Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix in amp effects loop

lowrider94

An alternate is the two cable method. I plug my guitar into the Helix, take the main out and plug it into my amps FX Return. Now I'm just using the power section of my amp. I use a pre amp sim in the Helix, but no cab sim. Using a cab sim while playing through a guitar cab seems to make it very muddy.

The guys that are using the 4CM, are you using amp sims?

An alternate is the two cable method. I plug my guitar into the Helix, take the main out and plug it into my amps FX Return. Now I'm just using the power section of my amp. I use a pre amp sim in the Helix, but no cab sim. Using a cab sim while playing through a guitar cab seems to make it very muddy.

The guys that are using the 4CM, are you using amp sims?

I am no expert on the 4CM method, I have tried it but I don't use it (too much darn cabling for my tastes). I believe that the flexibility it offers would allow you to bypass the guitar amp's preamp and use the modeling direct to the power amp, or use modeling with the preamp, or not use the modeling at all depending on where your routes blocks are positioned and what you have bypassed in the signal chain.

I'm actually using Helix in 8 cable method at the moment :)

I have one cable from guitar to Helix input.

Then A 4 way mini multicore - so 4 cables from Helix to my H&K Switchblade amp - from Helix's FX send 1, FX return 1, 1/4in jack L and the MIDI out.

that's 5 cables in total  (but only actually 2 physical cables to run at the same time :) )

then I have more 3 cables to my Award Session 75 combo, from Helix's FX send 2, FX return 2, 1/4in Jack R.

It means I have stereo guitar cabs which is very nice.  I can choose to use either any of the 128 tube H&K preamp presets, the solid state Session's preamp, or instead a Helix preamp.  I do mainly use the H&K amp's preamp.  It just sounds great and is very versatile.  I need to experiment a bit more with the Helix's preamps and see if there's anything Helix can do that the H&K can't do better.   

I usually don't run any cab sims into my stage amps, but it does actually work well if you are trying to achieve an "amp in a room" kind of sound...  I've not used that on any of my gig sounds yet.. but might do once I experiment a bit more

Edit: I need to make one more cable so I can use Helix to switch channels on the Session amp (Hope it actually works!)