Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will the Helix have scenes?

benlampard

Hey guys,

Just took my new Helix to the rehearsal room today to put it through its paces. Sounds are all great and I'm getting some great tones from it (4CM with a Diezel Einstein).

A problem I'm having is the combination of the "1 button per block" rule with the latency when switching between patches. I often need to switch several FX on or off whilst switching my amp channels simultaneously. I realised that the Helix didn't allow for more than one button to control each effect, but I didn't realise there was such a noticeable latency when switching patches! My battered old GT-100 suffered from neither problem, so it's confusing to me why the Helix does.

I've seen it suggested that the Helix will be updated with a "scenes" mode to incorporate multiple FX switches at once, and that the latency issue will be addressed. Does anyone know whether these are being tackled, and if so what the time frame is? It's a bit disappointing to have this awesome bit of kit with such a fatal flaw!

(I've seen and voted for the Scenes suggestion on the Ideascale site)

Thanks,

Ben

Sorry, but if I understood you correctly, you're saying that you can't assign two or more effects to one switch?

Something sounds weird regarding this, baceuse I have a patch and in this patch I have7blocks assigned to it. It turns on and off many blocks and there is no latency.

But it is true that when switching patches, we face some delay....that's a problem.

I believe sometime in the future they will implement something like scenes, but it is all on hardware and programming stuff and they need to check if it is possible/do-able.

This might be the #1 request I've heard

Nobody who truly knows if or when can tell you one way or the other. (NDA, etc.)

We know they won't call it "scenes" if they do it.

We know that they have hinted that they like the idea a whole lot.

They have also hinted that they may be able to eventually tighten up the amount of time it takes to switch patches and such.

• Downvote 1

"Scenes" have been hinted at for the last 6 months. I was at one of those Line 6 Helix tone classes back in March and the guy doing it said it would be coming any day and still nothing. I think the editor ended up really pushing everything that was coming way back.

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

Lokimoto, the problem is that if I assign a delay and a reverb to one button, I can't then use another button to switch on just the delay. Those two FX are now locked together.

I suppose a work-around would be to create an instance of every effect combination I'd need within the patch, then have them activated by their own switches. 

Glad that it's high on Line 6's list of priorities to fix, but it really presents a problem for me to make my rig giggable.

Forgive my ignorance, but where should I submit feedback to Line 6?

Cheers!

Ben

I've found a temporary solution - switching the Control display to show half patches and half stomps. This is a good halfway house, letting me significantly alter a patch on the fly with no dropouts while still being able to switch quickly to other patches if I need to. I think of this as having presets 1-4 on one row, then sub-variants of each preset on the top row (ie 2, 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d etc.) Trouble is, of course, if I want to swap between 2a and 2c I have to turn 2a OFF and 2c ON, or switch patches and deal with the drop out.

A workable, probably giggable solution, but not ideal! I know L6 are aware, and it sounds like they probably will implement "scenes" at some point, but it really can't come soon enough for me.