Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just did a stupid thing......aka need advice

I was installing a set of strap locks on my JTV69.  The strap locks came with 2 lengths of screws.  The ones that came out of the Variax were closer to the length of the longer screws, though slightly shorter.  I figured I'd be better off using the longer once, hence more support.  

Well I put the one in on the back of the guitar first and when it was almost all the way in I felt it hit resistance.  I got a sinking feeling, and to confirm my fears it had penetrated the rear circuit board.  Just a little bit, but still, it went in.  

I panicked and started testing the guitar.  Conclusion:  If I use the 1/4" cable I can get the guitar to function.  All the Variax models and tuning works fine.  I get zilch with the VDI cable.  One way or the other I'm going to need a new circuit board.

My question is, it appears that there are only four screws holding in the circuit board and the wires can be more or less easily disconnected.  Should I attempt, if I can even buy one, to get a circuit board and install it myself?  I don't know if Line 6 even has those parts available to he public. Or should I send it off to a support tech?  

I'm in central NC and the only person listed on Line 6's site I talked to and he only does it part time and doesn't mess with the Variax stuff.  I explained to him that it's a simple circuit board swap and he's going to look into getting the part.

Of course I have a gig tonight.

I'm so frustrated with myself right now.....any advice would be appreciate.  

Ouch.  Nearly did that myself, but then I decided to use the original screws as they fitted through the holes anyway.

In some circumstances such as simple track breaks with some care they can be repaired with conductive paint.

I know it says 89, but I don't think it is significantly different (it might report itself as an 89 to workbench) but you can buy the replacement from here - just have a good look and perhaps call them before ordering: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/277278-Line-6-50-02-0320-4

The hardware is the same, the programming are different. Only a board

programmed as a 69 will work. They are matched for the switch configurations

of each kind of guitar. I warn people about this all the time.

Same goes for the 59, put a 59 board in a 69, and only three of the 5-way positions

function, and you lose the second layer of Models.

I warn people about this all the time too.

Use an 89 board in a 69 guitar, and you selection will be different than the labels on your

knobs. I warn people about this all the time as well.

Chuskey,.. you have the Strat looking one??? Or the Les Paul looking one???

Make certain this specific guitar is register in your account, then log a ticket with support,...

it should probably be sent back to me.

If the board got shorted, it may have damage or blown something on the VDI,

or even the controls. I should probably have a look at it.

Yeah, seen a number of these, helped a number of authorized service techs with a few.

JTV's in general, in all, serviced about (conservative estimate) 760 to 780 JTV guitars,

.... and that's just JTV's I've done here at Line 6.

Plus however many dozens I've done of guitars in general since the mid 1970's (in between all

the other kinds of electronic and electro-mechanical audio and audio/visual gear I've worked on

since then).

Thank you Charlie.

Yeah, seen a number of these, helped a number of authorized service techs with a few.

JTV's in general, in all, serviced about (conservative estimate) 760 to 780 JTV guitars,

.... and that's just JTV's I've done here at Line 6.

Plus however many dozens I've done of guitars in general since the mid 1970's (in between all

the other kinds of electronic and electro-mechanical audio and audio/visual gear I've worked on

since then).

Thank you Charlie.

Playing Devil's advocate for a few moments: quantity, doesn't represent quality. <end-of-role/>(Edit: I forgot how taggin' works.. no lollipop..)

But, I believe most of Line 6 customers were happy with most of your fixes/solutions. One doesn't have grey-hair without something in return for it, I assume you've grey-hair, since you got something in return for it.

Edited by ZenBalancer

Be careful buying a board - it may not be programmed and you won't be able to do that.  Best bet is to send it to a repair shop.

Actually, this, really bad. I remember getting a replacement board for my 600 and guess what? It wasn't pre-programmed, it literally had never been flashed, so plugging it in gave no info, and you could not flash it yourself. I believe they use special software to flash blank boards, and that you can't do it yourself with line 6 monkey.

I don't know if this is still true with the JTV stuff, but I'd definitely leave it to a Line 6 tech in case they need to flash it theirselves.

And yeah, NEVER EVER use a screw longer than the original screw. There is a reason the screw on the bottom is shorter than the screw on the horn of the guitar, so it doesn't touch the electronics.

You honestly should have not turned your guitar on while the screw was in there, because shortages are most prone to when it's powered on, unless there's still power running through the guitar while it's off, but again, when it's off, the changes of shortage are highly unlikely.

Zen,... yes,... but I'm a very picky dude, so for me it's about quality not quantity.

According to my peers, I seem to have both. Sorry for being immodest there. It's the

reputation I seem to have earned among my peers.

Besides, in my profession, you can't fake,... you don't get to stay in my profession,

it if you're not good. They won't let you.  :) 

"One doesn't have grey-hair without something in return for it, I assume you've grey-hair,

since you got something in return for it" ---- 

Yes,... and btw, for those who know the forum poster Silverhead, on the forum,... there is

a reason for that name. And yes, he and I have met, so that's how I know. It's something he

an I have in common,... a couple of gray haired techs who've seen most of it, and then some.  :)

Clay,... JTV boards are pre-programmed at the factory. There is also other programming

that tells the board which guitar it is. The program has to match the guitar, or it won't act right

with the switch selections.

Even ones not being put into JTVs and sold at say, fullcompass?

It definitely was not the case for the old Variax boards.

The ones that come from Full Compass with specific model labels, are pre-programmed

to the specific guitar as needed, before it goes to Full Compass, or anyone else.

Old Variax boards are physically different from model to model, each with a program for

that guitar. And so were not interchangeable between guitars.

With JTV's and Standards, it's the program that is made to fit the guitar. Just need to make

sure to get the correct program for the guitar you have.

The ones that come from Full Compass with specific model labels, are pre-programmed

to the specific guitar as needed, before it goes to Full Compass, or anyone else.

Old Variax boards are physically different from model to model, each with a program for

that guitar. And so were not interchangeable between guitars.

With JTV's and Standards, it's the program that is made to fit the guitar. Just need to make

sure to get the correct program for the guitar you have.

Yes, but I got a 600 coffin and it did absolutely nothing when trying to replace it into my 600. I ended up sending it back.

Either way, I ended up fixing my 600 this year, the problem was a botched solder job because I was using a garbage solder iron and soldering.

After getting proper ones from Ace hardware, bam, my 1/4 jack was working again, though I think I do need to buy a volume pot again.

Thanks for all the replies!  I had a gig that night, a busy day at work Friday, and a slam full day Saturday and this is the first time I've had the chance to check in on the boards.  

I haven't heard back yet from the repair guy in my state.  I'm going to open a ticket now with Line 6.  Haven't even had the chance to do that until now.  I want to make sure if I order the part I get the right one.  

Since it's working with the 1/4" it hasn't been full crisis mode thank goodness :)

• 4 years later...
On 4/3/2021 at 6:06 PM, rockmancentral said:

Just curious... is it still possible to get the mainboards for the JTV guitars?  If so, how do I order them?

I would open a support ticket with Line 6.  I don't of any one else that sells them, but they may be out there.  

One thing I did find out is that you want to get the board pertaining to your model.  The 59, 69, 89 have slightly different settings.