" acoustic guitar, they seem to work great in that way! I tried some with my Crowdster and they worked really well. More subtle, I think, than the Fishman Aura ones floating around, and you may like those Fishman ones better (for certain things I think I still do). 

I will make a sample video when I can, and will probably capture another set with the under-saddle input circuitry selected to see if it works better with acoustic guitars.

I attached a zip file if you want as well. same files as the link above.

2 things.

1. Let me know what you think and if they are useful and 

2. post a ridiculously overstated compliment right here if you download them. Something like "Peter Hamm is the most amazing human that has ever lived and I want to be like him when I grow up", you know... something like that to make me feel good about myself.

Great stuff, thanks! If you feel so inclined it would be great if you could post them on the topic below as well. Trying to keep all the free IRs consolidated until ideally we get a permanent repository on the HelixHelp.com site or a pinned "Free IR" topic. Thanks!

http://line6.com/support/topic/17076-links-for-free-impulse-responses-ir-here/?hl=free+impulse+response

Your a good man Peter Hamm! I just downloaded the Taylor and Fishman IRs last night to try out with my Godin and PRS (both Piezo equipped) and it looks like I'll be grabbing these when I get home tonight. Between all of this and the 3 Sigma IRs I just purchased, I can't wait to start seeing how my patches change and hopefully improve.

Great stuff, thanks! If you feel so inclined it would be great if you could post them on the topic below as well. Trying to keep all the free IRs consolidated until ideally we get a permanent repository on the HelixHelp.com site or a pinned "Free IR" topic. Thanks!

http://line6.com/support/topic/17076-links-for-free-impulse-responses-ir-here/?hl=free+impulse+response

Done.

Thank you for these!   I look forward to trying these!

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible for you to make using this same setup, an Acoustic IR with the intended input source an non-piezo-equipped electric guitar?  So we could use any electric guitar and get acoustic tones?

Many thanks again!

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible for you to make using this same setup, an Acoustic IR with the intended input source an non-piezo-equipped electric guitar?  So we could use any electric guitar and get acoustic tones?

Many thanks again!

Check out Glenn de Laune's latest patches

Many thanks again!

No such possibility with Mama Bear. There are several input profiles, but none of them are "none" or designed to do what you are asking. All the others are designed for some kind of acoustic guitar pickup of some sort. I AM going to make a set with the acoustic pickup profile most likely to work with acoustic guitars, but judging from what I heard today, I don't know how much better they will be.

SOME people have had success with IRs like these ones with regular electric pickups, but if you are serious about this, you want a PowerBridge

• Upvote 1

Many thanks again!

Actually... I just got home, and looked at Mama Bear again. There IS an input setting based on a magnetic soundhole pickup. It might not be perfect, but it might be much much closer and maybe close enough to do what you want. I will try and make some for you when I can.

• Upvote 1

In the spirit of your initial post, Peter......

PeterHamm is the single most incredible person alive on the planet today and because I am older than him I will never be like him when I grow up.

Seriously though I have just tried a couple of these with my Variax. The parlour IR with the Martin O-18 model and the rosewood dreadnaught IR with the Martin D-28 model. Both sound really good.

• Upvote 1

UPDATED! There are now 3 zip files in there, using 3 different input profiles on Mama Bear.

a group with an input profile for an under-saddle piezo for an acoustic. 1xx_Dtar_type of guitar_ir

a group with an input profile for a Fishman PowerBridge. bxx_Dtar_type of guitar_ir

a group with an input profile that is neutral. Note that the neutral IR is what appears to be a very very simple waveform. Is that good? I don't know. Also, these are 2048 sample IRs and I have a feeling they will work best that way. nxx_Dtar_type of guitar_ir

Also, they are pretty quiet (I have a feeling some of the others we've seen are somewhat compressed, these are not. You'll probably want to increase your IR volume from -18 to perhaps -12 or even higher.

I hope you like them. I don't even know if I like them yet, but I hope some of you do. So far I think these are less "natural sounding" but possibly much much better in a LIVE mix, as they seem to bite and cut through, even without a lot of added EQ. I suspect that whatever is going on in Mama Bear is not so much an IR as a sophisticated EQ curve. The "neutral" profiles are completely useless to me, but if you find a way to make them work, let us all know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YMP7cdVF-LTWE5TkFrb0ZTUGc

I'm a little new to this whole IR thing.  Are you saying that you have an IR for say "Gypsy Guitar" and when it's loaded/active the variax sounds like the gypsy guitar?  The reason I ask is this seems to me I could consolidate my variax 700 acoustic sounds with my 69s.  Anybody have any sound samples?

I'm a little new to this whole IR thing.  Are you saying that you have an IR for say "Gypsy Guitar" and when it's loaded/active the variax sounds like the gypsy guitar?  The reason I ask is this seems to me I could consolidate my variax 700 acoustic sounds with my 69s.  Anybody have any sound samples?

Not sure, though, that these work very well with Variax models. I'd use the "neutral" ones I posted if you're interested.

I have a Variax, but I'm trying to get to the point of a patch sounding like an acoustic with any electric.  Combing EQ and IR's, I've got 'in-the-ballpark'.  I'll try record a snippet of the 'Gypsy' in the next couple of days.  What is a good website to host audio for free?

I have a Variax, but I'm trying to get to the point of a patch sounding like an acoustic with any electric. Combing EQ and IR's, I've got 'in-the-ballpark'. I'll try record a snippet of the 'Gypsy' in the next couple of days. What is a good website to host audio for free?

A lot of people seem to use Soundcloud although it is not free. You could upload it to Youtube for free.

I also have been working on trying to get a great Variax acoustic patch. I think it will probably look significantly different in a month. I am using the Variax 1959 Martin D-28 model with the Jazz Rivet amp (amp only, no cab) to good effect with the drive way down, cut mids, the bass and treble slightly above 5, and a bit of presence and bright dialed in . I have a couple of acoustic IRs to choose from in the signal chain (not PeterHamm's, looking forward to trying them) but I often get a better sound without them. I have been experimenting with the delay and reverb. I chose a very short delay time with lots of repeats (feedback 50%). I use two different kinds of reverb in parallel, I found adding a second reverb vastly improved the acoustic sound. I may do the same thing with a second delay. I chose room & hall reverbs with little to no predelay (sound bounces off the inside of a real acoustic guitar rapidly after the string is strummed), high decay time, and raised the high cut way up in the reverbs to get more reflections on the high end. My objective is to emulate an acoustic guitar sound with the immediacy and complexity of the guitar string's sound bouncing around in an acoustic guitar body; that is why I think the delay and reverb settings are so critical. Getting a fairly good acoustic sound from the Variax now although as always I find it more convincing as an acoustic for finger picking than strumming. Still working on this preset and I may upload it to CustomTone when I am done but I am always self-conscious about my own presets and they may sound like crud for someone else. Hence the description above of what I am trying to achieve as it will inevitably be executed better by someone else.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...