Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My G10 also not charging

george_007

So I just bought a Relay G10 today and ran into trouble right away.

Connected the base station to power and plugged in the transmitter to charge.

The base station halo pulses red and there is no light from the transmitter LED.

This is not how the manual says it should be. Does the transmitter even charge?

And how will I know when it's fully charged since the halo never changes in color?

It just keeps pulsing red. Had it on charge now for over three hours which should be

more than enough to get at least a flashing green LED on the transmitter (if that LED

was actually active during charging which the manual says it should be). However, no

light from the transmitter LED and the base station halo still pulses red.

From manual:

"Transmitter Details

Battery Status – This LED illuminates green when the transmitter is powered on,

and more than 30 minutes of operating time remain.

The LED flashes red when less than 30 minutes of operating time remain.

When the transmitter is plugged into the receiver for charging, a flashing red LED

indicates less than 30 minutes of battery operation, a flashing green LED indicates

more than 30 minutes of battery operation and a steady green LED indicates a fully

charged transmitter."

Is my G10 faulty and should be replaced?

I see others posting the exact same issue here on the forum.

• Upvote 1

As I responded to your post on another thread, leave the unit charging for around 4hrs, remove transmitter and the base unit halo should flash white until it connects with the transmitter, the transmitter will falsh green until it connects and then will stay green and not flash, unless it is getting low on charge.

Plug the fully charged transmitter back in the base station and the transmitter will flash green and the base unit will be a steady white.

Check out my clips on the other blog that you posted on.

:)

• Upvote 1

Interesting! I will try this then. Thanks! :-)

Though, still asking myself if this behaviour is intentional and if so, why it's not described in the manual.

Feels like a bug to me. 

Will it behave according to manual once I've done this, meaning is this a one off?

Just tried charging it again. It pulsed red just as before. Pulled out the transmitter once more and plugged it in again without connecting it to a guitar first.

All of a sudded the base station lights solid white and the transmitter LED flashes green. Very odd but it seems to be working now.

As I responded to your post on another thread, leave the unit charging for around 4hrs, remove transmitter and the base unit halo should flash white until it connects with the transmitter, the transmitter will falsh green until it connects and then will stay green and not flash, unless it is getting low on charge.

Plug the fully charged transmitter back in the base station and the transmitter will flash green and the base unit will be a steady white.

Check out my clips on the other blog that you posted on.

I have tried your approach and even if it got the unit to charge with correct LED lights once, the problem returns. Your videos show the same problem. I can only conclude that both your and mine unit are faulty and should be returned/replaced.

I used both my G10's last night and both at the same time for the first part of the show, soon as I plugged the transmitters into the base unit it flashed red to indicat charging, but within 20 mins they were both white to indicate fully charged. So both are working as per normal.

I used both my G10's last night and both at the same time for the first part of the show, soon as I plugged the transmitters into the base unit it flashed red to indicat charging, but within 20 mins they were both white to indicate fully charged. So both are working as per normal.

That is not correct behaviour. The base unit should show solid white and the TRANSMITTER should be flashing red or green. Flashing red means that less than 30 minutes of play time remains while flashing green means more than

30 minutes remains. When charging I completed the TRANSMITTER should show solid green.

If you think I am wrong show me where in the manual it describes the way your units behave.

Yes, the transmitter charges so it will work but the LED signals are incorrect and does not provide the information they should.

My G10 arrived today and everything's is working as expected and described in the manual. Only thing that was unexpected; The transmitter showed the stable green light after minutes, so I guess the plug was preloaded at the factory.

Tomorrow I will test the range of the device.

• 2 weeks later...

My G10 arrived today and everything's is working as expected and described in the manual. Only thing that was unexpected; The transmitter showed the stable green light after minutes, so I guess the plug was preloaded at the factory.

Tomorrow I will test the range of the device.

Mine was the same.  It only took a couple of minutes to show fully charged.  As for the range, I've been all over my 2,000 sq. ft. home without a single dropout.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

If you're having charging issues, please make sure you seat the transmitter completely into the receiver, otherwise the transmitter will not charge. For more details, see this article: Relay G10 FAQ

This is not the solution the EVERY charging issue man. I have used mine twice. Once to test and last week at rehearsal. Then yesterday , as I went to charge it. The base is solid white, but the transmitter blinks red and only red. I let it charge overnight and still the same thing. I took it to the garage, away from ALL wifi interference possibilities and still no charge. When I unplug transmitter, the base glows white indicating no signal response. I have updated firmware and tried EVERY recommended solution to no avail. I have a ticket open, 3 day wait is total BS by the way, so now I wait. So dang glad I found this before our next show. I feel the transmitter, as many are, is defective or contains a bad battery. Maybe you should start being a bit more helpful with your replies Line6Tony !! Ya think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem, even though the unit worked fine initially. For a variety of reasons, I hardly used it for 3 mos. so it is sadly out of the simple return period. 

I'll open a support ticket but until this is resolved I'll have to go back to my trusty shure - and this does make me leery of future failures. It's a shame because it seems pretty great at first, except for the problematic USB power connection, which others have already mentioned.

If line6 is reading this, I'll mention that the line6 updater I just tried does not have access to any firmware update (1.04 is referenced in the pinned notes).

• 4 months later...

Having the exact same issue, base and transmitter flashing in random fashion no matter how many times I re seat the transmitter into the base as the troubleshooter speaks of, I plug it into the guitar it's dead no response, I tried a different wall outlet, confirmed my usb cable is firmly placed into the cord as well as the back of the base, heck I even cleaned off the transmitter tip thinking who knows, although this is new, has only been used about 25 mins total the day I got it to test it out.

I have a email off to Sweetwater about it hoping my rep will take care of me, really bummed as this was my first night to come down stairs and play some guitar and I was excited to try it out on a few guitars yet all I get is the flashing red and a dead transmitter in hand despite putting it into the base firmly (the help thing just says it isn't inserted correctly) well I sure have seated it in there and double checked connections, all i get is both flashing randomly speed wise red in color.

I haven't opened a support ticket yet - I sure am hoping sweetwater just replaces it for me.

:(

Having the exact same issue, base and transmitter flashing in random fashion no matter how many times I re seat the transmitter into the base as the troubleshooter speaks of, I plug it into the guitar it's dead no response, I tried a different wall outlet, confirmed my usb cable is firmly placed into the cord as well as the back of the base, heck I even cleaned off the transmitter tip thinking who knows, although this is new, has only been used about 25 mins total the day I got it to test it out.

I have a email off to Sweetwater about it hoping my rep will take care of me, really bummed as this was my first night to come down stairs and play some guitar and I was excited to try it out on a few guitars yet all I get is the flashing red and a dead transmitter in hand despite putting it into the base firmly (the help thing just says it isn't inserted correctly) well I sure have seated it in there and double checked connections, all i get is both flashing randomly speed wise red in color.

I haven't opened a support ticket yet - I sure am hoping sweetwater just replaces it for me.

:(

You may check to see what firmware it has on it. There was a charging issue in older firmware revisions that can be fixed by updating. Sweetwater will take care of you either way. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I got the same problem: I did not use the device for some months, and yesterday I put the transmitter in charge all night long, but I had the receiver led on withe and the transmitter led flashing red. Discovered any way to solve the problem in the meanwhile or sohuld I ask the vendor to replace it?

I'm surprised to see that the G10 is still having problems after all these months. I tried 2 of them in September 2016 and October and they both went back to the seller. The G10 is a good idea but clearly there's something wrong with it.

tochiro, on 19 Apr 2017 - 1:33 PM, said:

I'm surprised to see that the G10 is still having problems after all these months. I tried 2 of them in September 2016 and October and they both went back to the seller. The G10 is a good idea but clearly there's something wrong with it.

Mine has worked flawlessly since I've had it (about 10 months now)... I'd venture to guess that most owners haven't had any problems.

I'd venture to say the contrary actually because a friend of mine who bought the G10 earlier this year had exactly the same problem I had and people have on this forum and the Web.  Statistically this has been the first time I read so many bad reviews on a product I bought.

I'd venture to say the contrary actually because a friend of mine who bought the G10 earlier this year had exactly the same problem I had and people have on this forum and the Web.  Statistically this has been the first time I read so many bad reviews on a product I bought.

No company will keep selling a product if a majority of the units are sold are defective, regardless of the hyperbole you read online. It's just not financially viable for companies to deal with continuous warranty claims.

It's not a question of "majority" and we both don't know the number of defective G10s.  It's a question of quality and reliability.  The online shop I bought my 2 G10s from told me they had only problems with it and they even suggested I should not buy a third one.  You can read on the Web many users complaining.

I already bought other L6 products (HD500, HD500X, SoudScape system, etc.) and they have a good value but the G10 does not fall in this category.  It's an excellent design idea but the product is not ready.

It's not a question of "majority" and we both don't know the number of defective G10s.  It's a question of quality and reliability.  The online shop I bought my 2 G10s from told me they had only problems with it and they even suggested I should not buy a third one.  You can read on the Web many users complaining.

I already bought other L6 products (HD500, HD500X, SoudScape system, etc.) and they have a good value but the G10 does not fall in this category.  It's an excellent design idea but the product is not ready.

Well, it's been available for sale for over a year now...

All I'm saying is anyone can have whatever opinion about a product they want. But only a relatively few people know the actual sales numbers and failure rates. I still believe that more people have had positive experiences than negative ones. If you look at the large online retailers' reviews, they're all solidly in the 4 to 4.5 star range.

I've had mine for a while now, play out once a week, and use it all the time at home. Zero issues. I treat it just like any of my other electronic devices, and it will last a long time. 

When people come to the forums for information about issues about their product, they are reading through a condensed set of example of issues. So if Line 6 has sold 10,000 units, you find 20-30 on the forum posting about how bad the product is, but you don't have the 9,970 posting about how there is nothing wrong with theirs. With EVERYTHING that is manufactured, there is a small percentage of failures. That is why manufacturers have a warranty and a return program from everything from a flashlight to an automobile. 

• 2 weeks later...

As of last night I have gone through (3) brand new G10 units. The last one had updated firmware and lasted the longest, 1 1/2 months. all of them died the same way. Started flashing red and then they stopped charging. I don't care about stats because my stats are 100% failure! I will open a new ticket and maybe receive a new G10 unit, (by the way Sweetwater has been great in replacing the last two G10's). The concept of the design is great, somewhere the ball was dropped on the execution. I use the G10 with active basses mostly in my studio. Have I just waisted $180.00?? Come on Line 6 get on top of this one.

They are just so darned easy to use, I'll deal with any issues that come up with mine. As long as they keep replacing under warranty, then I don't care. I spent $180 originally. If I go through 6 units, then I got a heck of a deal to get 6 brand new units for $180 (yes, that was a joke, for the most part). 

Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't. If mine fails and I don't want to return it, I'll do the 9VDC conversion and be done with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MY EXPERIENCE W/ THE "NOT CHARGING ISSUE AND HOW I FIXED IT":

I have a total of 7 active basses. Two of the basses are Sire Marcus Millers. I have been through a total of 4 G10T transmitters, all 3 of which have stopped charging over time. During the time I was using these 3 transmitters I narrowed the problem down to using my two Sire basses. There was something about these two basses that was killing the G10T transmitter. I took some time to dredge up some of my old Electronic Test Engineering skills and ran a couple of tests that proved that the two Sire basses were sending an 18.00 volt pulse across the guitars output jack whenever you plugged or unplugged your cable. So I took a couple of my other basses apart (Fender/Sadowsky, Carvin, MusicMan). What I found was with the other basses the Switchcraft jack that was installed had a separate battery voltage switch. On the Sire basses the same part was a cheaper component which sent the battery current through the jack while the plug is being inserted.

I researched and found the same Switchcraft (Digikey) part that was being used in the Carvin bass. (I will provide pictures and part numbers). I removed the old jack and installed the new one. This fixed the problem.

How to test:

Take a cable, and at one end put your voltmeter, then slide the other end of the cable slowly into the guitar. If at any point you see + or - volts on the meter, you need to change the jack to (Switchcraft Part # (TBD)).

Post your results.

I just bought two new units, one new and one is a "B-stock" (previous returned part), just plugged them in for the first time using my simple passive bass I have standing here.

First test was with the B-stock version, plugged the tranmitter in the receiver and the receiver keeps blinking red and the transmitter led is green.

Then checked the new G10, it is working immediatly green blinking LED on the transmitter and white light on the receiver, after plugging it into the bass it works (at first I hear soime drop outs like it is still finding a better channel, then it sounds OK).

When plugging the B-stock transmitter in the new receiver the behavior is the same as on the B-stock unit, new receiver in the b-stock receiver does work. So it looks like the B-stock transmitter is fried.

Might be that the previous owner also had a sire bass  :rolleyes:

I still have to check my other basses, but they are in our rehearsal room, so I can not check them now, they are all active basses...  (Dingwal, Hamer 12string, an EUB, and my self build fretless)

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Today I bought a line 6 G10, I updated to the latest firmware and charged it for over 4 hours, when I plug it in my guitar, it works for around 1 minute (together with the L6 spider V120)

when the transmitter is in my guitar, it first have a green LED, after +-1 minute it goes to red blinking and stops. When I plug the G10 into my spider V120, the spider V120 shows me on display that the battery is fully charged. Very dissapointing!!!

Please help me..

• 1 year later...

I purchased a new Relay G10 wireless system from Amazon back in May of 2021. It worked perfectly, and always lasted for between 6-7 hours per charge.

Early this week I was reminded online about that incredibly important firmware upgrade for the Relay series. Like a sheep, I downloaded their firmware

updater from the Line 6 website (only after clicking off a bright red, full page red WARNING graphic, telling me how important that firmware update was!).

So, I updated the Receiver and Transmitter expecting improvements. After rebooting them, I realized there was a big problem. The battery no longer

charges correctly, and after a full charge (3+ hours) the transmitter runs for between 1-5 minutes before turning red, dropping the connection, and the red

light going out completely.  I filed a ticket with Line 6, which they are ignoring. I was reminded that these products only have a 90 day warranty, my updating

the firmware is my problem, not theirs! They will gladly sell me their "new" improved Transmitter for $149.99 which they suggest (no guarantees) should

fix the problem. Or, I can send it in to Line 6 (on my dime) and they will gladly charge me an hourly rate to diagnose, and attempt to repair my Transmitter. 

So, in the end the product lasted 5 months and 12 days before I bricked it after installing their incredibly important firmware upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...