Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ATTENTION G10 OWNERS...

Line6Tony

If you're having charging issues, please make sure you seat the transmitter completely into the receiver, otherwise the transmitter will not charge. For more details, see this article: Relay G10 FAQ

We have designed the G10 transmitter to fit into almost any guitar. However, we anticipate that there will be some rare cases where the transmitter does not fit into a given guitar. If the G10 transmitter is inserted into your guitar and the transmitter's actuator pin is not engaged, the transmitter will not turn on, and the LED on the transmitter will not light up.

In some rare cases, the guitar’s active electronics are wired with inverse polarity. In this scenario, the transmitter's electronics can go into a protection mode that keeps the system from being functional. This is evidenced by no output from the G10, even though the transmitter's light is on.

We have found that a workaround to both of these issues is to use a mono-to-mono (TS-TS) Male to Female adaptor. More details and a troubleshooting procedure can be found at http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/relay-g10-guitar-compatibility-fitelectronics-r817.

If these issues affect you, we encourage you to post the following information so that we can better understand the scope of the issue and the effectiveness of the solution:

• Guitar manufacturer
  • Guitar model
  • Does it fit and turn on?
  • Do you hear audio?
  • Does the adaptor solution resolve the issue?

Hello,

I'm playing various Guitars (acoustic, electric) but only with my Breedlove "Discovery Dread Ce" Serial No. CC140203698 the transmitter  will not connect to the receiver. I plug it in the Guitar, it fits perfect, the green LED starts flashing as in search mode for the best Channel .. and it will stay in this status. 

As for the transmitter to be plugged direct to the guitar, which was for me the kiiler feature to buy this Item to play my preferred Guitar on stage, I'm not really willing to extend the distance between the transmitter and the guitar by using an additional adapter.

I think this is a problem 100% to be solved on the manufacturers side.

By the way, the "charged fully" LED Status (solid green light on Transmitter while plugged to the receiver) never appears with my G10. even after almost two days of constant charging the LED will still be "flashing" (charging). Is there an answer to this problem?

Greets from Germany

Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

I failed to get the g10 fully inserted into some Ibanez S Bodies (egen18, sv5470, ...) but the jack-jack adapter solved the problem, although I am using stereo to mono, not mono to mono :D

• Upvote 1

Same issue. Went to use the use the g10 with both an ibanez acoustic and gretsch falcon rancher. Would not connect to either. Electrics were fine connecting. There's nothing special about either of the acoustics inputs. Very disappointed here. I showed my buddy who has one order and it wouldn't work wig his acoustic either. Said he'd be cancelling his order. Using any sort of extender would make this stick out way to far. As an early adopter of most line 6 products including the helix, I'm becoming very disappointed with the issues line 6 release their products with out of the gate. Come on guys. 3 out 3 acoustics wouldn't work. Surely you ran into this.

• Guitar manufacturer  Ibanez

• Guitar model  RGIR27FE 7-string with active EMG pickups

Does it fit and turn on?  Yes

Do you hear audio?  No

Does the adaptor solution resolve the issue?  Yes

I'm assuming the guitar is wired with inverse polarity.  I'll try rewiring the output jack and I'll post my results.

Update:

I rewired the output jack on the RGIR27FE (basically switched the audio ground and battery ground) and solved the issue.

All of my guitars now work with my G10 without the adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not getting any signal using the G10 with my PRS P22 guitar. Might have to try the adaptor method.. It has a battery activate piezo on board which I'm thinking is the reason it's not working with the G10...?

I have had the same issue with my Guitar.  it is a Breedlove.  Do you know if the issue with Breedlove is reverse wiring or is it an issue of the jack not being seated completely.

When I insert the transmitter, the base unit just continues to flash white instead of going to solid white when it connects. 

Thanks

I have had the same issue with my Guitar.  it is a Breedlove.  Do you know if the issue with Breedlove is reverse wiring or is it an issue of the jack not being seated completely.

When I insert the transmitter, the base unit just continues to flash white instead of going to solid white when it connects. 

Thanks

If the transmitter turns green, when inserted into the guitar, it's not a problem with it being seated completely.  I'd recommend trying an adapter.  If the adapter works it's probably the reverse wiring issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not getting any signal using the G10 with my PRS P22 guitar. Might have to try the adaptor method.. It has a battery activate piezo on board which I'm thinking is the reason it's not working with the G10...?

I think the issue with the PRS P22 is that they do not like a TRS plug inserted (The G10 uses a TRS plug if you look closely at it). I've tried other chords with a TRS and they won't work. I think PRS wire up the jack using the ring instead of the sleeve, which doesn't matter with a TS plug.

If you use a TS adaptor (1/4" male to female) and plug into the adaptor it should work. I'm going to try this as well

So can we expect a software update fix to this problem?

There is no mention of this issue on the information page of the G10 on the Line 6 website and no-one at the guitar shop I purchased it at had any knowledge about it. At the moment I have a useless G10 and I cannot track down a suitable adaptor (i.e. the Hosa GPP151) which anyway is an unacceptable solution.

So can we expect a software update fix to this problem?

There is no mention of this issue on the information page of the G10 on the Line 6 website and no-one at the guitar shop I purchased it at had any knowledge about it. At the moment I have a useless G10 and I cannot track down a suitable adaptor (i.e. the Hosa GPP151) which anyway is an unacceptable solution.

Which issue are you referring to exactly? There are a few different things being discussed in this thread.

^that's pretty neat, it might make it so that it won't stick out so much either. I would just be afraid of is helicoptering around

The Right Angle Adapter's 1/4" TS male plug fits snugly in all my guitars. Unless you actually rotate the adapter (to reposition it in the jack) it does not spin freely. This also with the G10T inserted in the Adapter. I have both the HOSA and LiveWire adapter versions. They are identical.

Which issue are you referring to exactly? There are a few different things being discussed in this thread.

I thought the context was clear. Line6Tony raised 2 issues: One problem is a hardware problem: the switch isn't engaged due to the physical fit of the G10 into the jack. The other is a firmware problem caused by the G10 thinking the active electronics in some guitars is actually the charging station. 

Obviously there can't be an update to fix problem 1. But can we expect a fix problem 2? 

• 3 weeks later...

My guitar has a Fishman piezo loaded sadles which did not work with the G10 ie no sound. The electric pickups work ok.

So I tried the adaptor, the Hosa GPP151 and also tried another different make of adaptor. Although I'm now getting sound from either, I'm also getting a loud buzz/hum coming through the amp which is not acceptable. I thought this might have been to do with my piezo so tried it with a friend's guitar which has a Graphtech piezo - but the same noise is coming through!! It sounds like it is picking up the noise from the power chip in the piezo but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Line 6 - any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

To all the users having connection problems with their active pickup guitars: 

I just got my G10 yesterday and I love it.  All my guitars worked except for my classical that uses a battery.  I solved the problem by applying a fix from another user on this forum.  I simply reversed the the two ground wires on the output jack of that guitar and it now works perfectly. I am also going to get a mono L-shape adapter, as suggested by another user, to carry around with me so it can work on other players guitars that might want to sit in.  

As for those complaining about the thin sound, as compared to using a cord, yes it is a little noticeable.  So play around with the amp or mixer EQ and you can achieve a decent sound.  I think the ease of use and smart technology of this unit outweighs any cons.  I love the fact that you can plug and unplug the unit from your guitars without any noise or hum from the amplifier.  That is a pleasant bonus!

• Upvote 1

I found a workaround on the transmitter not fitting into the guitar input on certain guitars like the Ibanez S series and possibly the Stratocaster. I have a Ibanez S series with the recessed 1/4" jack. I removed the back plate lossened the jack and placed a 1/4" thick by 3/4" diameter rubber washer on the outside of the jack. This gave plenty of room for the G10 transmitter to connect as it brought the plug out about 1/4".

post-251227-0-79597400-1476286944_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My guitar has a Fishman piezo loaded sadles which did not work with the G10 ie no sound. The electric pickups work ok.

So I tried the adaptor, the Hosa GPP151 and also tried another different make of adaptor. Although I'm now getting sound from either, I'm also getting a loud buzz/hum coming through the amp which is not acceptable. I thought this might have been to do with my piezo so tried it with a friend's guitar which has a Graphtech piezo - but the same noise is coming through!! It sounds like it is picking up the noise from the power chip in the piezo but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Line 6 - any suggestions?

Just bought the G10 and it works perfectly with all my PRS and Taylors except for my PRS P22. Works like a charm on the "piezo only" output. But no signal on the mixed output. I fiddled a little bit around with it and put a 2-3mm spacer on the plug. This presses the built in switch on the sender to turn it on and the signal seems to be ok then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Thinking of getting one of these but this thread has me a bit worried. 

Anyone know if it works with a Clapton strat which has active electronics?

I'm not going to buy one if I then have additional expense just to get it to work.

Thanks

David

• Guitar manufacturer - Schecter

• Guitar model - Blackjack SLS C-1 FR S (sustainiac )

Does it fit and turn on? - Yes

Do you hear audio? - No

Does the adaptor solution resolve the issue? Didnt try it. I chose to open up the guitar jack and swap the ring and sleeve connections around. It is a 5 minute job with a 30w soldering iron. G10 is now working like a dream.

Hi All

Thinking of getting one of these but this thread has me a bit worried. 

Anyone know if it works with a Clapton strat which has active electronics?

I'm not going to buy one if I then have additional expense just to get it to work.

Thanks

David

I currently have 23 guitars with output jacks, 6 of which have active electronics.  With the exception of my Ibanez RGIR27FE 7-string, all of them worked perfectly the first time I plugged in the G10 and the Ibanez worked with the adapter.  I switched a wire to a different contact on the Ibanez's output jack and now it works fine without the adapter as well.  I've had several friends bring over their guitars and all of them have worked so far.  I'm not positive about the EC Strat but even if you had to have someone switch the wire for you, it wouldn't be expensive.  I'm a novice at soldering and it only took me 5 - 10 minutes, not counting letting the soldering iron heat up.

I currently have 23 guitars with output jacks, 6 of which have active electronics.  With the exception of my Ibanez RGIR27FE 7-string, all of them worked perfectly the first time I plugged in the G10 and the Ibanez worked with the adapter.  I switched a wire to a different contact on the Ibanez's output jack and now it works fine without the adapter as well.  I've had several friends bring over their guitars and all of them have worked so far.  I'm not positive about the EC Strat but even if you had to have someone switch the wire for you, it wouldn't be expensive.  I'm a novice at soldering and it only took me 5 - 10 minutes, not counting letting the soldering iron heat up.

Hi Darrell

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the time you've taken however, whilst I'm sure it's very simple to re-jig the wiring or to buy the adapter, but I'm afraid in the UK we have a very simple law. If you buy it and it doesn't do what it says you get a refund. It's called mis-selling.

Either it works or it doesn't and I'm afraid I'm not going to buy something on the off chance it might work or require me to do additional purchases or fiddling

with something that already works fine to make it work.

Simply not acceptable. 

Maybe a Line6 employee could answer the question.

Thanks

David

Hi Darrell

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the time you've taken however, whilst I'm sure it's very simple to re-jig the wiring or to buy the adapter, but I'm afraid in the UK we have a very simple law. If you buy it and it doesn't do what it says you get a refund. It's called mis-selling.

Either it works or it doesn't and I'm afraid I'm not going to buy something on the off chance it might work or require me to do additional purchases or fiddling

with something that already works fine to make it work.

Simply not acceptable. 

Maybe a Line6 employee could answer the question.

Thanks

David

Line 6 has been very open and transparent about saying that there may be compatibility issues with certain guitars. Not sure how anyone could say they were misrepresenting anything. It's not realistic to expect them to test the G10 with every guitar, pickup, and electronics configuration it may encounter in the world.

Line 6 has been very open and transparent about saying that there may be compatibility issues with certain guitars. Not sure how anyone could say they were misrepresenting anything. It's not realistic to expect them to test the G10 with every guitar, pickup, and electronics configuration it may encounter in the world.

Phil

Again, thanks for taking the time to response and whilst you're an Uber Guru you're still not a line6 official. I never said they mis-represented anything but as I said (and I've no idea what the situation is in the US) over here if you buy something and it doesn't work you get your money back, I'm not making it up. It's the law. There's no provision for 'well if you buy this as well then it'll work, or if you re-wire your existing kit it'll work'. It has to do what it says it will. 

But as they've said there IS and issue and they know what that issue there is a clear design flaw in the product. Don't get me wrong I'm a line 6 fan, in fact I've got more of their gear than you have, I just don't have the time spend doing loads of posts. If there's an adapter than may be needed to make it work on ANY guitar then it should be in the box or at the very least a voucher that states if you have this issue then you get one free of charge. 

It's not like I've got a weird exotic off the wall guitar. My son built an electric guitar. Would I expect them to know if it works with that. Of course not. But it's a strat with active electronics onboard. Should they know whether it'll work or not. Yes they should.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Cheers

David

But as they've said there IS and issue and they know what that issue there is a clear design flaw in the product. Don't get me wrong I'm a line 6 fan, in fact I've got more of their gear than you have, I just don't have the time spend doing loads of posts. If there's an adapter than may be needed to make it work on ANY guitar then it should be in the box or at the very least a voucher that states if you have this issue then you get one free of charge.

Well, I don't agree that it's a design flaw... I'd say it's a design limitation they chose to live with, knowing that for the vast majority of electric guitars, it wouldn't be an issue. The whole issue that they design the transmitter so that it could be charged via the TRS plug in the base, and for certain active electronics, that causes certain issues. I have actually seen posts by people on Facebook and here, I think, where users have said Line 6 has sent them an adapter for free when they've contacted them. I guess many people don't bother to contact them simply because they either have an adapter laying around, or they just figure it's easier to pick one up for a few bucks.

As far as the whole getting your money back thing, I'm not really sure why that's even an issue. Nearly ever retailer who sells Line 6 products, even in the US, offers a return policy. I would imagine that it's the same in the UK.

Also, not it matters, I'm sure you don't have more Line 6 gear than I have... I'm pretty much a Line 6 gear hoarder. :D  It's just that the majority of it is registered to an alternate account. I've been here for so long that the account I had for the forums and my user account were different. I probably should transfer them all to one, just no real pressure to do it, I guess. So, yeah, the "registered gear" thing there on left hand side isn't correct.

Well, I don't agree that it's a design flaw... I'd say it's a design limitation they chose to live with, knowing that for the vast majority of electric guitars, it wouldn't be an issue. The whole issue that they design the transmitter so that it could be charged via the TRS plug in the base, and for certain active electronics, that causes certain issues. I have actually seen posts by people on Facebook and here, I think, where users have said Line 6 has sent them an adapter for free when they've contacted them. I guess many people don't bother to contact them simply because they either have an adapter laying around, or they just figure it's easier to pick one up for a few bucks.

As far as the whole getting your money back thing, I'm not really sure why that's even an issue. Nearly ever retailer who sells Line 6 products, even in the US, offers a return policy. I would imagine that it's the same in the UK.

Also, not it matters, I'm sure you don't have more Line 6 gear than I have... I'm pretty much a Line 6 gear hoarder. :D  It's just that the majority of it is registered to an alternate account. I've been here for so long that the account I had for the forums and my user account were different. I probably should transfer them all to one, just no real pressure to do it, I guess. So, yeah, the "registered gear" thing there on left hand side isn't correct.

Well clearly you have your view and I have mine. Like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree. You're correct about returns policy, especially if bought online. But I'd rather know beforehand as buying it and then finding out it doesn't work and having to return it is a problem I'd rather not have and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask.

Also, I didn't mean anything derogatory by the 'more gear than you' quip so apologies if you took it that way.

I agree that it's a stated limitation and not a design flaw.  I also definitely understand your hesitation to purchase one without knowing for certain that it will work on your guitar.  Hopefully someone with that exact same model will chime in with an answer.

You might be able to check for compatibility visually, if you can see how the output jack is wired.  This might require removing the pickguard though.  If the battery ground wire is connected to the ring and the other ground (audio) is connected to the sleeve, the G10 will work.

phil_m:  Is there any way to test this with a trs cable and an ohmmeter?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Kala ukulele, which uses Kala brand of pickup and EQ and volume control. Kala is the most popular selling brand of ukulele in the US. The G10 was flashing green after insertion but no sound from the amp. I reversed the wiring of the sleeve and the ring on the jack and still no sound from the amp. A friend of mine has a Kala, different model, and he also cannot get his G10 to work. We are both awaiting a Hosa right angle adapter. This is frustrating, why doesn't  Line 6 ship an adapter with the product? Close to $200 and they don't include a cheap adapter??? Why hassle the customer?