Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please Try This Little "experiment"

I get the weirdest out-of-tune anomaly from all of the 12 string models on my JTV-89.  I tune my guitar down a whole step (for singing purposes) and use the virtual capo for bringing it back up to standard pitch for some tunes.  I would appreciate it if you can try this and report here if you get a clashing tone.

Here's what to do:

1) Tune your "D" string down to a "C" (no need to tune down other strings)

2) Pluck the second fret of the "D" string and immediately pluck the "D" string open

If you hear the "clashing tones", pluck other frets on the "D" string, then open for different pitch clashes

I typically use the second position Rick 12, but I notice this will all 12 string models

Much appreciate it.

I get the weirdest out-of-tune anomaly from all of the 12 string models on my JTV-89.  I tune my guitar down a whole step (for singing purposes) and use the virtual capo for bringing it back up to standard pitch for some tunes.  I would appreciate it if you can try this and report here if you get a clashing tone.

Here's what to do:

1) Tune your "D" string down to a "C" (no need to tune down other strings)

2) Pluck the second fret of the "D" string and immediately pluck the "D" string open

If you hear the "clashing tones", pluck other frets on the "D" string, then open for different pitch clashes

I typically use the second position Rick 12, but I notice this will all 12 string models

Much appreciate it.

AHA!!! Yes, I normally tune down to D also for the same reasons you do and after updating to HD have the same problem with "clashing tones" on the 12 string electrics, haven't trie the 12 string acoustics as I only had a few minutes to play the guitar the day the update was announced. I believe it was the D string going haywire on my guitar also, tho I also have a bunch of crazy noise on the E that wasn't there before and is likely caused by slight fret buzz. I have not tried tuning up to E to see if this corrects the problems, will try first chance I get BUT I still want to play tuned to D as I prefer the string tension in this tuning - if the problem is fixed when tuned to E I am going to report this as a bug.

The dreaded warble? I have same issue with ALL 12 string models. Sounds like it is pitch shifting modulating... I can't get rid of it. But been so busy with enjoying other tones and guitars that I haven't had time to mess with it...

Much worse than a warble!  It's like a D and D# clashing!

Much worse than a warble!  It's like a D and D# clashing!

Yep, that is what I am hearing. I think I was able to play the Rick 12 string without the clashing only by picking and strumming VERY gently and carefully, it seems to be caused by the tiniest overtone/harmonic/finger noise.

Yep, that is what I am hearing. I think I was able to play the Rick 12 string without the clashing only by picking and strumming VERY gently and carefully, it seems to be caused by the tiniest overtone/harmonic/finger noise.

It seems to appear especially after fretting a note first then hitting the open D.

I had an issue (different to the clashing D to D#) but maybe related in some way... I had some strings, mainly the B and high e, which were ending prematurely and  not ringing true. I adjusted my bridge a lil higher and it fixed it... Maybe your nut is a tiny fraction low and making your guitar sound funny on that D string... Just a thought...

I had an issue (different to the clashing D to D#) but maybe related in some way... I had some strings, mainly the B and high e, which were ending prematurely and  not ringing true. I adjusted my bridge a lil higher and it fixed it... Maybe your nut is a tiny fraction low and making your guitar sound funny on that D string... Just a thought...

I had a similar problem, caused by setting my inputs on variax and variax mags. I was picking up two notes simultaneously. Changed second input to guitar and that fixed it.

It seems to be specific to the "D" string only when detuned to a "C".  Please try this experiment on your James Tyler Variax and let me know if you hear it too.  Remember to hit a fretted note first before striking it open.  Thanks!

I mean other than the anomaly with tuning the D string down to C... The other strings don't clash? I don't tune my guitar down but have thought about dropping it down a half step and using virtual capo to bring it into 440 but haven't tried it yet.... I guess I was questioning on a purely selfish reason and not to figure out your own issue... And for that I'm sorry.

AHA!!! Yes, I normally tune down to D also for the same reasons you do and after updating to HD have the same problem with "clashing tones" on the 12 string electrics, haven't trie the 12 string acoustics as I only had a few minutes to play the guitar the day the update was announced. I believe it was the D string going haywire on my guitar also, tho I also have a bunch of crazy noise on the E that wasn't there before and is likely caused by slight fret buzz. I have not tried tuning up to E to see if this corrects the problems, will try first chance I get BUT I still want to play tuned to D as I prefer the string tension in this tuning - if the problem is fixed when tuned to E I am going to report this as a bug.

I mean other than the anomaly with tuning the D string down to C... The other strings don't clash? I don't tune my guitar down but have thought about dropping it down a half step and using virtual capo to bring it into 440 but haven't tried it yet.... I guess I was questioning on a purely selfish reason and not to figure out your own issue... And for that I'm sorry.

Update:  I notice that it DOES affect 6 string models and sitar when using alternate tunings or virtual capo's when the "D" string is tuned down a whole step.  Without the alternate tunings or virtual capo's on the 6 strings, I didn't hear the "D" string clash.  I didn't test every model or scenario.

Jeff:  Correct, the other strings don't clash (that I've noticed) when tuned down a whole step, just peculiar to the "D" string.  This clash is a MAJOR glitch in my opinion, so my initial request is to verify whether it is just my guitar or a common issue.

The 12 strings are the problem!  I haven't noticed this problem with 6 string guitars.  See the first post.

So... a little offtopic, but other than the crazy pitch glitch how does the new HD 12 string compare to your real Rickenbacker? I thought the sound of the HD Rickys was a huge improvement (found them unuseable til now) but I don't have any genuine articles laying around to compare them to.

So... a little offtopic, but other than the crazy pitch glitch how does the new HD 12 string compare to your real Rickenbacker? I thought the sound of the HD Rickys was a huge improvement (found them unuseable til now) but I don't have any genuine articles laying around to compare them to.

Better with the HD update, but still only half-way there.  I'd rate it as "adequate".

I noticed with the D string tuned down to C that striking the "9th" fret, then open gives a prominent clash.  If you try it and press lightly on the D string behind the nut (toward the headstock), the you'll hear the clash abruptly disappear as the pitch raises.

I'm not sure if my problem is related to this topic but it sounds like it...

I use a JTV-69s and just updated to 2.0 but had the same thing happen with 1.9. I use the D28 dreadnought (position1) and whenever turning the tuning knob to anything but "standard" the D G or B string has a tendency to sound as if clipping when hit harder than normal, it sort of jumps out of the mix, at first I thought it was the PA speaker clipping but then I turned down the volume enough and still got the clipping sound, and on top of that it never clips whenever the tuning knob is back in "standard".

It's just so frustrating when the guitar is so good in every other way, I feel like telling everyone what a revolutionary guitar it is, until things like this happen.. 😱 I use it as my main guitar on well payed gigs 2-3 times a week, so I depend heavily on an update that fixes this issue soon, until then I will just have to stroke it gently ;). 🙠Chris Duraffourd

I'm not sure if my problem is related to this topic but it sounds like it...

I use a JTV-69s and just updated to 2.0 but had the same thing happen with 1.9. I use the D28 dreadnought (position1) and whenever turning the tuning knob to anything but "standard" the D G or B string has a tendency to sound as if clipping when hit harder than normal, it sort of jumps out of the mix, at first I thought it was the PA speaker clipping but then I turned down the volume enough and still got the clipping sound, and on top of that it never clips whenever the tuning knob is back in "standard".

It's just so frustrating when the guitar is so good in every other way, I feel like telling everyone what a revolutionary guitar it is, until things like this happen.. I use it as my main guitar on well payed gigs 2-3 times a week, so I depend heavily on an update that fixes this issue soon, until then I will just have to stroke it gently ;). Chris Duraffourd

I think someone mentioned the "clipping" on this forum.  Not sure if it was resolved.  You may want to submit a ticket or call their support staff.  Let me know if you hear the clash on the D string too as described above in the thread.