Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk 1500 cuts out when changing patches

schecterdentist

Hi

I've had my Firehawk 1500 for about 3 weeks now - it sounds incredible, but I have been having problems with the amp freezing when changing patches.

It initially happened when I was browsing patches on the iPad app, but has since done it when using the FBV shortboard MkII, with Bluetooth switched off on the amp. It seems completely random as to which patch causes the problem, but once the sound has cut out, I have to turn the amp off and on again. 

I found a thread with people experiencing similar problems with the Firehawk FX unit, but haven't seen any reports of this problem with the amp.

I have installed the latest firmware, removed everything from my tones (there was nothing special in there!), and performed multiple factory resets, but if anything, it seems to be getting worse. I wonder if I just have a bad unit? .. I am going to see if the supplier will exchange it as I am still within 28 days of purchase. Any ideas??

Cheers

• Upvote 2

My bandmate and I both have the Firehawk 1500. His seems to do this and mine doesn't. On his it was a certain acoustic patch that seemed to cause it. If you switched to that patch the sound went but the amp was still responsive.

A reboot sorted it.

We used another clean patch and it seems to be ok now. I think something in the original patch must have somehow got corrupted when it was saved/edited/renamed and caused the amp to crash somehow.

• Upvote 1

I haven't experienced this issue. I do notice a slight delay however when I switch patches.  I've learned to compensate for it by adjusting my timing when swapping patches, but there's still a split second where the sound audibly drops.  I'm lucky enough that I'm in a pro level situation that includes a second guitar player, so the drop out is not really noticeable when we are both playing at the same time.  However, if I was the only guitar player in the band, it would be an issue.  I really hope that Line 6, looks into the patch switching latency issue.  Again it's very minor (maybe 0.2 of a second) but it's enough to drive me mad when I'm practicing in the studio, without another guitar there to fill up the gap.  One thing that I've been experimenting with, is putting a 90 milisecond slapback ducking delay, on the mixing board, and assigning it to my guitar channel.  It really helps to mask the dropout to the audience, but of course it's still audible coming out of my amp.  But with this work around, I at least feel better that the audience isn't experiencing the drop out, so it's just a mental battle that I have to overcome.  LOL

• Upvote 1

Have my Firehawk for about 2 weeks and am having this drop out problem as well. No rhyme or reason to but suddenly I have no sound when changing patches. Only comes back on by rebooting the amp. I can't tell if it just happens with Remote connected via Bluetooth or with patch selection via the Amp mounted button.

I bought this thing to use as a FRFH power-amp/speaker for my Helix after listening to the UK Andertons guys Youtube video mentioning it for that purpose. I haven't yet hooked it up for that. Was using my Amplifi 150 but it's a toy and really not suited for serious playing. It also has an occasional cut out when changing patches issue. I hope this isn't a "Systemic" Line 6 software problem!! I'm already pissed I can't edit a Variax hooked up to either the Helix OR the Firehawk!! What are the Line 6 guys thinking?? I've got 4 Variax's and need to hook up an Old POD500HD pedal to edit the guitar models!! YAMAHA GO HOME!!!!

• Upvote 1

I bought this thing to use as a FRFH power-amp/speaker for my Helix after listening to the UK Andertons guys Youtube video mentioning it for that purpose. I haven't yet hooked it up for that. 

Yeah, that's how I use mine, and also why I bought it! I have the FBV3 too; but seem to always just find myself preferring using Helix! Definitely run some Helix patches through it; sound is incredible.

Have my Firehawk for about 2 weeks and am having this drop out problem as well. No rhyme or reason to but suddenly I have no sound when changing patches. Only comes back on by rebooting the amp. I can't tell if it just happens with Remote connected via Bluetooth or with patch selection via the Amp mounted button.

I bought this thing to use as a FRFH power-amp/speaker for my Helix after listening to the UK Andertons guys Youtube video mentioning it for that purpose. I haven't yet hooked it up for that. Was using my Amplifi 150 but it's a toy and really not suited for serious playing. It also has an occasional cut out when changing patches issue. I hope this isn't a "Systemic" Line 6 software problem!! I'm already pissed I can't edit a Variax hooked up to either the Helix OR the Firehawk!! What are the Line 6 guys thinking?? I've got 4 Variax's and need to hook up an Old POD500HD pedal to edit the guitar models!! YAMAHA GO HOME!!!!

I managed to exchange mine for a new one from the supplier - this example seems to be much more stable, but it cut out this evening for the first time. I was using the app on an iPhone 6 to edit a patch whilst streaming a track from Spotify, and changing patches with FBV2. It has only happened the once, but will see how it goes. Since your amp is so new, it may be worth exchanging it.

I have a JTV89F variax, and haven't had any problems controlling it through the amp, however you only seem to be able to edit the variax settings on a patch when the variax is connected to the amp - an extra tab appears in the app on the far left of the effects chain.

• Upvote 1

Hi Schecterdentist,

Firehawk only seems to "drop out" when I use the app on my Ipad. We will see -- I'm still not totally happy with the $3K I've dropped on new gear that has little or no backward compatibility - Can't run Workbench with either the Helix or the Firehawk. I figured it wouldn't work with my Amplifi 150 - No Variax (VDI) input on it BUT I'm in awe that these two devices with the damn VDI inputs don't run their own editing software. This is BS!!!!! This was my biggest purchase of gear this year. I'm definitely disappointed and I haven't heard any response from our Yamaha fearing Line 6 staffers!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I managed to exchange mine for a new one from the supplier - this example seems to be much more stable, but it cut out this evening for the first time. I was using the app on an iPhone 6 to edit a patch whilst streaming a track from Spotify, and changing patches with FBV2. It has only happened the once, but will see how it goes. Since your amp is so new, it may be worth exchanging it.

I have a JTV89F variax, and haven't had any problems controlling it through the amp, however you only seem to be able to edit the variax settings on a patch when the variax is connected to the amp - an extra tab appears in the app on the far left of the effects chain.

Hi, how is going the new FH, the problem of latency in the change of patch is solved? Or is a firmware problem? Do u recomened to buy the Firehawk? I did back my amplifi 150, because are very slow to change patch using the bluetooth and i'm thinking to buy the Firehawk but im reading the same problem here. 

• 3 months later...

My firehawk is also cutting out when changing patches and loading patches. It does it a lot more often when I use the iPad software. It seems like every 2 or 3 patches I load from the iPad it stops working and I have to power off and on to get sound again. The android app doesn't cause this problem nearly as much, sometimes it won't cause it to go silent at all. When switching patches with the Fbv 3 it also shuts the sound off, but once again a quick power off and the sound is there again. It got better when I did a re flash but the problem is still exists. Has anyone found a way to fix this or know where the problem is coming from? I love the sounds but this problem renders the amp unusable and not dependable for live applications. Is it early production serial # problem? If it was a bad component why does the android app have less effect on the shutdowns? It has to be firmware - software related. I have owned and do own a lot of line 6 gear and have never had a problem like this. Line 6 can you confirm this is a bug or bad amp? Thank you

Had similar problems. I think it has to do with the Bluetooth APIs in mobile operating systems not working 100% with the Bluetooth on the amp.

You are unlikely to get a response from Line 6 here.

They seem to have a policy of 'do not confirm or deny anything'...

I've had mine for 6 months now and live the sounds I can get from it, but there are niggles which I'm sure the manufacturer is well aware of, but they are ominously quiet. Should you get any update please let us all know.

• 1 year later...

I having the same issues with FH150 lockups. Variax 69, fbv3 switching bank 28-b to 28-d and then it locks up. No sound but I can switch patches but no sound. I have the latest 1.30 installed and reinstalled them as per Line6. Have to power off and back on to correct it.

The 28-d is an acoustic model 12 string.