Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ATTENTION G10 OWNERS...

Line6Tony

I agree that it's a stated limitation and not a design flaw.  I also definitely understand your hesitation to purchase one without knowing for certain that it will work on your guitar.  Hopefully someone with that exact same model will chime in with an answer.

You might be able to check for compatibility visually, if you can see how the output jack is wired.  This might require removing the pickguard though.  If the battery ground wire is connected to the ring and the other ground (audio) is connected to the sleeve, the G10 will work.

phil_m:  Is there any way to test this with a trs cable and an ohmmeter?

Hi Guys

As it turns out I was bought one for Christmas. So two things. Firstly it definitely is OK with a Clapton Strat. Secondly, it came with the adapter shown in the pic above in the box so problem solved either way.

Nice one Line 6.

Cheers

Hope you all had a good Christmas and have a great new year.

Hi Guys

As it turns out I was bought one for Christmas. So two things. Firstly it definitely is OK with a Clapton Strat. Secondly, it came with the adapter shown in the pic above in the box so problem solved either way.

Nice one Line 6.

Cheers

Hope you all had a good Christmas and have a great new year.

Awesome!!  Thanks for posting.

I guess Line 6 must have decided to start including an adapter even though very few seem to experience any problems.  If my experience is typical, based on mine and my friends guitars, the percentage of guitars experiencing problems would be about 3%.

Same problem. Two (similar) guitars:

• Guitar manufacturer - Ibanez
  • Guitar model - RGIX20FESM
  • Does it fit and turn on? Yes
  • Do you hear audio? No
  • Does the adaptor solution resolve the issue? Haven't tried (no adapter inc.)
  • Guitar model - RGIT27FE
  • Do you hear audio? No

I haven't had the time to read through the entire thread, but this kind of a 'limitation' should be clearly marked in the product description on sales pages, not something you need to discover via Google after you've bought it and it doesn't work. Total BS in my opinion.

For the record, it does work with some of my other guitars -- and the setup with the Spider V 120 was very cool -- but the fact that it works with by $150 tele knockoff and not my much nicer Ibanez' may well be a deal breaker.

Mine came with an angled adapter. I had the exact same problem with my acoustics with Fishman systems, without the adapter the unit seems to work but got no sound.

With the adapter it works just fine and also helps seeing the transmitter, otherwise the guitar body blocks it from your sight.

The adapter must be "TS to TS" (mono to mono)

Get also a TRS to TS adapter (stereo female to mono male) just in case, it might help with other guitars.

Same problem. Two (similar) guitars:

• Guitar model - RGIX20FESM
  • Do you hear audio? No
  • Guitar model - RGIT27FE
  • Do you hear audio? No

I haven't had the time to read through the entire thread, but this kind of a 'limitation' should be clearly marked in the product description on sales pages, not something you need to discover via Google after you've bought it and it doesn't work. Total BS in my opinion.

For the record, it does work with some of my other guitars -- and the setup with the Spider V 120 was very cool -- but the fact that it works with by $150 tele knockoff and not my much nicer Ibanez' may well be a deal breaker.

Of the approximately 30 guitars I've tried it with, the only one I ran into a problem with was my Ibanez RGIR27FE (almost identical to your model).  Switching one of the ground wires to the other ground post on the output jack fixed the problem.

Of the approximately 30 guitars I've tried it with, the only one I ran into a problem with was my Ibanez RGIR27FE (almost identical to your model).  Switching one of the ground wires to the other ground post on the output jack fixed the problem.

I appreciate the advice, but even if I were comfortable doing that (which I'm not), it seems ridiculous to hack a fairly expensive guitar to accommodate a cheap wireless. Like rewiring a new Camaro so an $80 car stereo works correctly.

I understand L6 couldn't test them with every possible guitar out there, but as I mentioned originally, Ibanez is a huuuuuge brand. You'd think they could have at least covered the mid-range guitars from one of the world's largest and most popular manufacturers.

And since has been a known issue for months, the very least they could've done is shown a list of 'incompatible' guitars on their sales pages at Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc. Not doing that is really weak, if not flat-out misrepresenting their product.

I understand your frustration.  I only did the mod because I prefer not to use an adapter (which worked fine).  It's got to be one of the easiest wiring mods as it only took me about 15 minutes (that includes warming up the iron) and I'm an amateur at soldering.

BTW, my other Ibanez worked fine with the G10.  It might be some specific models or it could even be which of the 2 posts on the output jack the tech felt like soldering the ground wires to, as either way it doesn't affect the output of the guitar; a ground is a ground.

It might be pretty difficult to put together a very comprehensive list of which guitars are having difficulty.  They'd probably have to compile data from all support tickets that were submitted on the issue but I'd bet that the majority of people experiencing the problem aren't going as far as to log a ticket.

Since you don't want to do the mod, I guess your options are to return the G10 or use an adapter.

Anyhow, I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw someone else post something similar to this but never an official response or fix.

I plug the G10 into my acoustic and it creates a high pitched interference that the adaptor trick is not fixing. 

The pickups are battery operate LR Baggs

Make: Breedlove

Model: D25

Fits: Yes

Turns On: Yes

Hear Audio: Yes with high pitch interference

Adaptor Fix: No

I saw someone else post something similar to this but never an official response or fix.

I plug the G10 into my acoustic and it creates a high pitched interference that the adaptor trick is not fixing. 

The pickups are battery operate LR Baggs

Make: Breedlove

Model: D25

Fits: Yes

Turns On: Yes

Hear Audio: Yes with high pitch interference

Adaptor Fix: No

Lots of info here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/21942-high-frequency-noise-with-g10/?hl=baggs&do=findComment&comment=186281

G10 works perfectly with my Fender Elite P bass. But doesn't with my two bass Ukulele's. the first is a Kala Ubass the second is a Fluke solid wood. Both have active piezoelectric pickups. My G10 (brand new purchased in th UK 02/02/2017) did not come with an adapter which as a known issue is disappointing. Hosa GPP-151 adapter on order. Fingers crossed, if it doesn't work the G10 will have to be returned

OK, so the Hosa GPP-151 mono to mono adapter arrived, I now have sound from both of the Ukulele bass's using the G10, however both are accompanied by a loud high pitch whining noise that renders it totally unusable. Very disappointing, I understand that not everything can be compatible but perhaps this should be explicit in the advertising ? I need wireless for my bass for our Ukulele orchestra (cables just not an option) and I have now wasted a week trying to resolve this and missed one gig. Does anyone know if I will have the same issues with the G75 style ?

• 3 weeks later...

One of my basses is an Ibanex SR1205, and the G10 transmitter won't fit into the plug slot on the guitar. One of the solutions provided in this article is a straight 1/4 male-female adaptor. The problem is , I cant find these anywhere online. I would really like to move to the G10, but it won't work for me unless I can find the adaptor. HELP..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all!!

Please, I need help with my Relay G10.

Tomorrow I have a gig and I'm very frustrated.

Please look at my issue video on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/XlBQS-nfAFw

Receiver is fully discharged and I'm trying to charge for tomorrow.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks to all!!

If you cannot return and exchange the unit for another, the quickest step would be to install the latest firmware version 1.04. Check the top of the Line 6 Relay Forum for the thread which contains instructions and the link to download and install it. The latest firmware was released back in Sept 2016. It corrected a number of charging and sleep problems. Hopefully updating the firmware remedies what you are encountering. Also make sure the transmitter is fully seated in the receiver jack.

So I got a G-10 and after using it for one day it would not charge - no matter what  I did. Line 6 was good enough to send me a new one as a replacement. The replacement unit worked once - after charging it, I plugged it into a couple different guitars and it worked great (an acosutic and an electric). I put the transmitter back in the charger and in the morning the base was flashing red and the transmitter does not light up at all. It looks like this one is defective, too. I can't return it to Guitar Center because i  bought it using loyalty points and they subtract it from the price rather than treating it like a credit, so I'd be screwed out of $90 if I tried to take it back. I am not a happy camper.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here knows if the g10 will work OK with the fishman fluence gristletone Tele pickup set?

It looks as though the input jack used on these pickups could cause setting issues with the g10.

I'm hoping someone on the forum has experience using them together.

Thanks

So I've had mine for a few months and I notice that I get pops, like static, when I play through my newer LPs. I'm thinking it has something to do with the circuit board pots. Anyone have that issue? Line6 have a workaround?

Roland V Accordion

Model FR-3X

The G10 wouldn't seat properly when I went to use it for the first time with my new accordion. I was really upset because I had used the G10 on several gigs plugging into a microphone developed for the treble side of the accordion. Luckily I had my G50 as well (that I almost sold) and I was able to complete the gig using the G50.

Thank you for sharing the above information. I am going to call Line 6 today to see if they will provide me the "fix".

• 3 weeks later...

Tried my new g10 with my Godin Multiac SA and got the high pitch squeal.  I had to use the adapter because it didn't work at all without it.  I tried using both the 1/4 and XLR jacks coming out of the g10 receiver into the board but that didn't make a difference.  I've also tried the G70 and had the same problem. That one also gave me problems with my single coil Strat (non powered Lindy Fralin pickups)  Ended up sending that one back.  I have no trouble with any of my guitars using  my older G50 series wireless.  I hope that thing never breaks. Do we know if Line 6 is trying to fix this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My Tobias Growler bass doesn't work with the G10. But my acoustic guitar does.

• Guitar manufacturer - TOBIAS (While owned by Gibson - I got it in 1999, not sure when it was made - SN:6727)
  • Guitar model - GROWLER
  • Does it fit and turn on? - Fits, but transmitter blinks and base pulses
  • Do you hear audio? - NO
  • Does the adaptor solution resolve the issue? I used a right-angled adapter and it works but it swings/slops around.

The electrics are 2 separate 9v pick-up systems. ie it requires two 9v batteries, and has two separately powered pick-ups.

I don't know if this has some bearing on it?

Cheers

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

At least one of my transmitters (latest FW) discharged while plugged in the guitar. It turned off after 4min but I picked it up some days ago and it was depleted. Oh well....

The transmitter will go to sleep in about 4 minutes when in the guitar (or any time the micro switch is depressed), but it is still powered on looking for a signal. It will deplete in sleep mode after some time. If you aren't going to use it for a few days, pull the transmitter out a bit so that the micro switch is not engaged. 

So I got a G-10 and after using it for one day it would not charge - no matter what  I did. Line 6 was good enough to send me a new one as a replacement. The replacement unit worked once - after charging it, I plugged it into a couple different guitars and it worked great (an acosutic and an electric). I put the transmitter back in the charger and in the morning the base was flashing red and the transmitter does not light up at all. It looks like this one is defective, too. I can't return it to Guitar Center because i  bought it using loyalty points and they subtract it from the price rather than treating it like a credit, so I'd be screwed out of $90 if I tried to take it back. I am not a happy camper.

Line 6 will still take care of the issue since it will still be under warranty. Open a support ticket with Line 6. 

<p>

If you're having charging issues, please make sure you seat the transmitter completely into the receiver, otherwise the transmitter will not charge. For more details, see this article: Relay G10 FAQ

We have designed the G10 transmitter to fit into almost any guitar. However, we anticipate that there will be some rare cases where the transmitter does not fit into a given guitar. If the G10 transmitter is inserted into your guitar and the transmitter's actuator pin is not engaged, the transmitter will not turn on, and the LED on the transmitter will not light up.

In some rare cases, the guitar’s active electronics are wired with inverse polarity. In this scenario, the transmitter's electronics can go into a protection mode that keeps the system from being functional. This is evidenced by no output from the G10, even though the transmitter's light is on.

We have found that a workaround to both of these issues is to use a mono-to-mono (TS-TS) Male to Female adaptor. More details and a troubleshooting procedure can be found at http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/relay-g10-guitar-compatibility-fitelectronics-r817.

If these issues affect you, we encourage you to post the following information so that we can better understand the scope of the issue and the effectiveness of the solution:

• Guitar manufacturer
  • Guitar model
  • Does it fit and turn on?
  • Do you hear audio?
  • Does the adaptor solution resolve the issue?

• 3 weeks later...

My Godin Summit Classic doesn't work with the G10 as it doesn't fit the jack slot.

• Guitar manufacturer - Godin
  • Guitar model - Summit Classic 2015
  • Does it fit and turn on? - No and No
  • Does the adapter solution resolve the issue? NO, as it does not fit because of the angle. Would have worked if straight.

PierM

My Fender Telecaster Baja '60 doesn't work with the G10 as it doesn't fit the jack slot.

• Guitar manufacturer - Fender 
  • Guitar model - Baja '60 2014
  • Does it fit and turn on? - No and No
  • Does the adapter solution resolve the issue? NO, as it does not fit because of the angle. Would have worked if straight.

PierM

• 2 weeks later...

Can I use the USB port on my computer/wall charger to power the Relay G10 base station?  

I have a power strip for my HD500X + pedals, and the strip has 2 USB ports.  I'd like to avoid the jenky wall wart supplied with the unit by just plugging the mini USB directly into the ports. 

Can I use the USB port on my computer/wall charger to power the Relay G10 base station?  

I have a power strip for my HD500X + pedals, and the strip has 2 USB ports.  I'd like to avoid the jenky wall wart supplied with the unit by just plugging the mini USB directly into the ports. 

That would probably work. The base unit just needs 5 vdc for power. 

• 3 weeks later...