Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Hum Issue

jontydodarr

Just recently purchased a Helix, however having a bit of a hum issue on an Overdrive setting , attempted to get a similar tone to what I've been using on my HD 147 head , so dialled in the same settings on the Cali rectifire setting , and boy what a hum I'm getting from helix via l2t cab, yet if go back to the head and cab almost no interference, anyone any ideas ??

Have you checked the level of the Hum parameter in the Helix amp model?

Last night I had a subtle hum sound on my headphones and it took me quite a while to assign it correctly.

Guess what it was ;)

So the hum parameter is 'hidden tricky'...

Also, vary the actual outlet you plug into. Generally, I think you want Helix and the L2T into the same outlet, but it might be a grounding problem. Hum often is, if not usually.

Hey Peter could you explain more here? Does the same outlet make electronic noise lower? I don't have much knowledge here so just curious :)

What he is talking about is; different power outlets especially on a separate powerline  equals a differential between the two earths and thus hum. 

Good grounding is important but even with good ground garbage easily gets on it. Light dimmers,fluro, fridges,aircon etc dirty it up.

It is not uncommon for even good power to have a 50hz or 60hz hum depending where you are in the world.

Another prob is guitar pickups and high gain.If you can move the guitar around and noise changes it is the pickups picking up electrical noise from the Helix (computer) or other electromagnetic device like Amp, TV,  or fluro light or dimmer switch etc. Get the guitar cavities and under scratch plate shielded.

If you touch the strings and noise subsides check for grounding of the guitar or improve it with/while shielding.

Meantime placement of Amp 90 degrees away from the Helix and guitar. Placement can help.

Realistically, I use the noise gate in the input block when there's enough gain for the hum to bother me. But that's hum being picked up by my guitar, not originating in Helix. If you think it's coming from Helix itself, that may not help.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Fired up LT today strong hum , removed all cables ,plugged in only headset hum still there. Hum followed main volume control ,but nothing else. Removed to try in another room with head phones only,hum was gone .Returned to first location ,hum was gone. First time has done this since  firmware 2.54.0 -9efa95c.  Only diff was removed power. Works fine ,fully connected ,now.  Bug?? Might go to 2.53...