Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69s sounding a little jangly on the E again

So, I've noticed that my JTV is starting to sound weird again.

I was loving my guitar to death but something has been bothering me lately.

I'm getting this jangly overtone again on the fat E string and it's a bit overpowering. It's that phenomenon where the harmonic overtones overpower the root note you're playing, creating a droning sound.

It was displayed in this thread, if anyone wants to hear what it sounds like:

http://line6.com/support/topic/15282-jtv69-horrible-overtones-on-lowest-string-clip-included/

Is there anything I can do to reduce this? I tried lowering the volume in workbench, but that only disguises it when doing chords, and doesn't get rid of the problem.

I did change my string recently, could it be because I'm using a different string and the overtones became strong again in the process?

I use Elixirs on my guitar.

Could it be, that I'm honestly going to need a normal string on the E for now on so that the overtones die off eventually?

I've argued that this tone, IS a part of how guitar's sound, but when the mix between the root note and overtones is out of balance, it ruins the sound.

I THINK I can kind of hear it on the magnetics too, but it's nowhere near as much as the modeling. Spank and Lester are big offenders.

Like I said, I like it to be there a little bit, but when the honking sound is so loud to the point where you can hear it in palm muting in some amp settings, it's too strong.

This is one of the reasons I sent back my first replacement for a 3rd guitar, because I thought it was awkward sounding and wanted to make sure I got the perfect JTV. The one I got did sound somewhat the same, but I rolled with it, and eventually loved it.

Perhaps I started getting used to the old strings being on so the sound didn't come out as bad, and then switching a new E string threw me off?

I've tried to do A/B comparisons to recordings of before I noticed this, and it does seem like it's there, but it seems like it wasn't as bad, but then again, sometimes, it might be because I'm playing softer then?

Yes, the problem becomes more obvious the harder I pick the string.

So what's up? Any input?

I'm starting to think it's probably the new strings I'm using and they need to be broken in or something. but I'll see as the month goes by.

When I first got the guitar, it DID have the problem a bit, but I notice it waver in and out over time, once again, probably due to the strings.

There was a time when I had ddario's and Elixirs, so, maybe none coated strings would work best on my wound strings.

• 4 weeks later...