Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Front of amp routing while in 4 cable method configuration

ricky50

This may seem a bit crazy but I sometimes prefer to be in a straight into the front of the amp set up and I'd like to be able to switch to this during a gig while mainly playing patches in a 4 cable method configuration. There is obviously no time to switch my cables around during a gig. Is there a way of doing this? I assume I can probably get close to this by varying the position of the FX block and if so where should I put the FX block in a patch chain to best achieve this?

When you say "straight into the front of the amp", you cannot physically do that without unplugging cables, as Helix does not do the kind of relay bypassing that some other kinds of units do - but if you are happy to run through Helix's input jack (and the A/D and D/A conversion) before going into the front of your amp then yes you could do this in a number of ways.    Also do you want to use any of Helix's FX in front of the amp??

If your amp has a switchable FX loop then you could just turn the amp's FX loop off and set up the output for the Path to be Send1/2 (or Send 3/4) on the presets where you want to go straight into the front of the amp.   If you want any FX just add them on the path.

If the amp doesn't have a switchable loop what you basically have to do is just run it in 4cm but not use any FX blocks after the SEND/RETURN block before the Helix path out (1/4in I presume).   Any FX blocks you want need to go before the Helix SEND/RETURN block.

My amp doesn't have a switchable FX loop. I dont mind using the FX in front of the amp In fact that's what I want to do for these particular patches If I put the send/return block at the end of the chain I assume that routes everything through the amp's FX loop and therefore it's bypassing the amp's preamp section. Is that right or have I got this wrong?