Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Opinions on FX100 PLACEMENT

ramblnmn

Hello all,

I was wondering on some opinions about something I was thinking about...I own a FX100 pedal and was wondering if where to place it...meaning in front my amp or in my effects loop (not knowing if you can).

My thinking is (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the pre-amp section of a amp is pretty much the sound of that amp(which ever amp that is) and the power section just amplifies the sound.

So since the fx100 is an amp/pedal effect modeler would it be correct to put it the effects loop and use the power section to basically as a straight amp?

I've read that delay and reverb pedal should be in the effects loop and distortion, overdrive should be in front of the amp, so would using the fx100 be defeating that theory or not?

Hello all,

I was wondering on some opinions about something I was thinking about...I own a FX100 pedal and was wondering if where to place it...meaning in front my amp or in my effects loop (not knowing if you can).

My thinking is (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the pre-amp section of a amp is pretty much the sound of that amp(which ever amp that is) and the power section just amplifies the sound.

So since the fx100 is an amp/pedal effect modeler would it be correct to put it the effects loop and use the power section to basically as a straight amp?

I've read that delay and reverb pedal should be in the effects loop and distortion, overdrive should be in front of the amp, so would using the fx100 be defeating that theory or not?

Remember you will retain the personality of your amp if you use the effects loop. If you plug into the front end you will have all of the attributes your amp has but you will lose control of the signal chain. If you have the ability to use the 4-cable method as you do with Firehawk FX or Helix or Pod HD 500, you can have best of both worlds. You can choose the FX loop in the remote app almost like a stomp box, turn it on or off. Remember if you do use the FX loop, you'll probably want to select "No Cab" under the amp setting. Signal chain choices. That's another topic and up for debate!

Jim

To be honest I don't know about this 4 cable method....

I don't know if the FX 100 even has that capability, but you can read all about it in the Firehawk FX and Helix forums. There are also several YouTube videos that show it being demonstrated. I used it when I had a Firehawk FX outputting to a traditional Fender amp. It requires hours of tweaking to get a nice clean sound that utilizes the effects loop but ended up being a waste of all those nice modeled amps and cabs because I just preferred the sound of my own amp! I ditched the Firehawk and went back to a simple pedalboard and reliable pedals by Boss and Fulltone etc. for live gigs. I just use the Amplifi 75 for rehearsals, practice and noodling around with remote app. Too much time on my hands I guess! Haha.

Jim