Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AMPLIFI TT + FBV Shortboark Mk II or Firehawk FX?

Kareem33

I'm considering buying either of the above options... any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm leaning towards the TT

+ Shortboard option for approx AUD$150 less, and the ability to run it into my home hi-fi system, instead of a guitar Amp.

Cheers.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the suggestion.

I had considered the Amplifi FX100, however I think I prefer the:

1. TT's small form factor and extra audio outputs.
  2. I've also read using the FBV shortboard Mk II external foot switch with the TT actually has more functionality than the Amplifi FX100's built in

http://line6.com/support/topic/10713-hi-guys-comparison-between-amplifi-tt-and-fx-100/

"The short board (MKII) along with the TT actually offers MORE control than just the FX100 board.  Most notable differences would be the full display that will give you patch and bank numbers, one button control of bank switching (pressing the 2 FX100 buttons simultaneously to switch is hard if not impossible for a small foot), and the ability to turn off and on individual effects within a chain just like a real stomp box."

Cost ($AUD) wise I'm looking at (approx, incl shipping):

Amplifi FX100 = $440

Amplifi TT ($320) + Shortboard Mk II ($250) = $570

Firehawk FX = $699 (plus postage)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the suggestion.

I had considered the Amplifi FX100, however I think I prefer the:

• TT's small form factor and extra audio outputs.
  • I've also read using the FBV shortboard Mk II external foot switch with the TT actually has more functionality than the Amplifi FX100's built in
http://line6.com/support/topic/10713-hi-guys-comparison-between-amplifi-tt-and-fx-100/

"The short board (MKII) along with the TT actually offers MORE control than just the FX100 board. Most notable differences would be the full display that will give you patch and bank numbers, one button control of bank switching (pressing the 2 FX100 buttons simultaneously to switch is hard if not impossible for a small foot), and the ability to turn off and on individual effects within a chain just like a real stomp box."

Cost ($AUD) wise I'm looking at (approx, incl shipping):

Amplifi FX100 = $440

Amplifi TT ($320) + Shortboard Mk II ($250) = $570

Firehawk FX = $699 (plus postage)

Hey Kareem

I'm not sure if you are checking sources such as Sweetwater or even Reverb.com but the former has been selling the Firehawk FX for $449 for nearly a year! Not sure where you got that price. Also I bought mine brand new in the box from Reverb.com for $370 + shipping!! At that price in your $$$ formula, the Firehawk FX would clearly be the best option. Believe me the MK II Shortboard, TT, FBV 3 or anything Amplifi have absolutely nothing on the Firehawk. It truly is a brilliant piece of hardware! The 25 HD amps alone are worth the money let alone the 120+ effects. Many are HD as well. And the output choices are infinite. Color coded footswitches are killer. You should do a bit mor homework. Not to mention Guitar Player editor's Pick for 2015!

Jim

Thanks Jim,

My prices quoted are all Australian Dollars, so they vary significantly from the US online retailers you've quoted (availability is also a factor here).

That said, I really appreciate the advice RE the Firehawk FX over a AMPLIFi.

I hope to try a Firehawk FX out on the weekend at a local retailer to help me decide.

Question:

I'd like to hook the Firehawk FX up to my lounge room Hi-Fi (instead of into a Guitar Amp, or other device). Any experience or knowledge RE this?

I ask as both the AMPLIFi products mentioned in the manuals use in this way, but the Firehawk is a bit more vague RE using the mains out as a line out in this way...

Cheers.

The outputs of the mains were designed to work with biamped powered speakers like you find with most PA systems or portable monitor systems such as the Line 6 LT series or Bose, Friedman, Mackie, etc. but some home stereos may be supported using 1/4 in cable adapters and the aux jack of the stereo receiver or pre-amp. You may have to research your particular system.

Jim