Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just pulled the trigger on a new Helix...

Bushman2

I've been a HD500 user for 2-3 years, and just bought a Helix from MF and is on backorder for a couple weeks. (hopefully)

I really like the HD500's tone and versatility but...
I've sent my HD500 in for a footswitch replacement about a year ago, and now the same switch is out again.
I'll probably get it fixed and keep it for a backup in case the Helix has pus switches as well, but I'm hoping Line 6 has ditched the switches with the Helix.
I know they are touch/press capable, but I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts on the switches durability....
Thoughts / Observations?

Bought one from guitarguitar in UK on Sunday.  Not past listening to the presets yet - but first impression is that this is in a different league from HD500, both in sound and build quality.  Need to find time to build some patches soon.

Looks like some of you are in the same boat as I.....

Hopefully the new footswitches are bulletproof. Definitely a weak point for the HD500 series...
I'm really looking forward to the new gear, as I have kind of run the gamut in that department.

Started off with electric guitar and a Korg AX300G, which was awful, but refreshing after hearing a guy plug his guitar straight into the snake with an XLR/1/4" adapter, and make the 100 foot run to the mixing board......
It was razor thin tone, made me want to jam something in my ears.....
Then I went to a Digitech RP2000, which was way better than the Korg. (duh)
Then I dumped a lot of cash into tube amps and pedals, just to finally end up with a quieter stage requirement and an HD500.
I fought it for a long time, but became accustomed to a processor and in-ear monitoring.

So this is another step forward, I think...
...still have all my analog gear and amps tho.. ;)

I've been a HD500 user for 2-3 years, and just bought a Helix from MF and is on backorder for a couple weeks. (hopefully)

I really like the HD500's tone and versatility but...

I've sent my HD500 in for a footswitch replacement about a year ago, and now the same switch is out again.

I'll probably get it fixed and keep it for a backup in case the Helix has pus switches as well, but I'm hoping Line 6 has ditched the switches with the Helix.

I know they are touch/press capable, but I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts on the switches durability....

Thoughts / Observations?

You will love your new Helix, just a great piece of gear!  I am not totally confident in the switches yet as the first Helix I purchased had two switches that failed. To be fair it was one of the first ones to roll off the line. My retailer was great about it and got me a second one out immediately and it has had absolutely no switch problems. The Helix construction overall is incredibly high quality and Line6 tends to be very good about support so if it turns out that the switches are problematic across a wide swath of units (perish the thought) hopefully they will take care of you. Given the quality of most of the rest of the build you may never have to test that theory.

Congrats to new owners. I, too, just ordered my rack/floor combo. I have fellow gigging musicians who own the floor model and have chosen to sell their rigs... Aka...triple rec rig, Randall Satan rig...... and are using the Helix floor with a line 6 powered wedge.

I run a PRS Archon 100 with an Orange 212 with a footboard full of pedals.

Well, I, for one, am sick of tap dancing during shows... Hurry up fedex!

Now to research updates, etc.

Bumping the thread as of today I have pulled the trigger on a full Helix Rack, floor controller, mission expression, and cables. 

It should be shipping in about a week. I chose to delay the shipping so that it all ships in one shipment, instead of 2, or 3. Otherwise I would get it by this weekend.

I am super excited. 

The amp I think I am most excited to play with most is the Matchstick, or Matchless, using my Tagliare. But I am also really excited about what kind of heavy tones I can coax out of this baby.

Are all you guys still enjoying your Helix as I think you are?  :P

Are all you guys still enjoying your Helix as I think you are?  :P

The magic that happens when I play my guitar through Helix has not worn off yet for me. There are times when the magic isn't there, but when it's gone, I know at some point it will be back. I'd honestly say the same thing about the HD if I had never gotten Helix, but Helix provides a much more potent magic.

The magic that happens when I play my guitar through Helix has not worn off yet for me. There are times when the magic isn't there, but when it's gone, I know at some point it will be back. I'd honestly say the same thing about the HD if I had never gotten Helix, but Helix provides a much more potent magic.

Thats good to hear.

I am just so excited, so much has happened lately, or will soon.  

Just ordered my Helix. Gojira new album launching soon, I am going to see Devin Townsend LIVE in September, E3 is has some game announcements that I am really looking forward to.  Its gonna be hard to keep up while spending the time to actually write the music lol.  ;)

I'm always astonished at how quickly and easily my presets come together...and how great they sound.  It's a nice change from all the tweaking I had to do on the HD500X to get the sounds I wanted.  Every week it seems I learn a new trick the Helix has for me that let's me really explore new tones and effects.

but I'm hoping Line 6 has ditched the switches with the Helix.

Thoughts / Observations?

Ive had mine for about 3 months now (rack unit and controller) give or take a day or two, and Ive had no issues with my switches. Of course I'm not on the road with mine, and equipment does break. That said, they look to be durable to me at this point.

• Upvote 1