Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - Patch 2 activation

frankiman

Hi there. It seems I only come here to post any time I buy a new Line 6 unit. Sorry for not being a more active member.

Just got the Helix and I'm trying to find my way around it and use some of the functionality that I am used to, having been a Pod X3 and then Pod HD500x user for years.

I have a patch with  Path 1A and 1B. I can go between them by moving the expression pedal up and down. Just like I did with my Pod HD500. Toe position Dirty sound, Heel position a clean sound.

I then created a second Path (2A) which I would like it to be my Lead tone. Can I assign a foot switch to go deactivate Path 1AB and then activate Path 2A? is this possible? 

There is a reason why I am doing this.

At first I had Path 1 A and B to be the dirty with Lead boost and then Path 2 be my clean sound and go between them with the expression pedal, the problem was I could not get the expression pedal to go smoothly between the 2 patches. Whether I used linear or algorithmic curve the clean sound faded very quickly leaving dead air as I roll to the Distortion sound.

So I guess, if there is a solution to either scenario above I would be much grateful to you

Thanks

Hi watch4king,

I read in the manual that the input can't have a footswitch assigned so maybe there is no way to have path 2 active / inactive by way of a switch. If i am wrong i would welcome someone's correction.

In the meantime i was able to fix the volume issue. I now have my dirty and lead tone in path 1A and 1B. I change between them via 1 single footswitch that adds volumne boost, reverb and delay to my signal.

Then in path 2A i have a clean amp with its effects. I change between paths using the exp2 pedal, the trick is in the output for both signals. The dirty one (path 1) i tell it the lowest volume is -120db and highest is 0db. Then the clean path (path2) the lowest and highest volume has to be in 0db. Now as i change from clean to dirty using the exp pedal the change is smooth and even between tones.

Frankiman,

there is another way in which you can have a separate amp on the first channel with an A/B switch. That way you can switch between a clean amp and a distortion channel. Here's a good video tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBm91miPTcs

I did that and loaded the B path with the delays,reverbs and other modulations can can be switched on and off after either one of the amps.

• Upvote 1

You can't have a footswitch assigned to "activate a path" but there are a couple easy ways to make it work the way you want.

1)  Use an A/B split assigned to a footswithc as mentioned above.

2) Add in a volume block on each of the paths at the very first spot.  Set the "position" on both to 0 and bypass one of them.  Assign them to the same footswitch and it will basically toggle between the 1st and 2nd paths.  This way you can have both amps/rigs run with serial and parallel FX if you want.

Remember to un-assign those 2 volume blocks from the Exp pedal controller since you only want them to toggle between the paths  

I have a patch with  Path 1A and 1B. I can go between them by moving the expression pedal up and down. Just like I did with my Pod HD500. Toe position Dirty sound, Heel position a clean sound.

I then created a second Path (2A) which I would like it to be my Lead tone. Can I assign a foot switch to go deactivate Path 1AB and then activate Path 2A? is this possible? 

Another way to do this is to have the footswitch adjust volume. 100% path A and 0% path B on "off" state, the opposite on "on" state. Even more fun. have one footswitch for one and one for the other so you can have both at the same time. The volume wackiness thing you notice is the reason that I'm glad Helix will let me do this with a footswitch instead, which works way better for me.

Another way to do this is to have the footswitch adjust volume. 100% path A and 0% path B on "off" state, the opposite on "on" state. Even more fun. have one footswitch for one and one for the other so you can have both at the same time. The volume wackiness thing you notice is the reason that I'm glad Helix will let me do this with a footswitch instead, which works way better for me.

This is what I do. I assigned the output volume of each path to seperate foot switches so I can use A or B or both.

Frankiman,

there is another way in which you can have a separate amp on the first channel with an A/B switch. That way you can switch between a clean amp and a distortion channel. Here's a good video tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBm91miPTcs

I did that and loaded the B path with the delays,reverbs and other modulations can can be switched on and off after either one of the amps.

watch4king +1

Just when I thought I'd take a break from my practice, Helix configuration, weekend gigs, and work to spend time with my wife & family ... Wow, so I used the video as a foundation and am off and running.  The one thing that stands out for me is how full the preset sounds I have created using this idea.  I bought a few of Glenn's presets and am in the middle of adjusting my latest ones and his to fit this A/B switching amp concept.  Thanks to the OP for the question and all for their answers.

Oh yea, I will be taking some of the family to the movies tomorrow evening ... just saying! ;) 

Dennis