Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to asm-12 to FOH

gsummers

I just purchased the asm-12 frfr to go with the helix. I am working towards making the jump to play live with the helix to frfr to FOH combo. I have always used modelers in the studio only, so I am nervous of this venture away from my traditional amp and pedalboard. I'd like to anticipate any issues ahead of time and be realistic.

I play in an original hard rock band and we usually play out with 3-5 other bands on the bill and changeovers are quick. I don't always know what the FOH situation is so this makes me nervous since I've never sent anything other than a mic'ed cab from my rig to PA. Here are my thoughts on what I plan to do.

Right now I'm planning on XLR out of helix to XLR input to Friedman then XLR out of the Friedman to FOH (Set to line output). I was initially concerned after reading about controlling my monitoring volume and it affecting FOH but there is a volume control on the Friedman. It's not very convenient in the back of the unit so if there is another way to independently control my volume without affecting FOH then please chime in.

My other concerns are EQ. I will have my patches setup and EQ'ed to my liking only to have the house guy tell me it sounds terrible out front. Since I'm giving him an out from the frfr he's getting my EQ. Please educate me since this is new territory for me. If there is another preferred setup then I'm all for suggestions.

• Upvote 1

I think some people send 1/4" Helix outs to their monitoring rig, and XLRs to FOH. In global settings, you can apply the global EQ to the 1/4" outs and not the XLRs, so it doesn't affect the PA. In that scenario, the global EQ is best used to compensate for differences in rooms, not as part of "your sound" as you hand to FOH.

• Upvote 1

I have this same rig. Yes any guitar center will have a 1/4 to XLR cable. As mentioned I settl the big volume knob to control of the ASM (1/4) only. XLR to FOH is fixed. I also turn the ASM volume knob on back all the way up.

• Upvote 1

I have this same rig. Yes any guitar center will have a 1/4 to XLR cable. As mentioned I settl the big volume knob to control of the ASM (1/4) only. XLR to FOH is fixed. I also turn the ASM volume knob on back all the way up.

Great thanks guys! Will try this.

• Upvote 1