Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 Mod Project...

Here's a quick update on the project. I got the decal on and the finish on the headstock done. The neck is on and I only have some minor setup stuff left to do (string height at the nut and final intonation...). Once that is all done I'll probably do a quick polish on the frets but, it plays pretty well as is! I think the decal came out looking fantastic! I only ran into two problems. The first was the decal tore while I was getting it placed. Fortunately, it tore exactly between the words "James" and "Tyler". If you look close you can see where the alignment shifts just a touch between those two words. I tried to get it lined up exactly but the adhesive began to set so I figured it was close enough and didn't want to risk ruining the whole thing. The second was the mounting holes on the neck. I was expecting to have to drill one but wound up having to drill two of them. The two at the base of the neck were fine but both of the other ones needed new pilot holes. Not a big deal really but a different experience that I had heard others reporting with the Warmoth necks. 

10F9D7E2-9B75-436A-84E1-8A91AC7A51CD_zps

3B8BB62C-CCB4-4E95-B1CF-3C801A026F36_zps

Nice Job!  Let us know how it plays after you get her set up!

It plays great now with just the truss rod and bridge saddle heights set. The string height at the nut is very close as well and the intonation isn't too far off either. Since the neck is a compound radius (10"-16") I set the radius of the saddles at 17" so it would just continue to flatten out. Once I got used to the narrow nut width of the sotck neck I liked how this guitar played pretty well but this is light-years better IMO. SO worth it for me.

How would you rate Warmoth's fret-leveling "out of the box"?  I might consider upgrading to one if it didn't also require a Plek leveling on top of the neck purchase (as I had to do with the Stew-Mac / Mighty Mite neck).

How would you rate Warmoth's fret-leveling "out of the box"? I might consider upgrading to one if it didn't also require a Plek leveling on top of the neck purchase (as I had to do with the Stew-Mac / Mighty Mite neck).

I've had 4 Warmoth necks over the years, the last 2 with stainless frets. Depending on the finish you choose, the frets may need a little polishing out of the box, but none of them required any leveling. My last one was a high-gloss finish over the entire neck, including the fretboard, so those were already polished nicely, and it didn't need a thing except the initial truss rod adjustment...they ship new necks with little or no tension on the rod.

I've always been curious about it, but I've never "pleked" any of my guitars...don't know of anybody local who has one of those contraptions, and I'm not a fan of shipping guitars (I've seen that old Samsonite commercial with the gorilla to many times...;) ). I've got a really good fret guy anyway, never been a problem.

How would you rate Warmoth's fret-leveling "out of the box"?  I might consider upgrading to one if it didn't also require a Plek leveling on top of the neck purchase (as I had to do with the Stew-Mac / Mighty Mite neck).

I haven't checked the fret leveling with a straight-edge or anything but so far just playing it's not necessary. Is it as fine-tuned as a plek job? Probably not. However I don't see any issues with it aside from, as cruisinon mentioned, polishing the frets. Even then, I'll probably wait until my next string change for that.