Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix to L3T or PA table

robby747

Hi guys.

I have an helix and a L3T. Great. Play it together home. Now the question is: how to use it live? Should I play helix to l3t via L6 link then to table, or helix to table then l3t as overall return (band, vocals and me?). Will it sound the same for listeners?

Might be a dumb question but I don't set the sound usually, some buddies do it and I just care for my own sound but I'll get a few gigs next months and wanna get it right as I just moved to helix...

Rockin' regards

Hi guys.

I have an helix and a L3T. Great. Play it together home. Now the question is: how to use it live? Should I play helix to l3t via L6 link then to table, or helix to table then l3t as overall return (band, vocals and me?). Will it sound the same for listeners?

Might be a dumb question but I don't set the sound usually, some buddies do it and I just care for my own sound but I'll get a few gigs next months and wanna get it right as I just moved to helix...

Rockin' regards

I have used an L2m before in pretty much the first manner you described. The L6 link out from the Helix to the L2m and then the L2m out to the mixer. I also had a vocal monitor so I was not returning anything from the mixer desk to the L2m. If you have the L3t behind you and also return guitar from the mixer to the vocal monitor in front, you will probably end up with phase cancellation so I kept the vocal/band mix with none of my guitar in the vocal monitor and used the L2m to monitor my guitar. Works great but I also love traveling light and just using the Helix directly to the board and hearing the guitar back in the monitor. Doesn't have quite the same air moving behind you effect but a decent soundman can make sure the audience is getting a great guitar mix and I don't have to worry about blasting out the people in the front rows. The trick can be getting the right vocal to guitar mix in the monitor if you are a singer as well.

I have used an L2m before in pretty much the first manner you described. The L6 link out from the Helix to the L2m and then the L2m out to the mixer. I also had a vocal monitor so I was not returning anything from the mixer desk to the L2m. If you have the L3t behind you and also return guitar from the mixer to the vocal monitor in front, you will probably end up with phase cancellation so I kept the vocal/band mix with none of my guitar in the vocal monitor and used the L2m to monitor my guitar. Works great but I also love traveling light and just using the Helix directly to the board and hearing the guitar back in the monitor. Doesn't have quite the same air moving behind you effect but a decent soundman can make sure the audience is getting a great guitar mix and I don't have to worry about blasting out the people in the front rows. The trick can be getting the right vocal to guitar mix in the monitor if you are a singer as well.

Thanks for answering. Now how about sending helix sound to the l3t and getting also the return from the board to l3t for exemple in the vocal input (set flat) so I also can balance volume between my guitar and the band monitor? Tried this? Would "vocals+gt+bass+drums" take too much dynamics from the speakers?

Thanks for answering. Now how about sending helix sound to the l3t and getting also the return from the board to l3t for exemple in the vocal input (set flat) so I also can balance volume between my guitar and the band monitor? Tried this? Would "vocals+gt+bass+drums" take too much dynamics from the speakers?

I haven't used my L2m's in exactly this configuration. I have an M20d mixer so when I am using the L2ms as whole band monitors the L6 Link connection is used by the L6 Link output from the M20d mixer, that makes the L6 Link input on the L2m unavailable to plug the Helix into. I wish the M20d mixer had L6 inputs, which I would then plug the Helix into, but it does not, only an L6 Link output. I run my Helix into the mixing board via XLR. I then just use the mixer to provide my monitor mix with the band and guitar. The L2m speakers sound excellent with the band as well as my guitar, I have had no issues with dynamics, just have to get the blend of guitar to, particularly in my case, the vocal levels right as you no longer have the separation of a separate guitar amp and vocal monitor wedge. Everything is coming out of the L2ms.

When I use the L2m strictly as a guitar amp for the Helix with other non Line6 PA systems, that is when I use the L6 Link from the Helix to the L2m and then out from the L2m to the PA and have a separate floor wedge/monitor for vocals and the rest of the band mix. I have not encountered a gig when using other PA systems where I did not have the option of an additional vocal monitor and therefor would have had to run a return back from the board to my L2m for the band mix. I believe it would work just fine that way though and you would have the advantage of being able to use the digital L6 Link connection direct from the Helix to the L2m (or L3t in your case). Btw, I do have the L3ts as well but I use them for FOH rather than monitors. As I alluded to earlier, the one thing I avoid is having guitar coming out of an L2m behind me as well as having the guitar come out of the vocal monitor in front of me to avoid phase cancellation, perhaps it would not be as much of an issue if you were using the L2m strictly as an off axis side-fill monitor for yourself and perhaps the rest of the band.