Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FBV 3 Defective?

While I wait for my Helix to ship, I ordered the FBV 3 controller to operate my Line 6 Spider Valve Mkii 212 amp for two upcoming gigs. It arrived today and it's been giving me tons of issues.

First, it has trouble switching from preset to preset - had to hit it multiple times. Next, my guitar kept cutting out and there were random volume increases. The unit turned off. Turned the amp back on, unplugged the FBV cable, turned on but kept cutting out.

I figured it was an issue with my firmware on my Spider Valve Mkii. Didn't update from version 1.2 because I liked the tones I was getting and heard there were some changes (Not all positive). Nevertheless, I updated to 2.0 using my FBV express (which continues to have NO problems).

Restarted the amp and plugged in the FBV 3. It works for a second, then when I try to switch to another preset via the foot switch, it stops working. Now it won't even turn on despite restarting the amp and re-plugging the FBV cable in.

The FBV 3 is advertised as being compatible with the Spider Valve Mkii. I'm hoping that this is a defective unit, but I can't imagine how. I sadly have no other Line 6 amps to try it with to determine whether it is or not. I've been a long-time Line 6 fan and the only reason I switched from the FBV express Mkii was because the foot switches are plastic and can stick (plus they're too close together). The FBV 3 looked like a great solution, but I have a feeling Line 6 didn't do the testing necessary on older products and assumed because it's similar to the FBV shortboard, this would work too.

• Like 1

...The FBV 3 is advertised as being compatible with the Spider Valve Mkii...

As of my post today, I wonder what any FBV3 Manual says about how to use it with the SV Mkii? It's so wrong to release this unit on it's most dedicated fans without basic instructions. How can we recommend it to anyone without our own positive experiences? I would love to help L6 right this ship!

As of my post today, I wonder what any FBV3 Manual says about how to use it with the SV Mkii? It's so wrong to release this unit on it's most dedicated fans without basic instructions. How can we recommend it to anyone without our own positive experiences? I would love to help L6 right this ship!

The manual says nothing about the FBV 3 - I believe that's one major criticism. As someone who personally just dropped over $2,000 on Line 6 products in the last week alone, I am disappointed in the initial rollout of the FBV 3. I'd really like to hear from someone at Line 6 as to whether the FBV 3 is indeed compatible with the Spider Valve Mkii as they claim before I return it for a new one. As it is, this is a huge hassle, and I have no idea why a new unit that had no signs of damage would be defective.

Has anyone else who has the FBV 3 had any issues with defective units?

I too just got my FBV 3 last week and am having issues with my Spider Valve MKII 212. The board powers up and I have display, but seems very sluggish to respond (if it responds) to pedal presses. If I hold down the TAP button, it will not turn on the tuner (if I press the TUNER button on the amp it will come on). I pressed the BANK UP button 5-6 times before it would respond......for $249 this thing is a piece! Thinking of returning it to Zzounds. WTF Line 6?

• 1 year later...