Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Error/stoppage while backing up bundle

maxx_smart

Hi -- just was working to update my firmware in my Helix to 1.12, and I discovered I was unable to export the Helix bundle to backup.  It gets to 20%, and then I get an error message on the Helix application that says "Unexpected or bad data type in the preset" -- and my Helix board itself is locked on "Transferring data -- please wait..."

The app and board will stay frozen in this manner as long as I could stand to wait (about an hour). Force quitting the Helix application on the comp allowed me to update the firmware --- but I was still unable to backup.  It still stops the backup at 20%.  Any idea how I can correct the "bad data" so that I can backup everything?  Thanks!

Try backing up the individual setlists rather than the bundle. I know it won't correct the error but it might get you the backup. You can then restore the individual setlists after the firmware update.

I find this more practical than backing up the bundle because some firmware updates include new factory presets. Restoring setlits will let you keep the new stuff while restoring your custom setlists.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have just encountered this problem when trying to back up a setlist and was searching to see if there were any solutions posted here.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Ideally I don't want to have to save each individual patch 1 by 1... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have just encountered this problem when trying to back up a setlist and was searching to see if there were any solutions posted here.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Ideally I don't want to have to save each individual patch 1 by 1... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is this a setlist you created then created custom presets?  I had a problem backing up then decided to use the FS10+FS11 rebuild current presets feature and everything worked fine.  What I mean is that, with the USB cord disconnected, the application closed, and the board completely powered off; I hold FS10 + FS11 as I turn on the board until it says something to the effects of "will rebuild presets".  I then release the footswitches and wait until it is done.

As to why, I found that with F/W 1.12 there is a bug that seems to create a situation based upon DSP usage that can create this behavior in some patches, not all.  Line 6 has assured me it is tied into something the next F/W upgrade will resolve.

For me, my backups have backups  :rolleyes: so I backup individual presets that I have created just because that is what I do.  In the long run it is good for my versioning system I have as well.  It has also saved me several times from the grief of recreating presets that complain about this "bad data type" when exporting setlists or bundles; since I am connected to the computer I export when finished with a preset as part of my process so it merely added 5 seconds to the creation process. ;)

Dennis

Hi -- just was working to update my firmware in my Helix to 1.12, and I discovered I was unable to export the Helix bundle to backup.  It gets to 20%, and then I get an error message on the Helix application that says "Unexpected or bad data type in the preset" -- and my Helix board itself is locked on "Transferring data -- please wait..."

The app and board will stay frozen in this manner as long as I could stand to wait (about an hour). Force quitting the Helix application on the comp allowed me to update the firmware --- but I was still unable to backup.  It still stops the backup at 20%.  Any idea how I can correct the "bad data" so that I can backup everything?  Thanks!

Your error may well be unrelated to this bug but try using the supplied Excel sheet and workaround detailed in the link below if you are getting the "Rebuilding" messages when you start the Helix.  Fixing these problem presets may allow your backup to function normally although perhaps more often this behavior seems to be an issue with the USB connectivity.

http://line6.com/support/topic/20454-grid-for-getting-rid-of-the-preset-rebuild-messages-on-boot-in-latest-firmware-1120/?hl=grid