Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone controls have little effect on acoustic models

amsdenj

Anyone noticed that the tone control, which is suppose to control mic position, makes little effect on Variax Standard acoustic models when using VDI into a Helix? They seem to work properly when using the 1/4" input, but not when using the VDI input. The tone controls work fine on other models, they just seem to have no effect on the acoustic models. Maybe I need to see how they're configured with Workbench HD.

• Upvote 1

As far as I know, control over the modeled mic position applies only to the acoustic models...for the others, the tone control behaves as it would on that particular guitar. So I'd expect the behavior of the tone control to be different for acoustic vs. electric models. Now whether the control of the mic position modeling is any good, or accurately reflects what moving an actual mic would do to the sound, is another discussion altogether...

Q: What does the Tone knob do on the newer HD acoustic models on the JTV guitars?
A: The Tone knob on the new HD acoustic models is used to adjust the amount of body resonance for the model, but it was also specially programmed to have the top 10% of the Tone knob completely remove this resonance (at the 90-100% position) for those that prefer to remove that sound from the new acoustic models to closely resemble the flat nature of the older acoustic models from previous Variax guitars.

I totally stand corrected on my first post i think that was before the HD models